Intermittent Fasting

Options
Hello, today will be my first day. My last meal was at 7:00p last night and I plan to eat my first meal at 11:00am today. I am doing the 16/8. I am super excited and I feel like I can do it while I am at home. Tomorrow I go back to work and I hope it’s not too much of a challenge for me.
If there are others out there who have had success I’d love to hear tips. By the way I am combining the Keto diet so I’m hoping to achieve great results.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What results are you hoping to achieve by combining a normal meal schedule with an extremely low carb diet?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    16/8 helps may people achieve a calorie deficit. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

Adding keto (an extremely low carb diet) is yet another restriction. I don't get why 2 types of restriction are necessary. Keto works by helping you achieve a calorie deficit by eliminating carbs. Lots of water weight loss in the first couple weeks.

It's all the same (except for the water weight). You just need one method to help you consistently achieve a calorie deficit. Pick something that you can learn from and bring into maintenance with you.
  • Tamie_Girl
    Tamie_Girl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I watched a great You Tube video about I.F. I started doing it on 1/1/18. I'm looking for friends who want to do this journey together. It's all about being accountable. Send me a friends request if interested. :)
  • jeffvanny
    jeffvanny Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    16/8 helps may people achieve a calorie deficit. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

Adding keto (an extremely low carb diet) is yet another restriction. I don't get why 2 types of restriction are necessary. Keto works by helping you achieve a calorie deficit by eliminating carbs. Lots of water weight loss in the first couple weeks.

It's all the same (except for the water weight). You just need one method to help you consistently achieve a calorie deficit. Pick something that you can learn from and bring into maintenance with you.
    I am looking for a diet to follow. I pretty much will cut out carbs.
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I usually eat between the hours of 2pm - 9pm because it falls in line with my work schedule. However, I still have to count my calories. Intermittent fasting doesn't mean you can eat unlimited amounts of food during this time. (Not that you think this, just that some people do) It's very possible to eat all of your daily calories and then some within your eating hours, resulting in no real results. So, it's important to keep careful track of calories in order to meet your long term goals. I don't know much about Keto besides that it limits carb intake. To me, it doesn't seem like a way to eat for the rest of your life. But, I do hope it works out for you!
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,804 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I do it, except today I have a small bar for breakfast because I was really hungry. usually I stop eating at 7pm because any later I wake up super bloated. then I usually dont eat until noon, just drink water and black coffee, it works well for me. But im not keto, I love pastas and bread, but I do eat less of it than I used to, lol
  • jeffvanny
    jeffvanny Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    I do it, except today I have a small bar for breakfast because I was really hungry. usually I stop eating at 7pm because any later I wake up super bloated. then I usually dont eat until noon, just drink water and black coffee, it works well for me. But im not keto, I love pastas and bread, but I do eat less of it than I used to, lol

Sounds good. Thanks for the clarification on the coffee I was confused because I was not sure if I could drink it during my fasting period.
  • pizzatakos
    pizzatakos Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lost 18 pounds in a 4 week timeframe doing the 5/2 IF! It was awesome, then the holidays rolled around and binge eating occurred. So, starting over today and getting back on track!
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    pizzatakos wrote: »
    I lost 18 pounds in a 4 week timeframe doing the 5/2 IF! It was awesome, then the holidays rolled around and binge eating occurred. So, starting over today and getting back on track!
    What was awesome about it? Binge eating didn't "occur", you ate too much.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    jeffvanny wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »

I am looking for a diet to follow. I pretty much will cut out carbs.
    One of the great things about MFP is that you can follow any diet, and you don't have to follow any particular diet. Just make sure you're sticking to your calorie target. Another great thing about MFP, is that it teaches you about nutrition, what really works and doesn't work, for real, for you, and it makes you more critical when you read something, makes you ask questions.
    angmarie28 wrote: »

Sounds good. Thanks for the clarification on the coffee I was confused because I was not sure if I could drink it during my fasting period.
    Focus on what has a real impact. Breaking your fast is not like breaking the law. Your overall calorie intake over time is what counts. If sticking to a longer fasting period helps you eat less over time, it's s good strategy for you. If it makes eating less harder, it's better to spread your meals out more.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have followed IF for for nine months.
    I don’t consider IF dieting, but an eating pattern.
    I needed to fast for a longer period of time to RESET my hunger.

The truth is.
    I ate constantly. I was never hungry.
    By fasting, I understand hunger, then could genuinely, follow my bodies signals to eat, when I was hungry.
    GENUINELY HUNGRY!!

I ensure at 12 noon, I eat a high protein nourishing lunch.
    A satisfying afternoon tea and a high protein, fibre rich dinner. Then by 7 to 7.30pm, I finish eating.
    In the The morning I drink several glasses of water with lemon, green tea and the odd cappuccino around 11am.

Taking on two very different eating plans, may be in conflict with your bodies physiology.
    It may be best to choose just one at this stage and give it a try.
    You can always try the other way if eating down the track.
    Just give it time however for your body to sdjust to see any results.

I have done IF for a while now, and only now feel the health benefits.

All the best.
  • tigerlily_
    tigerlily_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I tried IF but it made me sad. Evidently breakfast is important for my mood! A lot of people find it great though, good luck with it!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    pizzatakos wrote: »
    @pizzatakos
    I'm very surprised you could lose that amount of weight when eating at maintenance levels five days a week!
  • maryjennifer
    maryjennifer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hello, today will be my first day. My last meal was at 7:00p last night and I plan to eat my first meal at 11:00am today. I am doing the 16/8. I am super excited and I feel like I can do it while I am at home. Tomorrow I go back to work and I hope it’s not too much of a challenge for me.
    If there are others out there who have had success I’d love to hear tips. By the way I am combining the Keto diet so I’m hoping to achieve great results.

I am transitioning to keto diet and intermittent fasting as well. :)