Savory ways to enjoy Greek yogurt?

Options
I love Greek yogurt for its protein punch. With its low calorie count and minimal amount of fat, it helps me meet my protein for the day without going over in my other categories. HOWEVER! - I’m usually a more salty than sweet kinda gal. I prefer savory over sweet for my daily snacks and I tire VERY quickly of eating Dannon’s light and fit Greek strawberry, cherry, vanilla, coconut etc. I end up eating it out of obligation and halfway through I’m like UGH.

So...can you give me any non sweet ways to spruce up some plain Greek yogurt for snack time? Looking forward to getting some great ideas! Thanks!

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Cucumber, garlic, lemon zest, and oregano, and you've got tzatziki sauce, minus the olive oil. Cucumber, sometimes tomato or carrot, and cumin seeds, and you've got raitha.

Basically the main ways I can think of to make it savory without raising the fat or calories involve eating it like a dip, with crudités. You could add some ranch dressing or onion dip mix to it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    To me, plain Greek yogurt tastes a lot like sour cream. So think of ways to use it like sour cream (maybe even look up some savory sour cream type recipes and substitute it).

I eat the fruit (or vanilla) flavored ones on a daily basis, love them. I use the plain stuff on baked potatoes. It does work well in tzatziki, as rheddmobile mentioned.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    Two savory ways I eat plain greek yogurt just spooning it out of the bowl:

Mix in powdered cheese (the kind people like to put on popcorn)

Or, mix in plain defatted peanut flour (like PB2, but without added sugar or anything else -- unsweetened peanuts are a savory food me) -- I also add unsweetened powdered cocoa and cayenne sometimes (the kind you use for baking), but that may be too weird for you.

Most of my other greek yogurt savory faves are using it as a condiment (as a substitute for sour cream on baked potatoes or various Mexican/Tex-Mex/Cali-Mex/southwestern dishes), and it sounds like you want something that sticks with the macro profile of greek yogurt pretty closely.

Maybe cooking some scrambled eggs (or egg white, or a mix of whole egg and egg white -- whatever it takes to get you the macros you want), topping with a big glob of yogurt and plenty of salsa?

Or if there's a soup that fits your desired macros for your snack (maybe a clear broth soup with meat or chicken), you could stir in a big helping of greek yogurt. I like greek yogurt in spicy hot soups like chicken tortilla soup -- you could do something similar and leave out the tortilla strips if you like.
  • debbiecousins10
    debbiecousins10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with preferring the savoury snack rather than sweet. These ideas look delicious https://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/meal-ideas/10-savory-greek-yogurt-recipes
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I like to use mine in place of sour cream. My fav is a baked potato topped with yogurt, salsa, and over easy eggs.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    To me, plain Greek yogurt tastes a lot like sour cream. So think of ways to use it like sour cream (maybe even look up some savory sour cream type recipes and substitute it).

I eat the fruit (or vanilla) flavored ones on a daily basis, love them. I use the plain stuff on baked potatoes. It does work well in tzatziki, as rheddmobile mentioned.
    Cucumber, garlic, lemon zest, and oregano, and you've got tzatziki sauce, minus the olive oil. Cucumber, sometimes tomato or carrot, and cumin seeds, and you've got raitha.

Basically the main ways I can think of to make it savory without raising the fat or calories involve eating it like a dip, with crudités. You could add some ranch dressing or onion dip mix to it.

Yup. My first thought was "gyro."
  • shawnamomma74
    shawnamomma74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It's awesome with mint or cilantro or both and I also add red bell peppers or Serrano peppers or jalapeños to it. I add it to beans or garbanzos with cucumber and tomato like sour cream with cayenne. Yum!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Add some garlic and dill.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I use it in place of mayo in chicken and tuna salad.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I mix flax, chia seeds and almonds in my Fage plain Greek Yogurt. Also mix some PB 2 in once in a while as well.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I use it like sour cream. I like to put it in chili and on tacos. Sometimes I use it in casseroles or in chicken/tuna salad. It's good with ranch mix added to it and use as a dip for veggies. It's a good filler for homemade macaroni & cheese.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I use it in place of mayo in chicken and tuna salad.

I find it does not replace mayo very well without adding something sweet. Mayo has a bit of a sweet taste and greek yogurt is more like sour cream.

Hmmm... I never noticed that. My go-tos are a Buffalo chicken salad with plenty of Franks and Ranch seasoning or I add apples and grapes. And I always add relish to my tuna. So I guess there're my "sweet" elements!
  • bramble345
    bramble345 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Add salt and use as a dip.
    Or sometimes I mix with a spicy tomato salsa, then its a dip, salad dressing, addition to sandwiches.....
    I tend to use it instead of mayo now (and i was a serious mayo fan) as mayo seems too ?gloopy ?oily
    Has to be the full fat version though, low fat have a horrible texture (pastelike) and taste too sweet.
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    shrimp tacos with salsa and yogurt in lieu of sour cream. With lemon, salt , garlic and optional dill, as a dip for crackers or veggies.