Ratios

Options
Can someone please help me to understand the protein-fat-carb ratio. The other day I had 14g of fat and 12g of carbs and if tells me that my total percentage for fat is 34% and for carbs is 14%. Why is the fat so much higher percentage wise?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Fat has more than twice the amount of calories per gram.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    There are 4 calories per gram of protein. 4 calories per gram of carbohydrates. And 9 calories per gram of fat. Since the percentages are based on how many calories come from each macro, there will naturally be a higher percentage of calories from fat for the same amount of grams.

I know this is off topic, but I just wanted to ask if there's a reason you're keeping fats low. I don't have a gallbladder anymore, so I'll understand if you're keeping it low for medical issues, but generally speaking you want to aim for something like .3-.4 grams per pound of body weight as a minimum, so 14 grams of fat total for the day is quite low.
  • krystalcollins09
    krystalcollins09 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ok I see now. Thank you! I really like low fat diets. I like the results on the body. I usually eat as much carbs as protein but that specific day was off and I didn't have as many carbs.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Fat has no effect on weight loss. You lose weight by eating in a calorie deficit. In fact, you should be eating a minimum of .35 grams of fat per pound of body weight as it’s important for your brain.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Fat has no effect on weight loss. You lose weight by eating in a calorie deficit. In fact, you should be eating a minimum of .35 grams of fat per pound of body weight as it’s important for your brain.
    As well as your cellular health, hormone levels, vitamin/nutrient absorption, etc.

There’s a reason that Vitamins A, D, E and K are called “fat soluble vitamins”, and the cell walls are referred to as the “lipid bilayer” (lipid = fats). Not eating enough fat can be just as bad for your health as eating too much fat.