what do you pack as meals when you go to work

Options
Hello I will be starting a 8-5 job after being a homemaker for several years! I was hoping you all could share what you tend to pack to take with you to eat at work?
Thanks

Replies

• mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    bump
  • louiseyanne
    Options
    I tend to pack lots of little things that will keep me full so I can snack throughout the day.
    Apples, grapes, melon.

I love to take a can of tuna and some salad with me to work too.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I pack a mid-morning snack, usually trail mix or almonds or raisins but lately string cheese. A sandwich, usually turkey on whole wheat with some lettuce, tomato and sometimes avocado. An apple or orange to go with my sandwich. And finally an afternoon snack of more trail mix or nuts. I also put in a bottle of water to drink :)
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    It varies. right now this is my schedule at work. 10 am, brown rice and chicken, sometimes with veggies. or scrambled eggbeaters with one whole egg and 1 cup of yams. at noon it's brown rice with chicken and green beans. at 3 pm it's a can of tuna, nonfat miracle whip, and 1 cup of cucumbers, or 12 grain bagle with 1 tbsp of natural unsalted crunchy peanut butter and 1 tbsp of no sugar added three fruit jam. i'm kind of over the tuna right now so probably next week it'll be the bagle. sounds boring, i know, but it works for me, takes me 5 minutes to prepare the night before and i'm not hungry. once a month or so i might have some whole wheat pasta with a marinara sauce.
  • JustBreathSB
    JustBreathSB Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't work, but I'm a full time student and as you can imagine, campus food isn't necessarily the healthiest. I like to pack a turkey sandwich with lettuce and mustard and some fruit (grapes, strawberries, watermelon, etc.)
  • cillytilly
    cillytilly Posts: 243
    Options
    I do both breakfast and lunch at work because I can wth my job. We have access to a microwave and a fridge which is helpful. Right now I do a homemade flavored turkey burger and an english muffin toaste with mustard. For lunch my curent favorite is 4 oz of chicken 1/2 cup brown rice and veggies. For snacks I like veggies and some fruits like apple cherries depending on what is in season I always keep raw almonds in my desk. I prep my breakfast adn lunch for the week on sunday.
  • SuperHeroRipped
    Options
    I got one of those six pack bags and had it packed with protein powder, shakeology and 3 full meals.
    96% lean burger, steam-able broccoli and either rice or a sweet potato
  • av8rblond
    av8rblond Posts: 140
    Options
    I am lucky enough to own a restaurant so I have food at work, but I would say salad...you can constantly change up what you put in it.
    Also, I tend to always have kids snacks...cheese strings, granola bars, tubes etc. then I "graze" all day and never get ravenous.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I make an extra portion of whatever we're having for dinner, and pack that up for lunch the next day.... usually.

Oh... and I keep unsalted almonds and "hint of salt" trisquits in my desk for snacks.
  • JulyHummingbird
    JulyHummingbird Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Boca burgers with deli thins and a laughing cow spread on them.
    Yogurt
    Atkins shakes
    Green salad (bought special salad bowls at the container store with a sealing well for dressing)
    Pacific organic soups
    Kashi Go Lean with almond milk (for breakfast)

The real key is to plan and pack the night before so you don't stress, and possibly skip, in the morning.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I usually pack leftovers from the night before. Sometimes, if I'm lazy, I'll eat a Lean Cuisine or a Hormel ComplEats, but honestly, those get old after awhile.

I also keep snacks in my drawer, such as canned fruit (in juice, not syrup), craisins, peanut butter crackers, and nuts.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    some kind of frozen thing lean cuisine, smart ones or left overs, a premade protein shake and snacks. nuts, pretzels, a piece of fruit, mini babybel cheese. just something to munch on protien or carb wise and water... lots of waters
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    do you have access to a fridge/freezer?

i did at my work, and often left a couple frozen meals as options. also sandwiches, bagels, or an assortment of snack foods that could add up to a meal: yogurt, fruit, granola bars, etc.

congrats on the new job!
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    BEST WISHES on your new chapter in life!

I pack a smaller flexible cooler w/ light string cheese, yogurt, fruit and rice cakes w/ various flavor of light laughing cow cheese wedges.

It's always fun to peruse other people's public diaries and get ideas from them...that's where I got some of those ideas myself
    since I was prone to skip breakfast and lunch most of my adult life.

PS DON'T SKIP breakfast- some light muffins w/ natural PB are a fast on the go breakfast, as are smoothies.
    If you like almond milk, mix some Carnation Instant Breakfast w/ almond milk ( lower in sugar than reg milk)
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I take nuts (pistachios and almonds usually) PB2 (the chocolate kind, YMMMM!) A protein (Rotisserie chicken that I prepare in batches. Turkey breast, eggs, etc) and vegetable (I currently am on a broccoli and cauliflower binge. I have been having it everyday for a week. I microwave it in the bag and add a little salt and pepper and sometimes Molly McButter butter solids. Also yummy!) Berries are also nice and I have also been taking a lot of low sugar yogurt.
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    A banana
    Cereal and almond milk
    Whatever we had for dinner the night before for lunch
    Sliced apples and peanut butter
    hummus and cucumbers or carrots
  • Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I usually take an Ohyeah! protein bar for a mid morning snack about 10:00 and for lunch it varies from maybe a sandwich or something I have left over from dinner. I like to have a protein and a complex carb. I also have another protein bar later in the afternoon as my afternoon snack. I use the protein bars mainly so there is not a lot of thinking or planning. I rarely go out to lunch anymore.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Sometimes nothing. I'm lucky. My work has a kitchen with a fridge always stocked with milk, orange juice, cheese, cereals, fruits, etc... The downside is a lot of people leave their dirty dishes in the sink thinking that somebody else will clean it for them.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I bring left overs a lot. Either full meals, or I'll grab some left over steak or chicken and make it into a big ol' salad (I have 4.5 cup tupperwares and I literally fill the whole thing with yummy salad). Make sure you pack snacks too. I keep a box of 100 cal almonds and some string cheese at work. I'm also going to start bringing in protein shakes for snacks.
  • sarahlong09
    Options
    I have an office job with a small fridge and microwave. I take fresh fruit like blueberries, cherries, bananas, and grapes, etc. to snack on and keep me out of the candy bowl.

I also take leftovers or sandwhiches. You can also get single servings of veggies now in the frozen section and canned section of walmart. Instead of chips i eat carrots or green beans.

I also take some cold snacks.... Yogurt and applesauce, for when im needing something refreshing.

I keep a few dry things in my desk as well for emergencies ( i get crazy hungry at different times of the day and i dont function well hungry)
    I have instant oatmeal in my desk for mornings i dont have time to eat breakfast before work. I also have a bowl & spoon.
    I like to keep almonds, wheat thins, and maybe baked chips from time to time in there.