Keto flu

Options
So I started on my Keto Journey and within the first 24 hrs bam...Keto Flu. I have drank tons of water...Hot lemon, added salt....My throat feels constricted, headaches, brain fog. Oh bit off my husbands head this morning...Help....How long will this nauseas roller coaster ride last.

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    keto flu is more often than not an electrolyte imbalance - increase your sodium and magnesium intake - it will help tremendously.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How much sodium are your consuming? Also, how much potassium and magnesium are you consuming? It might be worth eating an avocado topped with salt. Or drink chicken broth and/or pickle juice..
  • GLF1958
    GLF1958 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 3 of my Keto Journey - but have been taking a magnesium supplement daily for some time now, so perhaps that's why I've missed the Keto Flu - so far, at least. It's still a struggle for me to find what's appropriate to eat - as there seems to be hidden carbs in so many things! Sticking with salads with broccoli, cauliflower, and avocado with an oil and vinegar dressing for now, for my lunches. Can't afford to the Keto Flu - so hoping I'm on the right track.
  • ndjr25
    ndjr25 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I take ULtima replenisher electrolyte powder, it worked great for me. Except I now have the regular flu. Blah.
    Another item that was a great purchase was a ketone blood meter that also checks glucose. It has helped me fine tune my macros for what my body needs. It is no longer a guessing game.
  • blackhawkgirl91
    blackhawkgirl91 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Gatorade!