First day of diet, and I am already confused.

Options
According to my weight, and that I want to lose 2 pounds a week. MFP is saying based on a 1,450 cal diet I can have 181 grams of carbs, 48 grams of fat and 73 grams of protein. Does anyone else think my carbs are a little high? I am currently on the slim fast diet. I have 2 shakes a day and 3-100 calorie snacks (I am only eating 2) and a 500 meal. I am low on funds this week. So for my dinner, I am eating a 1-2 packs of roman noodles, 1 can tuna and 1 cup of broccoli. When I put everything in it says that everything fits. I know roman noodles are really bad but they are cheap. So am I allowed to have it as long as it fits? So confused.

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Yes, carbs are probably a little high, but that won't prevent you from losing weight (total cals is what matters there).

Yes, you can have noodles if they fit.
  • Ryansworld84
    Ryansworld84 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yeah you could eat them if you want and you are still under your calorie needs. If you are watching your sodium you might skip putting the entire seasoning packet in it as that is where all the salt is.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    If your goal is weight loss, don't get too worried or hung up on the numbers, especially the macro breakdown between fat, protein and carbs. For a month just focus on eating to your calorie goal and after that make calorie adjustments up or down according to your results after a month, and whether or not you are feeling satiated by your diet. All the numbers are guidelines and you'll know better what is right for you when you get some real data based on your experiences.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    Your carbs don't seem high to me. If it fits your calorie goal you can have it. As you go along you will figure out which foods keep you more satisfied. For some that is fats, for some protien and for some carbs.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with ramen, if they fit your calorie and other goals. I'm a big fan of ditching the seasoning packet, and tossing them with some scallions, shrimp, and other vegetables.

Keep an eye on the calories, though -- because you say that you're aiming for a 500 calorie dinner, but one packet of ramen alone is about 380 calories. So that only leaves you another 120 calories to play with -- and you've gone over if you have two packets.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    calories are definitely more important than your macro split, though personally I find the default carbs recommended by MFP to be too high and protein to be low. It's really all personal preference for what fits your palette and your budget.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    id be more concerned about the sodium in those noodles than the carbs lolol

but yes, as long as it fits in your calories, youre fine
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    ashlee_tx wrote: »
    According to my weight, and that I want to lose 2 pounds a week. MFP is saying based on a 1,450 cal diet I can have 181 grams of carbs, 48 grams of fat and 73 grams of protein. Does anyone else think my carbs are a little high? I am currently on the slim fast diet. I have 2 shakes a day and 3-100 calorie snacks (I am only eating 2) and a 500 meal. I am low on funds this week. So for my dinner, I am eating a 1-2 packs of roman noodles, 1 can tuna and 1 cup of broccoli. When I put everything in it says that everything fits. I know roman noodles are really bad but they are cheap. So am I allowed to have it as long as it fits? So confused.

Your macros are set at the MFP defaults. Some people, including myself, find eating slightly more protein and less carbs helps keep us fuller longer, but there are vegans who successfully eat more carbs and less protein. Satiety is very individual and we all have to find what works for us. Are you regularly hitting your daily fiber goal? This helps with satiety.

1c0f5c5574122988e9e297645b8361ed.png

How many pounds do you have to lose until you hit your goal weight?
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I prefer more fat and fewer carbs than the default macros. You can change the percentages if you want or ignore them altogether. Experiment and see what combination of macros keeps you the most satisfied.

I miss Top Ramen. I wish they'd make a gluten free option. Those flavor packets are delicious and I can't seem to duplicate the flavor at home.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I wouldn’t really worry about the macros just worry about the calories!
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Your question has been answered, I just hate to see you spending money on slim fast shakes instead of real (cheaper) food! Also, should 1450 seem a little skimpy to you after a few days, don't hesitate to adjust your goal to 1.5 lbs/week and you'll have a little extra to work with. A comfortable diet with food we enjoy is much easier to sustain in the long run. :)

+1

I know you didn't ask, but especially if I was tight on funds I'd stop with the expensive shakes and high-tail it to Aldi !
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    40% carbs might be better, gives you more protein or fat to satiate

Unless you have over 100lbs to lose you might do better on a 1.5lb per week target. Give yourself a few more calories to play with so you can stick to it

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    The issue with the noodles is sodium. Surely you could get a large zucchini and Zoodle it and add some seasoning for better flavor and nutrition and cost. I would also scrap the prepackaged shakes and make your own with PP and skim or almond milk. Personally I like Quest. For a meal, I buy whatever lean cuisine is on sale and dump it over a bag of broccoli or sugar snap peas. Or, I just roast an entire cauliflower and eat it with sriracha
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Your question has been answered, I just hate to see you spending money on slim fast shakes instead of real (cheaper) food! Also, should 1450 seem a little skimpy to you after a few days, don't hesitate to adjust your goal to 1.5 lbs/week and you'll have a little extra to work with. A comfortable diet with food we enjoy is much easier to sustain in the long run. :)

+1. If the shakes work for you, that's fine but you could probably eat food for cheaper. And 2 lbs a week is the most aggressive goal and only comfortable and realistic for those with the most weight to lose. I don't know how much you have to lose, but just keep that in mind! If you are feeling overwhelmed, just start with calories as that is what will directly determine whether you lose weight or not. Good luck!
  • ashlee_tx
    ashlee_tx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Right now, My goal is to lose about 110 pounds. I am lactose intolerant so I am just buying the Slim fast powder which is $7 and my lactose milk $3 so give or take a few cents, its about $10 for the entire week for breakfast and lunch. I thought the slim fast would be a good idea since I am working out during lunch. I work in a office setting and we really only can have small snacks at our desk. So after I get back from walking I drink my shake at my desk.
    as far as the noodles, I will be adding some kind of protein to the noodles and veggies. I am under calorie goal and if I add some protein it will increase that a bit.
    I also have hypothyroidism, and just started back on my meds. So I don't expect too much of a difference. But giving it a month or two and if I haven't lost I'll go back in and check my levels.
    Hardest part for me is, not having the Whataburger,Dr. Pepper and having whatever..whenever.
    Taking it one day at a time.
    Thank you for all the responses. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Weight management is about energy (calorie) balance, not your macro breakdown. I'm not a vegan or vegetarian, but I eat a lot of plant based foods and thus tend towards a diet higher in carbs...I had zero issue losing weight and maintaining that loss for going on 5 years.