Running Advice?

Options
Hello :) I know a lot of runners... I would like to start running but I know it takes time to get better.

Do you all have any tips or recommendations for a new female runner? Favorite shoes? Favorite places to run? Best streches?

Replies

• GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I say use this phone app: C25K

It builds up your endurance at a gradual pace. It tells you when to walk and when to jog. Good luck!
  • sharonrohmann
    sharonrohmann Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Good advice from @dewd2 above on training programs and shoes!

I too need to incorporate more stretching (after the run like he said), but as an older runner it's a little less optional for me in staying injury-free, as is some kind of cross-training.

Start slow. Heart rate monitors are not for elite runners only, but for anyone who wants to track their training and improvement. Chances are a sustainable running pace is slower than you think. In my house we call our HRM's "stupidmeters".

Welcome to the running community and friend me if you like.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Recommendations? C25K is great advice. While you are doing the program, go slow. If you can run any slower you are running too fast. There is plenty of time to pick up the pace later. My other advice is to look for a local 5K race and sign-up. That will give you a goal for C25K and believe me, once you run a race you will be hooked. Good luck and have fun!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    C25K is the way to go for new runners. If you can walk comfortably for 30 minutes or so, you can start C25K. Don't get discouraged with it; the hardest run I've ever done was the first minute of running on my first day of C25K. The program is full of milestones to keep you motivated: first minute running, first five minutes, etc. Also, don't be discouraged if you aren't running a 30 minute 5K at the end of C25K. The program trains you to run for 30 minutes, but your actual first 5K time might be more than that. I have been running for four years now and I'm only now approaching my first 30 minute 5K.

The best shoes for you are the ones that work best for your feet. Get fitted at a running store, don't pick a brand based on what other people wear.

Most people prefer outdoor running over treadmill running. I run half marathons regularly and yet I can barely run a mile on a treadmill. The best "everyday" running route is one you'll enjoy running on a regular basis: near enough to home that you'll actually go running, feels safe, has an appropriate elevation change (or lack thereof) for your skill level, etc. If you plan to race, run on terrain similar to what you want to race on. I do recommend signing up for a 5K when you start C25K so you'll have a goal race to train for.

Get a foam roller for tight muscles. You will have a love/hate relationship with it. I don't stretch regularly but I do foam roll. https://www.runnersworld.com/foam-roller

If you're carrying your phone with you (which I recommend for safety and for your C25K cues), then you'll eventually want a better way to carry it besides keeping it in your hand. I really like my Flipbelt for this; other people like armbands, but I always hated those. Some running gear has pockets--you can safety pin them closed if you're going this route and you're worried about your phone falling out.

Get a good sports bra. For larger-chested people, I love Panache--a bit pricey but well worth it. I started with their underwire sports bras and have now moved on to buying their regular bras as well. I've also run in Moving Comfort bras, which come in smaller cups. Both brands occasionally are discounted on Amazon, especially if you don't care what color you buy.

Don't run in regular cotton socks. It might seem like an unnecessary expense to buy special athletic socks, but I learned after several blisters that they're absolutely worth it.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    - If you decide to stretch then don’t do it with cold muscles, have a little warm up first.
    - You don’t need to ‘fuel up’ for short runs.
    - Advice is great, use it, but also never forget it’s you that’s doing it so do it your way. Just because someone else’s says it doesn’t make it right for you.
    - Check out your local Park Run.
    - Don’t worry about rain, it’s really not that bad - me, I enjoy running in the rain.
    - Enjoy it, say hi to people (not just runners)
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I second park run if there is one close. Its a great way to measure progress and a friendly community.
    I have set running routes so that I can start to understand where to push to go faster and improve how I tackle the harder parts.
    Get measured and analysed for some good trainers
    Don't start out to fast or to slow. Take walking breaks if needed. Nothing wrong with a run walk.
    Set yourself a goal or enter a race a suitable time period away as motivation to achieve what you need to.
  • becomingbeautifultoday
    Options
    Try the couch to 5km app (C25K). It trains you from no running at all, to be able to run 5kms
  • lemmyhead
    lemmyhead Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I second the advice to get a good sports bra! Protect them boobies! It's pricey, but not only better for you, but also made me a more confident runner. With those under control, start out with some good shoes.

I made the rookie mistake of starting out with some cheap runners... got shin splints very quickly. Moved into some nike-frees ... thought they were awesome, ran my first half marathon (on road) and proceeded to have a badly injured foot and hip for 8 weeks after that. I now get fitted for every new pair of shoes I buy. The brands available at the shoe fitters are more expensive, but I've not had any injury related to shoes since.

Keep at it. If you need a few days off, take them off. But commit to being a runner for the long haul, and running will treat you well.

Loads of good advice in this thread - I've been running on and off for 4 years, and some great reminders and advice in here too - thanks for starting the thread!
  • sharonrohmann
    sharonrohmann Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you all for sharing! I started the C25K app today! I think it will be really good. Thanks for all the advice