Pole fitness

Options
megan2955
megan2955 Posts: 3 Member
edited January 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi!

I do pole fitness, but I'm not sure what to enter it as since there's no option for it and I don't know how many calories it burns etc, and whether it's cardio or strength (I know, I know, I should but I didn't start it for fitness i started it for fun but now I know it can be for fitness so...).

Was just wondering whether anyone else does it and what to enter it as in the app?

Thanks!

Replies

• Mrs181
    Mrs181 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I always just entered it as strength training. Then again, I wasn't really doing much of the dancing/cardio, just trying to learn new tricks.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    When I'm actually dancing continuously for multiple songs, I'll log it as dancing. When I'm practicing tricks, I'll log it as gymnastics. If you're just practicing spins, that's harder, maybe some sort of ballroom dancing (which is slower and assumed to burn fewer calories) or maybe moderate walk? I usually only log half to two-thirds of the time spent.
  • megan2955
    Options
    Mrs181 wrote: »
    I always just entered it as strength training. Then again, I wasn't really doing much of the dancing/cardio, just trying to learn new tricks.

Yeah same, I usually only do the tricks haha. Thanks!
  • megan2955
    Options
    Cat3141 wrote: »
    When I'm actually dancing continuously for multiple songs, I'll log it as dancing. When I'm practicing tricks, I'll log it as gymnastics. If you're just practicing spins, that's harder, maybe some sort of ballroom dancing (which is slower and assumed to burn fewer calories) or maybe moderate walk? I usually only log half to two-thirds of the time spent.

That's interesting, why do you only log it as that much?
  • GROBSLynn
    GROBSLynn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I always entered in as either dancing (fast), yoga, or circuit training - and varying between those. Actually, I eventually made my own exercise based on the calories burned dancing and circuit training. So, for a two hour pole session that included a 30 min stretching session and about an hour of climbing/tricks with dancing and another 30 min of just floor work or lighter dancing, I'd log it as "30 mins yoga", "30 mins dance", and "1 hour circuit training". (I found making my own exercise based on the classes I taught easier eventually.)
  • GROBSLynn
    GROBSLynn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Cat3141 wrote: »

I would argue spinning would work more calories than just dancing because of the core training and muscle work involved. You're maintaining your weight through a spin with your core and upper body strength typically (as opposed to ballroom dancing spins). I also log only about 2/3 of the time I spend if it's longer than a typical session mainly because we all tend to stop to catch some water or problem solve.