Missed Period

Options
Hi all,

Has anyone missed a period due to weight loss?

I've lost 57 pounds since May/2017 through a calorie restricted lifestyle with no cheat days which consists of protein, vegetables, fruit and a bit of carb, but I stay within MFP calories daily allowance faithfully. My period tracker indicates I'm a week late which is out of the norm for me. I know I'm in the age range for pre-menopausal, but I don't have any symptoms whatsoever so it's never been a concern, but now out of the blue, I'm missed one period cycle. I'm not rushing to the doctor's just yet, I'm going to wait it out for a couple of weeks to see if it comes, but if any of you experienced something similar that you can share, that would be sincerely appreciated.

Replies

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I lost my period completely for about 5 years from ages 17 to about 22. I had lost a considerable amount of weight due to anorexia. Once I had restored my weight, I got them a couple times and now it's gone again due to exercise and diet.

My doctor has always recommended eating enough fat in order to help with hormones. If you are on a fat restrictive diet then you might want to reconsider and start incorporating things like full-fat dairy. (the calcium is good too.)

Just keep an eye on it and if you miss another month, talk to your doctor.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    The obvious question to get out of the way is is it possible you are pregnant? Thank hat being said I’m 39 and mine are less regular than they use to be and im sure between my thyroid and my age it won’t be getting any more regular.
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Mine disappeared for the first three months of weight loss, but she’s always disappearing and finding her way back so I wasn’t too worried.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    A week late isn't quite a missed period. It's not that uncommon. I've had mine be a week late, a week early and go four days longer than normal. I'd worry more if it'd be closer to a month with no period.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I just spent the last 2.5 months with no period. My diet was pretty standard and I tested negative for pregnancy. So at 49, I think I just got my first experience with peri-menopause.
  • Shawstew
    Shawstew Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I went from June to December without a period after losing 40 pounds. I was 37 and turned 3& in November. I went to the doctor after three missed and ran blood work and it all came back normal. I got it back in December after putting back on about 8 lbs. I was never underweight, 5’9, 147 was the lowest. So I don’t know. I know that I got it back at about 155-158.
  • femmaggie
    femmaggie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for sharing.
    I’m not going to lie and say I’m not worried, I’m pretty regular so this being the first time missing a period or being this late I do feel a bit concerned. I’m 100% sure I’m not pregnant, but I am 44yrs so I’m leaning towards weight loss or pre-menopause. It’s just I haven’t experienced any pre-menopausal sysmtoms (at least to what I know of) and I’m far from being underweight being 5’7, my before weight was 235 and now I’m at 175. I guess I’ll wait patiently and see if my monthly friend makes an appearance.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I havent had a period in around 5 months....Granted i have PCOS i have lost alot of weightand my period even became normal for a few months there. Then it decided to disappear and give me the most awful acne iv ever experienced for an extended period (hah) of time.

My point being alot happens to your body when your losing weight, I wont assume your undereating as im not my body is simply changing. But be sure your eating enough obviously and try to nourish your body and maybe focus on your macros a bit more if your not, They arent needed for weight loss but for health especially hormonal for females it can help. I wouldnt let it stress you out but if you are worried in a few weeks a doc visit for sure
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how many calories are you eating?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

This. Missing periods is usually more about energy availability than it is about body fat or weight.
  • missmysty
    missmysty Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

This. Missing periods is usually more about energy availability than it is about body fat or weight.

Yep, it could be onset menopause causing it, but missing period is also a symptom of an eating disorder as someone commented up-thread. Not that you have one, necessarily, but it's mostly just that the body sees it as a waste of precious energy if you're eating too little for too long.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    oh yes. and then I would get 2 in a month, went to the doc, he said I was extreme working out. but that's me. I do everything to the extreme.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I actually never missed a period (until peri), not even when I was eating little enough to be fainting in class and losing hair and was down to 95 lbs.

If you're not restricting beyond what is reasonable (you should know what that is for you) then you may want to just check in quickly with the doctor if you still don't get your period. So far it's only a week late, right? Are you ever late? I'd be checking probably after three or four weeks. It may yet come, though.
  • femmaggie
    femmaggie Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    My fitnes pal was set to losing 1lb a week. I still want to reach my goal and lose another 10 to 15 pounds. My calories allowance was at 1350 calories a day, but 3 days ago I decided to change my goal from losing 1 lb a week to 0.50 lb a week, with that I now have 1600 calories a day which is pretty awesome in a way! I guess I’ll have to wait for the results...the results will know best.