Workout

Options
What workouts are y'all doing to lose weight, and how much do they cost?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't do exercise to lose weight...weight loss is going to come down to your calories coming in vs calories going out. Regular exercise is relatively minimal in regards to your overall energy (calorie) expenditure.

I've been in maintenance for years and exercise 5-6 days per week just as I did when I was losing. My exercise doesn't really cost anything except for the purchase of my bike and my monthly gym membership for weight lifting...I pretty much ride my bike 3-4 days per week and I lift 3x per week...I did the same when I was losing. The difference between losing and maintaining is just the amount of calories I'm eating...If I need to drop weight I eat a little less...that's it.
  • ZRunner5Lulaica
    ZRunner5Lulaica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm running 4 days a week (cost is 20 annually for my Zombies Run sub, plus the cost of shoes and other running gear) and light yoga every day (cost of equipment which is a mat and grip shoes and gloves). They're ones I enjoy and I get a sense of achievement from each workout.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    If the goal is just to move the scale down, cardio in whatever form you can handle is the way to go. It hands down burns more cals than anything else. If you spend an entire 60 minutes running/rowing/pedaling/aerobics/elliptical/dancing as fast and as hard as you can, with no rest, you will burn a ton of cals.

If you want to lose fat, and still maintain/maybe add, some muscle, HIIT is great. Which version is best is gonna depend on you, what holds your interest, what can you actually do, etc. Face it, telling you to do something that wipes you out in the warm up is not gonna help you any. Telling you to do some high impact stuff when your knees are messed up, not good either.

Find something that looks fun to you, and that you can do. Poke around on youtube looking for stuff, and then if interested, see if there is a way you can do it at home, or if someone in your area offers it. Doesn't mater what it is, if you don't keep doing it.

look up Fitness Blender, or look at PX90, or maybe you would like to do kickboxing (9Rounds is a fun place for this), or boxing, or.. well whatever.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    What @cwolfman13 said; it's easier and more sustainable to create a calorie deficit manipulating your nutrition than trying to create the deficit at the gym/through exercise. Exercise also doesn't have to be expensive; bodyweight resistance exercises can be very effective, done in your own home, and only require some floor space. Same for walking or running, though more difficult to do outside this time of year depending on your local climate.
  • Back_2_Fit
    Back_2_Fit Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just have a gym membership. Thankfully, I work for a company that has a gym on site also. This week, I just started in the mornings when I get to work, I'll do a 20-30 minute cardio workout and in the afternoon after work, every other day, I lift weights with my husband. I've always been big into the gym, but like cwolfman13 said, it really comes down to the calories. I stopped watching my calories and ate or drank anything I wanted since I worked out every day and ended up gaining 20 lbs over the course of three years. Now I'm back at the meal prep stage. The morning cardio is more for me because I have the time, I'd rather do that than just sit at my desk and do nothing, so why not.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    with_trish wrote: »
    What workouts are y'all doing to lose weight, and how much do they cost?

Nothing to lose weight, but for fitness/enjoyment for the current season..

Strength training: $25/mo for the gym nearest my workplace. (+weightlifting shoes since my ankle mobility sucks and I have difficulty squatting without heels).

Running: a fair bit of $$ thanks to the joys of outfitting oneself for winter running. (running tights, baselayers, repeated purchases of XC spikes,...

(ETA - no further outlay of funds for my other winter activities required thus far in the current winter season)

And for other/previous seasons: Let's just say that if my apartment ever burns down and I have to put in a claim, 90+% is going to be mountaineering/backpacking/hiking gear/bicycles/cycling gear/running gear/etc. And maybe dance shoes..I kind of have a lot of those too.
  • Mike1804
    Mike1804 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    The most important thing about working out... it has to be fun and something you look forward to. If it's not, you won't make it a priority and it will quickly turn to a chore. Try different stuff.... variety can be a big help in making the habit stick. 4-5 years ago I lost 30lbs doing nothing but basic boot camp style body weight exercises ... I never ran a mile and I never picked up a weight. Run on the street, find a building, stadium or parking garage and run the stairs, build a library of body weight & boot camp style exercises. All those things are free. Consistency and diet are key ... success will follow. Now I enjoy everything from the local gym, to Orange Theory, to stadium runs, to my tried-and-true boot camp moves at home. It's a struggle for me to take a rest day now.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'm an uncoordinated klutz with no gym membership. I take long walks for cardio. On days when I can't get at least 90 minutes of walking in, I do the fitness glider in my basement. For strength training, I do a full-body workout from Joan Pagano's book Strength Training Exercises for Women. It's mostly light dumbbells, with some body-weight and some relatively inexpensive other equipment (e.g. stability ball, ankle weights, cardio step) three times a week.