Coffee or Diet Coke ?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'll add that I never drank a whole lot of soda, but do tend to drink more coffee than is probably good for me (black). So assuming that people overconsume soda and not coffee would be wrong.

I did think I drank too much coffee when I started my weight loss, but for me -- perhaps not for everyone -- cutting back on coffee then too (when it was almost no calories and something I enjoyed) would have likely made my weight loss harder, even though I intended to cut back later (and did -- I cut it out at Lent the following year and then worked on moderating it, although how well I moderate varies).
  • sandy_taylor13
    sandy_taylor13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Can see why you would want to cut down / cut out cream and sugar to save calories but why diet coke or coffee with non fat milk?
    A virtually zero calorie and a low calorie drink you enjoy seems really odd things to exclude - a punishment for no good reason.

Don't make weight loss harder than it has to be.

Totally agree with this. I've lost over 50 pounds and I still have my coffee (with splenda and non fat milk) and coke zero every day. I think of these as my 'desserts' so it makes the weight loss easier. Just my 2 cents.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I will never give up coffee. Ever. When I was doing WW back in the day, I phased out cream / milk in my coffee - I never drank it with sugar. It was a transition that took some time, but now - I only occasionally drink coffee with milk - in the form of a latte, and it's a hot liquid dessert, NOT coffee. Coffee to me is hot, strong, and black. :) Calories in black coffee are minimal - like 5 per cup or something.

As to Diet Coke - I never liked diet soda. I did phase out regular soda because I didn't feel the calories were worth it. If I want a fizzy drink I drink club soda or seltzer on ice with a squeeze of lemon or lime.

For the record - my good friend "weaned" herself off diet coke - she adored it, drank lots of it every day - but her family convinced her to eliminate it for her health. She has been off it for months - and she is disappointed that she doesn't feel any different than she did while she enjoyed her diet coke. So there's that. :) I know that's just her experience and your results will vary. But there you go.

I'm in this camp -- I pretty much quit diet soda (I have them occasionally when I'm eating out, but that's it) to save money and the effort of lugging it home from the store and I feel exactly the same.

Heh, one reason I stopped drinking diet coke at home is that it's a hassle/heavy to carry.
  • DmaMfz
    DmaMfz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I read that as coffee or diet cake... I must be tired. I would still say Diet Coke. You’d have to pry coffee with cream from my cold dead hands.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Jolenerob wrote: »
    Help what should I give up first coffee with cream and sugar coffee with nonfat milk and equal or Diet Coke ? I want to give up one and then slowly get rid of the other which would you give up first?

I used to drink sugared tea when I was younger. I used a step down approach and now use zero sweetener. However, if sweetened coffee fits in your calorie goals there is no reason to give it up. Me, I drink quite a bit of iced tea, so quitting sweetener was a priority.

Why would you give up Diet Coke? For some, artificial sweetener triggers headaches. It's zero calories so has no effect on weight loss, unless for some reason you think it makes you eat more.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I'm literally drinking a Diet coke right now and had three cups of coffee this morning. I'm down over 40 lbs this year, and have not stopped drinking either one. Take the advice on here and just cut down on the calories in your coffee to make it fit your MFP goals.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    OMG neither. That's just as bad as no wine or beer. Coffee and Diet Coke are the only "luxuries" I have. Other than maybe "wing sauce". LOL

No need to give either up. Diet Coke is no calories so that won't affect your weight. And you can have coffee how you want it, just log it and adjust "other" things. Trust me, along the way I found what foods were worth it, and what foods weren't and Diet Coke and Coffee are WORTH IT!
  • rockmartin50
    rockmartin50 Posts: 1,747 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    lks802 wrote: »
    Also, check your creamer ingredients. Many of the flavored ones are non-dairy, meaning it’s mostly water and sugar (usually high fructose corn syrup). I almost died when I actually looked at ingredients. You can buy organic half and half that is only milk and cream.

So you'd been consuming it for a while without feeling any ill effects and you almost died when you noticed what was in it?

