Hunger Cravings Help

Options
I am trying to stick to my 1600 calories a day, but its soo hard when your used to eating big portions and snacking alot. I am trying to eat little portions and only have a healthy snack. But i still crave more food. How long until my body gets used to eating smaller portions? For my snacks i either have fat free yogurt, pretzels, popcorn or fruit. I am also trying to drink my water.

Replies

• rainbow118
    rainbow118 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am trying to stick to my 1600 calories a day, but its soo hard when your used to eating big portions and snacking alot. I am trying to eat little portions and only have a healthy snack. But i still crave more food. How long until my body gets used to eating smaller portions? For my snacks i either have fat free yogurt, pretzels, popcorn or fruit. I am also trying to drink my water.
  • nancyl3
    Options
    I am also having this problem. I would love to hear what everyone thinks.
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    It took me about two weeks before the cravings went away (mostly). Now if I crave something I let myself have a small amount of it. Like if I crave Doritos I get one of the tiny 99 cent bags...satisfies my craving and not too many calories! Also, every few weeks I have a meal or part of the day where I eat what I have been craving for weeks.

If there is something you really want exercise more and have it! If not snacks like 100 cal popcorn, sugar free hard candy, and flavored apple sauce can help with cravings and hunger! Try to eat more protein and fiber to stay full longer!

Good luck!
  • MattySparky
    Options
    how often are you eating during the day. I eat six times per day and it doesn't give me a chance to get hungry. You dont want to have that hungry feeling trust me because once you feel like that it's too late. If you dont give your body a chance to get "hungry" then you minimize the risk of your body clinging to calories and fats etc because it knows that food is on the way. Small meals every two hours, that's my deal and it works for me really well. I used to overeat like crazy and it was an almost seamless transition to my new eating habits because Im honestly never "hungry".
  • Rubybees
    Rubybees Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm not craving, but each time I think ohh what shall I eat I am getting a pint of down me along with a piece of fruit

keep focusing on the end goal and the reasons why you want to lose the weight and slowly it passes
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I never really had strong hunger cravings when I started here. Make sure you are eating lots of low cal foods, you can eat an awful lot of celery ! or other raw veggies and they will really fill you up. Get lots of fibre and protein, those will keep you feeling full longer. And try to eat small amounts, frequently throughout the day :flowerforyou: Best of luck
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I agree with the earlier advice to eat small meals at regular intervals. Also, consider eating some low calorie bulk foods, like salads and raw veggies. You can have an absolutely huge salad with low-fat or non-fat dressing for almost no calories at all. The physical sensation of crunching all those veggies and the bulk will help trick your body into being more satisfied. For snacks, popcorn is really bulky and low in calories. Also, check into how much protien you're eating. Protien will help you feel full longer. Also, be careful with fruit. It is high in sugar and if you are eating it alone, without a whole grain or protien, it can spike your blood sugar and cause craving, especially for sugar.

Pretzels: probably not so good. They are mostly refined flour and don't have much nutritional value. Yogurt is great nutritionally but doesn't do much to make you feel full....try adding in some granola to give it a little bulk.

It works for me:smile:
  • thury
    thury Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am only one month into this and I still get the same thing BUT only when I am not drinking enough water. It may be just me but water is key to me hitting my calorie goals for the day. Days where I notice I have not drank much water are the days I have cravings, and urges to eat stuff I shouldn't. Everytime I get hungry I drink some water It really works well for me.
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    Pretzels for a snack are good because they will swell in your stomach giving you a full feeling.

Pickels are great too. Eat a spear or two and it will help control your appetite

Drink lost of water. Water is an appetite suppressant and we often mistake thirst for hunger.

For sweet cravings I have been told to use Tic Tacs. Pop 2-3 in your mouth and wait 15 minutes if you still have the sweet craving repeat. I used to do this with Chocolate Velamints but I am not sure if they make these anymore.
  • Bunny001
    Options
    Matty is right about the hungry , once it's there it's to late! This hasn't happened to me on this plan but it did before I started. I know that sounds kinda weird but that's what got me over weight. Not eating the right foods and waiting to long to eat makes you want to shove anything in sight in your mouth. Now I eat every couple hours and I'm ok. Also the thury 's suggestion about drinking more water, I know it's hard but try. Very good advice from everyone!!! I love you guys!!