Sweet Potatoes

Options
I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to share with me their recipe for sweet potatoes. Not really a recipe, I'm trying to get them really soft and it's not happening. I follow a ceratin recipe book & it says to bake them on 450 degrees for 1 hour. BUT.... I'm not getting the results I'd like, so if you know how to make a really soft sweet potatoe,please let me know:) Thanks!!

Replies

• TJCOMER02
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to share with me their recipe for sweet potatoes. Not really a recipe, I'm trying to get them really soft and it's not happening. I follow a ceratin recipe book & it says to bake them on 450 degrees for 1 hour. BUT.... I'm not getting the results I'd like, so if you know how to make a really soft sweet potatoe,please let me know:) Thanks!!
  • pal4
    pal4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    After I wash them, I wrap them in foil and poke some holes in them and they turn out soft. Give that a try. Sometimes, if they are a big, I will bake a little longer.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I usually bake them at 375 for about 1 1/2 hours. Some of those bigger ones can take forever.
    If I want them quicker I peel then and either cube or slice them into 1/4 in slices. Put alittle bit of olive oil on a baking sheet. Put the sweet potato on and mix to coat with oil. Sprinkle with herbs or just salt & pepper. I love rosemary & thyme with sweet potato. This way they bake in about 30 min at 375F.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I just microwave mine. I put it in a bowl w/ a little water, poke a few holes, and cook about 5 min, turn it, and then another 5 min or so (depending on how big the sweet potato is). Yummy!

I've tried baking them in the oven but it just takes too long!!

Jess
  • jim_weldon
    jim_weldon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I boil them, slice them & cook them in a baking dish. Even my kids like it. It is a total pain to do, so ends-up being one of those 'special' meals...
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I like to slice them thin (I do this same thing with yams) lightly fry them in an extra light oil, and then bake them so they are on the crispy side. VERY satisfying!
  • MattySparky
    Options
    the trick to getting really nice soft sweet potatos is deffinately NOT baking them. You need to slice them in quarters lengthwise after peeling them and then steam them for approx 20 minutes.
  • csantos1182
    Options
    I boil them then mash 'em. Add a little brown sugar or maple syrup and they are good to go:tongue:
  • kandrews
    Options
    put tjhem in the microwave. it will make them soft
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I had these last night. I cut mine into small peices, boil them, add a small amount of butter and milk, mash them, and then sprinkle the top with a tiny bit of brown sugar & cinnamon and bake for 30 minutes at 350.
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I poke holes in it, place it on a paper towel in the microwave and cook it. I peel and eat it like it is. Nothing added. Mmmm...
  • TJCOMER02
    Options
    Thanx for the advice!!! I've never heard of so many people boiling their sweet potatoes!!! That is NEW to me! :)
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    There's a good recipe on here for crispy sweet potato fries............................
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    I bought the Steaming bags made by Ziploc. The directions are on the bags, which you can use for all vegetables frozen or fresh. You use them in the microwave. They are so easy and everything I've made comes out soft and delicious.