Shocking first day of food tracking

Options

Replies

• bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I started counting calories off and on at the age of 14.. I'm now 56. And I still groan and am surprised with some things! Biscuits and other baked goods have an enormous amount of fat and calories, perhaps that's why they are so delicious.

Try to make your own version. Swap the biscuit for a wrap or fiber rich toast. Try turkey bacon or chicken sausage. Add spices and salsas to up the flavor. And you'll likely save a few bucks and calories.
  • mlh2018
    mlh2018 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It’s shocking and eye opening. 25g of cheese looked tiny at first. Like others say use a food scale, it’s surprising how much of other foods you can eat (esp veg, salad, fruit). I find it really helpful to plan meals out using the restaurant website nutritional info now too.

I know I found a recapie for a salad that called for 1 oz of cheese but it was 115 calories so trying to keep my calories lower today I just cut the cheese out. That’s one good and bad thing about me. I don’t follow a specific restricting diet but I’m not much of a dairy or meat eater. So it makes my diet naturally high carb low protein which I’m trying to change.

• Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    wait until you log that first double whopper with cheese and large fry
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Yes that first week is a real eyeopener. Personally I traced a full week without too much judgement stopped some bad habits but did not change much at all I took it as a chance to learn first. Only after a week or so I started to make more significant changes
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'll never forget the moment I stopped after a day of bicycle touring (a large distance, so I could afford the calories) and had a dinner at a Cracker Barrel near Saginaw, Michigan. 3000+ calories in the dessert, not even beginning to include dinner. I only logged when I got back to my hotel room, and my jaw actually dropped.

And then I rode long distances for the next 4 days as well, so it didn't matter. :smile:
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    mlh2018 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Are you using a food scale yet? If not, wait until the first time you see how small a "serving" of peanut butter actually is.

I am not using a food scale yet. Just trying to stick to measuring cups because that is what I have already. I Might have to invest in a food scale soon though.

+1 for food scale usage. Link to the one I have below, have had for over a year, no frills, no issues with it, enough different units I can almost always find a database entry unit to match. <$10

https://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-Multifunction-Kitchen-Elegant/dp/B004164SRA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515003985&sr=8-3&keywords=ozeri+food+scale
  • chestinator
    chestinator Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    srclark89 wrote: »
    My rubbish bin mentality got to me yesterday. I have been doing really well, then, my older son left a piece of pizza on his plate. As it glistened and shone at me I thought what a waste. Then it was in my mouth. I have decided the best course of action is to ask him to through his leftovers in the bin.

"Glistened and shone at me" :smiley::smiley: Love it!

Luckily me and cheese don't play well together, but I have a sweet tooth from hell.

The great thing about MFP is it gives you the tools and lets you ask the question....does it fit my macros for the day? If not, can I do something to offset it like exercise or modify my food to compensate? Also, I have my milk coffee and cake (treat) every day and I sit down and savour it. Keeps me on the straight and narrow!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    In a weird way, the more "packaged" convenience foods you eat as you start, the "easier
    for the "eye opener". The more chain restaurants you eat at, the easier for the "eye opener", though I predict that law for chain restaurants to list calorie counts will go away soon.

It's amazing, isn't it?