Exercise suggestions for people with back problems

Options
Hi, I had spinal fusion surgery 3 years ago and a discectomy 2 years ago which meant I was not able to exercise even walking was difficult. I am now much better (yeahhh) but left with a weak right side which also affects my left side as it over compensates for the right side, sigh. I am also still suffering with sciatica ugh!
I have wii fit plus which I started using 2 months ago to do some of the exercises including the muscle, balance, yoga and running and I am pleased to say this is working out great :happy: I can now run for 30 mins and do a mixture of the muscle and yoga exercises for 30 - 40 mins every day. OK with that background history my question is has anyone got suggestions about what exercises I can move onto as I realise that using the wii fit plus programme is not going to help me much further? I hope some of you out there in MFP can help me :happy:
Thanks

Replies

• suzikay
    suzikay Posts: 50
    Options
    What about swimming? Might help balance your muscle strengths. Also pilates is muscle strengthening.
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I swim its really the only thing that doesnt upset my back
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!

Definitely have back problems as well as knee problems (dislocated left knee last year) & so does my hubby! His sciatica makes even walking very difficult, exercising is practically impossible for him... Can't afford my Curves membership anymore ($38 a month), let alone the gas to drive there as it takes 30 minutes to get there & 30 minutes back! (almost $200 a month!)

Exercise ideas that won't kill/aggravate injuries further would be much appreciated!

Would LOVE to swim, but can't afford to go to the pool & the free one is too far away...
  • jennor8or
    jennor8or Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    i have degenerative disc disease and went through physical therapy for about 6 months... they started me slow (similar to what you're doing).. the cardio that worked best for me was the elliptical bc of the lack of impact (did you know jogging puts something like 300x your body weight's pressure on your spine?! crazy! whereas the elliptical doesn't) but he also made me start doing pilates. pilates focuses on your core-- the stronger your ab muscles the stronger support you have for your back muscles so you can continue to build strength around your spine! best of luck :)
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I have always had back issues and one exercise that didn't just help me lose weight, but help strengthened my back was biking. I never did more than 20 minutes at a time and after 2 months, I could withstand longer periods and now my back only acts up when I work long shifts.
  • Bambina2011
    Options
    I completely understand and admire your determination. I have Spondylosis and have been recommended for back surgery if I dont lose weight. I would try water aerobics. It has worked wonders for me. I stay after class and water jog and do various excercises. I also take a Tae bo class. I spoke to my instructor who also has back issues and she modified a few movements for me. Its been great! I would also try circuit training. Basically, what i've learned after doctors telling me everything I cant do is to listen to my body and any movement can be modified! Starting a Boot Camp on Sunday!!! Best of luck!!!
  • 805_blondie
    805_blondie Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have 4 bulging discs in my lower back and a torn miniscus in my left knee. The best thing I ever did for the pain was to lift weights. You should strengthen the muscles around the injury. My pain management doctor told me this and I started immediately and it helps a lot. If you strengthen your back and abs, you will be amazed by the relief you will receive. Plus, you can always gain strength and challenge yourself more and more by increasing weight and always lift until failure in 10- 20 reps. When I became pregnant, I was ordered bedrest and I was unable to lift weights. With the added weight and lack of exercise, I was in excruciating pain. Now that I have delivered my son, I am losing the weight and back to weight lifting and cardio. I am now finally able to deal with the pain again. I hope this helps.
  • abertawe2
    Options
    Wow thank you all for your suggestions :happy:
    Suzikay the pilates sounds good to me - the swimming part not so much cos I am not near a swimming pool
    Iojoi - thanx also for the swimming suggestion but as you can see from above I am not near a swimming pool :sad
    Jennor I do not know what elliptical is but I will research thanx and yep pilates sounds good
    Ashinmarie I think it is time for me to get my bike out of the garage dust it down a bit and try again (last time I used it was pre my surgery) thanx for reminding me
    Bambina firstly good luck with losing weight I hope you manage to lose enough so you dont have to go through surgery. Spondylosis is awful - my brother-in-law has it and was in your position a few years ago, he managed to lose weight and through exercise he now is almost pain free yeahhhh
    Kittykollins I've never thought about lifting weights before but after reading what you said this is something I will look into
    Once again I must say thank you to you all for replying to my post and I wish you all good luck with your lose weight plans :happy:
    Rhian aka abertawe2
  • hilsidney
    hilsidney Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Pilates is amazing for your back... It makes you use your core and strengthens small supporting muscle groups that work in tandem with your large muscle groups. I can't say enough about how awesome I think pilates is and how it's changing my body as well as my ability to pick things up without hurting my back! If there is a pilates reformer class near you I would jump on that.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I have two ruptured and one herniated disk at L3, L4, L5, and S1. What works for me is the recumbent stationary bike, which allows me to get in a rollickinig good workout without wiping out my back. I would recommend going to a local gym and trying one, see how it suits you.

Kris
  • abertawe2
    Options
    Sixcatfaerie I left you out of my reply sorry hon :flowerforyou: I do not know how to help out you because I do not have problems with my knees thankfully but like your hubby I do suffer from awful sciatica ie 4 months ago I could not walk for more than 10 minutes without problems sigh. Your hubby needs to be like me and start gentle exercises - as I said in my initial post I started with wii fit plus picking and chosing exercises that suited my ability at the time. Yes I did struggle to begin with (and still struggle with some) and yes my sciatica was aggravated by the exercises I was doing but I chose to ignore the pain, cramps and nerve problem I have (you should see my right leg which ripples continuously my hubby reckons at some point an alien will emerge lol). But the good thing is that by doing these gentle exercises I am feeling so much better, I am more flexible, have much more stamina and the cramps I used to suffer from have lessend which to me is a really good result :happy: Oh and I can now walk for 30 minutes plus with no problems
    Rhian aka abertawe2
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Totally off topic--are you Welsh?

Kris
  • abertawe2
    Options
    Yep I am :happy: