Fast 5k with little training?

Options
Hey guys!

Just wondering if anyone has had success with running fast 5ks with only 3 runs per week. I was diagnosed with arthritis in my ankle and I've had to significantly cut back on mileage the past 8 months. I am back to doing 3 runs a week with around 3 to 6 miles each.

I don't want to give up on my love for racing, so I am slowly transitioning into triathlons. I've found that with swimming and biking in between, I am taking a lot of pressure off that ankle, making the few runs I do have left more enjoyable.

Still, in around 10 weeks there is a 5k I'd really like to do. I know I will probably never be back to my old speed (PR is around 21:15 minutes), but I'd love to know if anyone has had success with
only a few runs per week and maybe more focus on cross-training?

Grateful for any advice!

Happy new year and thanks!

Replies

• _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You’re already doing plenty of training so you just need to focus on speed work. There’s plenty of theories out there, personally I found alternating runs worked - run 1 is as fast as possible, run 2 is easy, then repeat. I guess it’s a fartlek training on a bigger scale.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of things that go into running. Cyclists get into trouble with running because we have the aerobic capacity but our joints aren't accustomed to the impact. I'd be wary.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Depending on your definition of fast, it certainly seems doable. I can bust out a 24 minute 5k on next to 0 running. Throw in a little bit and I'm down around 22. Seems like you would be fine for your 5K.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What is your current speed and what is your goal?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    Innate ability has a lot to do with speed. Some people have better muscles for shorter or longer distances which is why some first time runners can run surprisingly fast times. However, to be at your best you need more miles and smart training. Three days a week is basically maintenance mode. You can keep your present ability, but it will be difficult to get much faster. You need to do VO2 max training, tempo runs to improve your lactate threshold, and long runs to build your endurance. Even if you alternate the speedwork every week, that much quality without easy runs in between is hard on the body.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    What is your 5k speed goal? What does your cross training entail?

You have a distance run built in at 6 miles, what are your other 2 runs like?

I think you just need to pick running days to work on endurance, speed, etc., mileage overall is fine for working on a fast 5k.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

Just wondering if anyone has had success with running fast 5ks with only 3 runs per week. I was diagnosed with arthritis in my ankle and I've had to significantly cut back on mileage the past 8 months. I am back to doing 3 runs a week with around 3 to 6 miles each.

I don't want to give up on my love for racing, so I am slowly transitioning into triathlons. I've found that with swimming and biking in between, I am taking a lot of pressure off that ankle, making the few runs I do have left more enjoyable.

Still, in around 10 weeks there is a 5k I'd really like to do. I know I will probably never be back to my old speed (PR is around 21:15 minutes), but I'd love to know if anyone has had success with
    only a few runs per week and maybe more focus on cross-training?

Grateful for any advice!

Happy new year and thanks!

You are much younger than me, but my run training is somewhat similar to yours, as is my goal. This year, I focused on triathlon training in spring and summer ( two 70.3 distance races), then switched to a run focus in mid September. My aerobic endurance was already high from TRI training, so I simply added some speed work in preparation for a half marathon and a 5k race both held during October.

One of my favorite speed workouts for building both speed and endurance is alternating 400s done at 5k threshold/marathon pace. So a workout for me would be 1 mile warm up, then 20 x 400 alterating 5k/Mpace (7:45/9:15) then 1 mile cool down. If your endurance is good, then adding some speed workouts like this one ought to help your 5k time.

Good luck.

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    3 miles is easily doable for anyone who is in decent shape. If you're capable of running the distance and have done longer runs (either in the past or currently) then you'll be fine for the 5k.

Both of my parents transitioned to triathlons when the long distance was taking a toll on their bodies. It seems to be a common switch for people since the cycling and swimming has less impact than all the running. They would train multiple events in order to prepare. Try going for a bike ride to the pool/beach and then swimming, and then cycling back. Or, do the same thing with a run. Bike to the park, and then run at the park.

Good luck!
  • running4thehigh
    running4thehigh Posts: 144 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hey guys,

thanks for all your answers! I'm not sure what my current 5k pace is, since I had to take a lot of time off from running due to the arthritis. I ran the 21:15 5k at the beginning of June.

I guess my goal used to be do get sub 21 and closer towards that 20 minute 5k, but it just doesn't seem realistic anymore with doing no more than 3 runs a week. I haven't followed any training plans since I just focused on recovery, but now I'll have one "long" run (6 miles), one tempo or interval session and one easy run.
    Other than that I'll be doing 2 biking sessions, 1-2 swimming sessions, 2 weight training sessions and one full recovery day.

(@RoxieDawn that should answer your questions too :) )

I know I can run three miles at any time, but for my height and weight (5'9'', about 154 lbs but 40% muscle) , I think my PR was already decent. If I could get anywhere near that time with just 3 runs a week, I'd be more than happy.
  • running4thehigh
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    What is your current speed and what is your goal?

Good question. Back in June I averaged about a 7 minute mile for the 5k. Then I took two months off of running because of the injury, and ran a 24 minute 5k as part of my first sprint triathlon.

I'm guessing I can probably always run a 24 minute 5k in a race situation without training. So I guess my goal would be to get back to sub 22, but with a lot less runs (I can do 2 to a maximum of 3 runs per week, and I haven't tried doing tempo runs yet) - that's why I was wondering if my triathlon training, so biking and swimming, would contribute to also running a faster 5 k on little mileage.
  • running4thehigh
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    You are much younger than me, but my run training is somewhat similar to yours, as is my goal. This year, I focused on triathlon training in spring and summer ( two 70.3 distance races), then switched to a run focus in mid September. My aerobic endurance was already high from TRI training, so I simply added some speed work in preparation for a half marathon and a 5k race both held during October.

One of my favorite speed workouts for building both speed and endurance is alternating 400s done at 5k threshold/marathon pace. So a workout for me would be 1 mile warm up, then 20 x 400 alterating 5k/Mpace (7:45/9:15) then 1 mile cool down. If your endurance is good, then adding some speed workouts like this one ought to help your 5k time.

Good luck.

20 x 400s... not even when I was doing a lot of 5ks last year, I intervalled that much :D kudos!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I’ve ran 19:40 with basically easy runs and one day of track work.
    You can make it work.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

thanks for all your answers! I'm not sure what my current 5k pace is, since I had to take a lot of time off from running due to the arthritis. I ran the 21:15 5k at the beginning of June.

I guess my goal used to be do get sub 21 and closer towards that 20 minute 5k, but it just doesn't seem realistic anymore with doing no more than 3 runs a week. I haven't followed any training plans since I just focused on recovery, but now I'll have one "long" run (6 miles), one tempo or interval session and one easy run.
    Other than that I'll be doing 2 biking sessions, 1-2 swimming sessions, 2 weight training sessions and one full recovery day.

(@RoxieDawn that should answer your questions too :) )

I know I can run three miles at any time, but for my height and weight (5'9'', about 154 lbs but 40% muscle) , I think my PR was already decent. If I could get anywhere near that time with just 3 runs a week, I'd be more than happy.

I am not sure if you are saying you not running as lean as when you PR'd your 5k, but set a new training goal, aim to improve on those in the next month/two etc. I have no doubt with previous running experience and current running changes you can set the bar high for what you want to achieve. :smile:
  • running4thehigh
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I am not sure if you are saying you not running as lean as when you PR'd your 5k, but set a new training goal, aim to improve on those in the next month/two etc. I have no doubt with previous running experience and current running changes you can set the bar high for what you want to achieve. :smile:

Sorry about that, I meant to say that I'm a pretty "heavy" runner - I set the PR when I was even 5 pounds heavier. I guess my problem is that a year ago, I was doing 5 runs a week to get to that speed, now I can only do 2-3. But I guess in this case all I can do is try and see what happens :D
    thanks!
  • running4thehigh
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    I’ve ran 19:40 with basically easy runs and one day of track work.
    You can make it work.

you're a beast! that's fast!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Although I am not an expert on the subject of 5k training, I would say that, given that you are looking to increase your speed over a relatively short distance, the volume of running that you do is not going to have as significant of an impact as the quality of your training. I am assuming based on your previous PR that you are an experienced runner, so the standard "base building/higher mileage" advice for getting faster doesn't necessarily apply. I think that you can see significant gains only running 3 times per week by focusing on speed work.

That said, I think it is also going to depend largely on the current state of your ankle. I have just spent the majority of the last year rehabbing my hamstrings from tendinitis. However, I don't think they will ever get back to 100% of their functionality, so I have to concede that my PRs are likely all behind me. Like I said, I don't think that the volume of running that you are going to be doing is going to be the limiting factor here. I think your plan sounds solid going forward, especially including the weight training. All you can do is train for your current situation and give it your best.
  • running4thehigh
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Although I am not an expert on the subject of 5k training, I would say that, given that you are looking to increase your speed over a relatively short distance, the volume of running that you do is not going to have as significant of an impact as the quality of your training. I am assuming based on your previous PR that you are an experienced runner, so the standard "base building/higher mileage" advice for getting faster doesn't necessarily apply. I think that you can see significant gains only running 3 times per week by focusing on speed work.

That said, I think it is also going to depend largely on the current state of your ankle. I have just spent the majority of the last year rehabbing my hamstrings from tendinitis. However, I don't think they will ever get back to 100% of their functionality, so I have to concede that my PRs are likely all behind me. Like I said, I don't think that the volume of running that you are going to be doing is going to be the limiting factor here. I think your plan sounds solid going forward, especially including the weight training. All you can do is train for your current situation and give it your best.

Thanks a lot, that's great advice! Seeing as arthritis is irreversible, I also have to acknowledge that it will never be a 100% back to normal. I'm also pretty sure that I won't PR anymore (which is very, very unfortunate at the age of 25), but I still want to try to be the best I can be in my situation.

Good luck with your hamstring!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

The recommendation is really going to depend on where she in terms of base building/mileage. A 5k is still predominantly an aerobic effort. At relatively low milage, the biggest gains in speed are going to come from more easy miles. The vast majority of beginner runners are at this point and so that becomes the sort of default advice from the more experienced runners. At a certain point, your aerobic gains level off and things like speed work pay bigger dividends.

My biggest gains in my 5k time came from upping my mileage to train for a half marathon, and again when I upped my mileage for a marathon (peaked at ~50 miles per week) and cut out all speed work except for a once a week run at marathon pace.

The aerobic benefits of biking cross over well into running, with the plus that it's less impact. I bike for cross training, and I and other runners have switched to biking to maintain fitness while while letting a running injury heal. In your case, running the 3 days a week you can and biking on the other days would make sense.