Need some recommendation

Options
Happy New Year everyone!! Start of a very brand new year! Getting back on the wagon. So I need some recommendations. This coming weekend my son has another robotic competition, which last all day long. We leave the house at 5 to return about 9. Their lunch options are hot dogs or pizza. I can't do that, I don't want to do that. So I need some suggestions for snacks and lunches that I could possible take. I will have no refrig or microwave.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    why cant you do a hot dog or pizza? i mean, i dont LIKE either but its just because i dont like them, not because of what they are or their calorie content. take a sandwich, fruit, salad, hardboiled eggs, those prepackaged tuna and cracker thingies...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I'd go with a pbj and piece of fruit. Maybe some type of bar for a snack.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    What are your priorities? Just cals, or do you have carb, fat, and/or protein concerns?

My go-tos when on the go are things like
    - KFC grilled chicken
    - Wendy's chili
    - Taco places (Moe's etc) where I can build my own taco
    - beef jerky
    - protein bars/shakes
    - apple with a to-go cup of PB
    - sandwiches (easy to make to my own calorie/macro preferences)
  • stacyhyoung1
    stacyhyoung1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone.
    @jjpptt2 - Right now I am working on the cals and staying under.
    @callsitlikeiseeit - it really comes down to I don't like them but also I have to watch my salt intake. I have family history of high blood pressure and have been told to watch the salt intake. It also seems like that is all they ever offer at these competition.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    take a sandwich and some fruit, simple.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I see you're from NY - chances are your car will be a cooler this weekend, so there's no reason you couldn't take a sandwich, some fruit, some yogurt, and maybe a shake/smoothie.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I would say either bring your own snacks and meals that will keep for the day, or fit the hot dog and pizza into your calories for the day.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to eat smart when away from home! I totally understand! Also it's hard for me to stay hydrated, and I always eat too much when I'm thirsty! I second the suggestion of a sandwich. I'd also bring a couple Greek yogurt cups. Even though we store them in fridge, I find them totally palatable at room temperature, and they keep just fine 10 hours out of fridge. Also, apples are the unsung snack of weight loss!!!! Don't even put peanut butter on them! Just eat whole apples, uncut. You'll always be happy you did. And drink lots of water. Do you like coffee? I find it's a great appetite suppressant at 3pm when I get starving. Good luck! Hope your son wins!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I agree with others, sandwich or wrap would be a nice portable option. A grilled chicken caesar wrap would be yummo!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Do you have a thermos? Heat some low-cal soup, stew, or chili before you leave and take that - let the thermos sit for a few minutes with hot or boiling water before you empty it and add the soup. It'll stay hot for quite a while. Add some crackers, cheese, and an apple. (This is my lunch today for 461 calories.)

Fritattas are also great at room temperature - that and a side salad would be tasty. Also, don't worry about anything spoiling in your car this weekend - it's still going to be frigid.