Trying to get into running. VERY INEXPERIENCED

Options
Hi guys,
I am trying to get into running, but I don't know where to start.whenever I try to run I run for like 30 seconds and either things hurt or I'm out of breath and start walking again. I know you are supposed to run slow enough so that you can have a conversation but for me that would be just walking. Any advice? Also any indoor, at home workout that's could help? I appreciate all answers!

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are off to the right start... jog when you can, walk when you can't... rinse and repeat. Take things slow and easy, whatever "slow and easy" is for you. Keep at it and give it time. Probably more time than you want/think. Progress and improvement will come.
  • THeADHDTurnip
    THeADHDTurnip Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    What kind of shoes are you wearing? Don't make the same mistake I did by wearing flat soled skateboarding shoes.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Build up to where you can easily walk 30 minutes at a brisk pace, then start Couch to 5k.

There is a group for support: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • rmtanner
    rmtanner Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You've made a great start, getting off the sofa!! Nothing wrong with run/walk, just aim to walk a bit less, run a bit more each time. Don't stress yourself about it, just improve gradually. I always find starting the hardest bit, good luck.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Definitely look up C25K and get fit for some good running shoes.

The best way to get better at running is to run more!
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I started running about 7 years ago, and even though I was in good shape, I had awful cardio. It took a while for me to build up the strength in my lungs and my legs. I started just running around my neighborhood. Run for a block, walk for a block, run for a block, walk for a block, etc etc. And then I'd decrease the amount I was walking until I could go the full distance.

You have to learn to pace yourself too. I started running with my dad who was already well trained and he would set the pace. I had to learn to slow down. Running is about pace and cadence. You have to go slow enough so that you can go for a while at a cadence that is comfortable.

I hope you end up loving running as much as I do! It's a great exercise and I find it's nice for stress relief and relaxation.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Honestly the thing that makes running easier is more running. Try a Couch to 5K program. Do you have access to a treadmill or indoor track? (It's subzero where I am right now, and even as a seasoned runner I am venturing outside as infrequently as possible). Breaking your run up into run/walk intervals is perfectly fine--push yourself to run a little further each time, but realize that you might have some setbacks--there are some days when you won't make it as far or as long.
  • kitcatbar99
    kitcatbar99 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The thing that helped push me to try to actually run more was a pace timer. I would set it so I would run for 30 seconds and then walk briskly for 2 and then repeat until I reached a mile or 15 minutes was up. When I could do the whole mile that way in the 15 minutes, I changed it to 30 seconds run then 1.5 minutes walk. Then 45 seconds run 1.5 minutes walk, etc. I would tell myself, I can do this for *insert time here* more seconds.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I am following this... I want to LOVE to run I really do, seems like a great way to burn a lot of calories and clear my mind all at the same time. I started late August in trying to run, I would walk then jog, walk then jog some more. It took me a few months but I was able to get myself to a point where I could run 30 minutes straight before having to slow it down to a brisk walk. Unfortunately I stopped and let things go a few months so now I am starting all over again... hey at least I am starting over and not giving up right? B)B) I did find that the right shoe helps a great deal. I had the worse shin splints at first and that was because I didn't have a good pair of running shoes. I spent a little bit of money to get a good pair of sneakers and it has made a world of difference. Stretching helps as well... get in a good stretch pre run and post run.

Keep going, go a little bit longer each time. You can do it!! Best of luck to you!
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    C25K app got me started running, you can go at your own pace, don't be afraid to repeat a week.
    Proper form is very important, I watched a couple YouTube videos to improve mine and it made my workouts a lot easier.
    Strength training will make running easier as well.
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 150 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Another vote for Couch to 5k! After trying and giving up 3 or 4 times, I finally finished C25K last year. What was most helpful to me was joining the C25K group here and slowing way down (seriously, I can walk faster than I jog). I'm re-doing the C25K this year because I stopped running when I got sick and life got hectic, and came here to search for the names of the C25K groups.

Edit: I should read the thread first! Thanks to Just_Ceci for posting the link.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Another vote for a C25K program. I highly recommend finding a running group in your area, running with others is a great motivator and you can find people with the same pace or program. I don't think I would have stuck with it without my group or attempted longer distances on my own.
  • daveredvette
    daveredvette Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    follow the good advice from others with the C25K. Proper fitted shoes will make a difference on your feet. Good running store should measure stride and watch how your ankles and feet land on on your stride.
    Shoes will be for support, not fashion.
    enjoy running
  • lemmyhead
    lemmyhead Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Sometimes my average run pace is so slow that its the speed of MFP's "Brisk Walk" when I go to log it... don't be afraid of walking; even top athletes who run ultra distances still walk parts of their races.

Someone else mentioned try run a block then walk a block... I started out even less than that; I would run "to the next letter box" or between 2 lamp posts, then walk the next 3, etc.

You'll have some days harder than others - bad runs have to happen so that you can have a good run in comparison!

And just keep at it. I started running 4 years ago when I could only run 1 letterbox to the next, and I still struggle. You'll learn a lot about yourself and find all new strength in yourself too.

(And if you need a laugh, there are billions of great running memes out there...)
    2yhe0gxmxr4w.png
    ddwo7rz0mc8l.png
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I suggest an app that tells you when to run/walk and starts you off very slow. The one I started with was called “running for weight loss”, and then I switched to runkeeper later. It was like having a coach in my earbuds keeping me going. On paper C25K programs, I never liked looking down at my stopwatch and the app made it easy to just go and listen for what I needed to do next. Each workout was a little bit harder but nothing over the top. I now run 3 miles no problem.