2018 lets do this - Dietitian Tips

Options
daisycakes18
daisycakes18 Posts: 5 Member
edited January 2018 in Introduce Yourself
Heyyyy all! New year better you? Let's talk healthy diet tips and fitness here! I'm a registered dietitian working in acute medicine so definitely in the best position to help with diet queries! Let 2018 be the start of your best health :)

Replies

• slimbyjune18
    slimbyjune18 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks for offering! What’s your recommendation on setting an ultimate goal??BMI is such a wide bracket, would be interested to know where you’d recommend aiming for. Thanks!
  • daisycakes18
    Options
    Hehe let the questions begin! What is your current BMI? The healthy BMI bracket is between 18.5-25kg/m2! If you are underweight atm I would aim for a BMI of 20 and if overweight I would aim for a BMI of 25. Remember that BMI is only a guide to a healthy weight and doesn't account for body composition i.e. muscle / fat %
  • Aryanvasusingh
    Aryanvasusingh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the offer! My little brother is 17 and he is a bit obese . He was thinking of taking up the intermittent fasting. Should he?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    What is the best lycopene source for a raw vegan and weight of the serving?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the offer! My little brother is 17 and he is a bit obese . He was thinking of taking up the intermittent fasting. Should he?

IF is an eating style, unless he reduces his calorie intake, it wont cause him to lose weight,
  • slimbyjune18
    Options
    Hehe let the questions begin! What is your current BMI? The healthy BMI bracket is between 18.5-25kg/m2! If you are underweight atm I would aim for a BMI of 20 and if overweight I would aim for a BMI of 25. Remember that BMI is only a guide to a healthy weight and doesn't account for body composition i.e. muscle / fat %

Thanks.. I’m slightly over, 25.7. I definitely want to get below 25, I wondered whether your advice would be to aim for 23 or so? I’m 150lb at 5ft 4, aiming for 135, however, that’s a number I’ve plucked out.
  • daisycakes18
    Options

I wouldn't say that's the best solution particularly taking into consideration what TavistockToad contributed. I would encourage more activity for a 17 year old - an active hobby, and a structured diet with healthy snacks. You're looking really for a 500 kcal deficit to achieve weight loss which can be achieved most easily by increasing daily activity and reducing intake of unhealthy snacks! I can't comment further as I don't know his personal diet habits. Hope that helps!
  • daisycakes18
    Options

The richest source of lycopene is tomato and tomato products ! Tomato juice would give you 25mg in a cup x
  • daisycakes18
    Options

Thanks.. I’m slightly over, 25.7. I definitely want to get below 25, I wondered whether your advice would be to aim for 23 or so? I’m 150lb at 5ft 4, aiming for 135, however, that’s a number I’ve plucked out.

That sounds like a good target :) any weight between 18.5-25kg/m2 as a guide (ignoring the limitations of BMI) sounds like a sensible target.. And it comes down to preference on where you want to sit in that bracket! I would aim for 10% weight loss 0.5-1kg drop per week.. and see if you're happy with that :) focus on how you feel and what you look like in the mirror rather than just the number on the scale! Xx
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

The richest source of lycopene is tomato and tomato products ! Tomato juice would give you 25mg in a cup x

But you don't absorb it not heated do you?
  • slimbyjune18
    Options

That sounds like a good target :) any weight between 18.5-25kg/m2 as a guide (ignoring the limitations of BMI) sounds like a sensible target.. And it comes down to preference on where you want to sit in that bracket! I would aim for 10% weight loss 0.5-1kg drop per week.. and see if you're happy with that :) focus on how you feel and what you look like in the mirror rather than just the number on the scale! Xx

Thank you! That’s great. Final question (promise!) what’s your view on alcohol? I’m having a couple of weeks with none, but would you carry that on while getting to goal? I enjoy it however it’s the main reason I’ve got 15lb to lose!
  • jpritchett39
    jpritchett39 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get on target to lose about 200 pounds. Any suggestions would be great!