home exercise tips

Options
I need home exercise tips, I'm a single mum so can't go to the gym, I've ordered a home exercise bike but are there any other exercises or DVD workouts anyone could recommend
Thank you

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    insanity is great!
  • rwernick87
    rwernick87 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I nearly died after the warm up. But I'll try again thanks
  • ClockWorKitten
    ClockWorKitten Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am a single mother too, I have a exercise bike and I try to do at least 30mins a day, I also have weights that I fallow a routine from Pinterest. It's not much but it works for me.
  • Andy10725
    Andy10725 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I would vouch for insanity as well. Was on the same boat where warm up is killing me. But just keep doing it and you would notice significantly change by the end of month 1.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Jessica Smith TV, Fitness Blender, Yoga With Adrienne......tons of stuff on YouTube.

Keep searching until you find something you like to do, that way (hopefully) you will continue exercise even after the weight is off. Regular exercise can be a good tool for maintenance.

Dollar Tree had several Jillian Michaels DVDs on Monday....not sure if you have a store, or it there will be any left. Check out your local library. See if you can try it before you buy it.
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Insanity nearly killed my lower back, but before that it was effective for sure. Be careful if you start that!
    I'm also curious about your goals. I exercise at home as well, but swore off the plyometrics due to weak knees (seriously, my body is so fragile xD) I like doing sets of compound and isolation exercises. For a core workout I love this routine:

1) Plank ups - 10 each side
    2) Crunches - 30 reps
    3) Bicycles - empo 50 (10 slow 30 fast 10 slow)
    4) Plank Circles (20 each way)
    5) Starfish (15 across each way) (I also use light weights with this)
    6) Side Planks ( Hold 20/ Pulse 20)
    7) Russian Twist (I use a 15 lbs weight)
    8) Diamonds (20 each way)
    9) Candle Sticks (20)
    10) Mountain Climbers - 60 seconds
    This x 3.
    (source: youtube.com/watch?v=CSaUJiE600Q)

For my lower body and arms I use a 15 lbs dumbbell and also do sets. (I'm an absolute beginner with weights). Lots of people recommend starting with a program though, so you really get all muscles done. A lot of women like strong curves.
    I also run once a week and want to get back to doing pilates once a week.
    There's also lots of stuff on youtube if you look around a bit and are more into hiit for example.
    A set of adjustable dumbbells and running shoes can get you pretty far!
  • rwernick87
    rwernick87 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?

Looking to lose 4st
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    rwernick87 wrote: »
    What are your goals?

Looking to lose 4st

In how much time? Are you looking to lose weight or lose fat? The answer will help determine what type of program you should look into.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender.com and hasfit.com
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    It's hard to suggest without knowing what kind of workout you enjoy. There are a lot of good videos out there for free on YouTube, and some on Netflix if you have a subscription.

I have a Total Gym and a step (not a step machine, just a step like is used for step aerobics) that I use when it's not nice enough to go outside. Active video games are also a good way to burn some calories that kids usually enjoy so you could maybe do that as a family activity.

When it's nice out, I'd just take the kids outside. Go for a hike or bike ride. Pass a Frisbee or ball. Play games.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom with a toddler, so ALL of my workouts are done at home, most of them while my daughter is hanging out with me.
    I've always been a big fan of Jillian Michaels workouts because they're effective and usually 30 minutes or less. Her DVDs are pretty cheap, and I started them when I had no idea where to begin, what I was doing, or what good form was. I lost my first 60 pounds or so doing pretty much only her workouts (AND eating at a moderate calorie deficit, which is most important when it comes to losing weight... don't forget that part!). Her workouts are great for beginners and fit people alike because they offer modifications and ways to challenge yourself more depending on your fitness level.

I also have resistance bands at home, which are great for doing strength workouts in a small space. There's a lot you can do with them, and you can always get more ideas for how to use them on Instagram or Youtube.
  • knowleka
    knowleka Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I need home exercise tips, I'm a single mum so can't go to the gym, I've ordered a home exercise bike but are there any other exercises or DVD workouts anyone could recommend
    Thank you

Its not very well known but the nhs have a website with loads of exercises, i don't understand why they don't promote it, its calles nhs fitness studio i think
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    FitnessBlender is just about all I use.

Bikinibodymommy is good for beginners- under 20 minutes a day.
  • spatula69
    spatula69 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a home gym and I love it. I have a google chrome to stream workouts so that I can be motivated while I exercise. Fitness blender and has fit as other have said are great, I can watch anything that will motivate me to work harder, such as ultra running when I am on the treadmill, Whitney simmons when I need a weight training workout. She is young and funny to watch, but very good for workouts and form. I have bands and a door stop these have been great additions, can do just about any type of exercise with these.
    I would never buy a DVD again, anything you want or would like to try you can find on YouTube.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender.com and hasfit.com

Fitnessblender.com........agreed.
    Great workouts, and free.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thank you

Yes to Fitnessblender for sure.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the fitness Marshall on YouTube. He does cardio hip hop dances to pop/dance songs. It's one of the only workouts I actually have fun doing and it's a huge calorie burner
  • rach3116
    rach3116 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Amy Dixon. Favorite, hands down - workout DVDs. Yes, YouTube is great too- but only to a point.
  • Westschmeis
    Westschmeis Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Check out the RBG Workout book, and or the Canadian Air Force fitness program for women. Both are self directed and can take you as far as you choose to go.