Maybe the problem isn't with the ingredients but with your perception of them.

Nope, not perception. Not anything noticeable alone, but it was only one bit of the artificial fake food to be cut out...and after getting rid of all of it, yes, felt much better.

Nobody is going to die if they put a tiny bit of crap in their diet. But why be so angry about someone suggesting to be aware of it? I’m not some whole, clean food zealot...I don’t care what other people choose to eat/drink. Eating whole, natural, organic foods will never be bad. Why eat fake sugar if you need or want to?

Actually I used to be on the organic bandwagon until I couldn't afford it anymore, and until I realized that the USDA does not really check up on companies who claim to be organic - and I was throwing a lot of money away for a pricey label.

I have actually felt much better physically every time I controlled my calorie intake, made sure I was adequately hydrated, increased exercise, all while paying attention to my nutrients: eating enough protein, fat, fiber, calcium, etc....without worrying about organic vs. non-organic. I eat/drink things that taste good to me - I'm not hyped up about "fake this" or "fake that." I eat a LOT of Lean Cuisines and other "processed" foods.

I personally don't eat artificially sweetened food because I hate the taste of it - I do not think there is anything wrong with it though. Most of the sources I have seen of the "stay away from scary processed or artificially sweetened foods" are from Practitioners of Woo.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    You can pry my coffee and Coke Zero out of my cold, dead hands.

Well, actually, thanks to coffee, those will be comfortably warm, dead hands. I believe I'll go get another cup of coffee.

With a side of jittering. Those hands ain't moving. ;)

*grasps tightly onto her lattes and Diet Cokes*
  • lks802
    lks802 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Also, check your creamer ingredients. Many of the flavored ones are non-dairy, meaning it’s mostly water and sugar (usually high fructose corn syrup). I almost died when I actually looked at ingredients. You can buy organic half and half that is only milk and cream.

So you'd been consuming it for a while without feeling any ill effects and you almost died when you noticed what was in it?

Maybe the problem isn't with the ingredients but with your perception of them.

Nope, not perception. Not anything noticeable alone, but it was only one bit of the artificial fake food to be cut out...and after getting rid of all of it, yes, felt much better.

Nobody is going to die if they put a tiny bit of crap in their diet. But why be so angry about someone suggesting to be aware of it? I’m not some whole, clean food zealot...I don’t care what other people choose to eat/drink. Eating whole, natural, organic foods will never be bad. Why eat fake sugar if you need or want to?

Actually I used to be on the organic bandwagon until I couldn't afford it anymore, and until I realized that the USDA does not really check up on companies who claim to be organic - and I was throwing a lot of money away for a pricey label.

I have actually felt much better physically every time I controlled my calorie intake, made sure I was adequately hydrated, increased exercise, all while paying attention to my nutrients: eating enough protein, fat, fiber, calcium, etc....without worrying about organic vs. non-organic. I eat/drink things that taste good to me - I'm not hyped up about "fake this" or "fake that." I eat a LOT of Lean Cuisines and other "processed" foods.

I personally don't eat artificially sweetened food because I hate the taste of it - I do not think there is anything wrong with it though. Most of the sources I have seen of the "stay away from scary processed or artificially sweetened foods" are from Practitioners of Woo.

If you feel good eating lean cuisines, then do that. The sodium content alone in those meals makes me feel awful. I can also eat a larger volume of food if I simply eat quality proteins and roasted fresh veggies. For me, the taste of freshly prepared far exceeds any prepackaged meal. But me saying that doesn’t mean I’m attacking those whose make different food choices.

I hear you on the organic. If I stick to seasonal fruits/veggies, the expense isn’t very noticeable to overall budget. I will always be a proponent for eating whole and fresh over packaged, but that doesn’t mean I’m criticizing others food choice. I don’t buy everything organic.

I only read OP and not the thread until I started getting quoted. I had no idea there was a debate on here. Why is paying attention to what you put in your body ever a bad thing?