Looking for a group

Options
I am 175lbs, I want to lose 40. I am 37years old, so it is a little tougher. Anyhow, I need a group for motivation. My husband and kids love to eat out. I come home tired from work and I don’t have energy to cook. That’s why I am here, I need help to resist restaurants, motivation to cook, and help controlling portions. This year I am so pumped to begin changing my eating habits and lifestyle. This is my first social network, ever. That’s how committed I am starting since yesterday. Other things that effect my weight issues is that I have many friends and family members, I always go out to eat with them. Just yesterday, I send everyone a message telling them not to invite me to restaurants since I might still be weak with fat foods. To the group that I get support from, I can bring tips and my experiences of many diets and programs that I’ve tried. I know it all comes down to consistency and changing your eating habits for good. I need to join a group.

Replies

• Abbeyaylin
    Abbeyaylin Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    New Year, New Me
  • johntomboy
    johntomboy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Abbey, I would love to have a support buddy. I am up at my all time weight of 188 and am committed to losing 40 pounds. I gained a lot of weight after developing a thyroid problem and now, on medication, I have stabilized by not had the steadfast discipline to maintain the necessary diet/exercise to lose it. I'd love to find someone to check in with each day and offer support and accountability. Does this feel like something that you'd benefit from?
  • Abbeyaylin
    Options
    Yes, add me as your friend .
  • hamptonn11
    hamptonn11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I noticed that going out to eat doesn't have to be any less enjoyable though! we just went out to eat and the majority of things on a menu (if it is a chain restaurant) are on this app! I find something to fit in my calories and then go for it! I would love to help you stay motivated as I need it also!!!
  • adhblake
    adhblake Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Abbey! I am in the same boat as you with the same goals. I am 176 needing to lose around 40lbs, and I am a 36 year old mom. It is SO hard when you have to manage kid meals and your own, but I am dedicated to it this year.

I used the myfitnesspal app after my first baby (years ago) and it worked fabulously... but after my second child, I just fell off the wagon. He's 3, so its time to make change, and 2018 is the year! But anyhow, I found just being consistent with logging your food was key. Even if you go out to eat, you can find the food on the app and make your choices wisely from there.

I am going to add you as a friend if you would like extra accountability/motivation too... I know it helps me. :)
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Sending FR :)

Don't buy into the age factor - it's bunk. I'm 40 (will be 41 in February) and when I was 37 I thought the same thing. I was 170 and "couldn't lose weight". I thought it was thyroid, age, carbs, kids, etc. It was actually me. I was the problem. I wasn't controlling my portions. I wasn't weighing my food and logging everything I consumed. I didn't know someone who was 170 shouldn't have a goal of 2 pounds a week loss.

When I started using MFP and learning how to lose weight it really is simple.
    Let MFP create a reasonable calorie goal (0.5-1 pound a week is reasonable for most overweight people).
    Get a food scale and start weighing your food.
    Cook from home more. Get a crock pot or Instant Pot and put it to good use.
    Log everything you consume. Good, Bad, Ugly - just log it.
    Use correct entries - no homemade or generic.
    Move more. 15-30 minutes a day adds up.
    Have patience.
  • melissaoct6
    melissaoct6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Abbey (and friends)-

I could also use some support and motivation with my weight loss goals this year. I got married last year and actually was doing pretty good with my workouts and nutrition before the wedding. I've fallen off the wagon since and would love the accountability and support of a group.

I will say what did help me last year when losing was to remember that weight loss can be simple math; calories in < calories burned = weight loss. Of course, I was counting calories too, which I've always dreaded because it was so overwhelming for me. Sitting down to figure out what my daily calorie goals were, what foods/meals I could make to fit those, and giving myself a day to shop & prep meals was absolutely the key! Jillian Michaels book "Master Your Metabolism" was a great reference which I saw real results when following her guidelines.

Sorry if that's unsolicited advice, but I surprised myself last year so I know anyone can do it. Just be kind and patient with yourself and hopefully we can get a friendly & supportive group here.

One last thing about myself, I've been avoiding the scale but guess I weigh between 160-165 and my goal would be to lose 20 lbs, possibly more depending on how I feel at that weight.
  • Michael_Axten
    Michael_Axten Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Sign me up Abbey let’s crack this in 2018
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I log before I eat for portion control so if I log and am under yay eat more if I log and am in zone then that's my food. lol
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hi Abbey! Add me, please, let’s all help each other,
  • Abbeyaylin
    Options
    Weighing food??? I like that.. <3 I am new to My Fitness Pal Forums, community chats, so I am still working with it, but if there’s a already a group, sent me an invite to join please