2018 = lifestyle change,hypothyroid

Options
goli777
goli777 Posts: 29 Member
Hi everyone so first day on the app. I've lost weight before and gained it back,lost all motivation. I have hypothyroid and on meds. Does anyone have any diet or tips they recommend with hypothyroid ? I know what works for one person may not work for the next but any tips or suggestions I would love.

Replies

• coloradokat78
    coloradokat78 Posts: 268 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and have lost 35 pounds. I am just looking to add muscle. My body likes a lot of protein. I eat about 105-108 grams a day (.8 x goal body weight). I also steer clear of simple carbs (sugars/white bread, etc..) Feel free to friend request me. I should add that I lost the weight while my thyroid numbers were crazy off and very high. What ever you do, I believe nutrition is key. I ate clean roughly 90% of the time. Good Luck!

• goli777
    Options
    So there is hope!! I'm new how do I friend request ?? Lol
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

I have hypothyroidism due to cancer and total thyroidectomy back in 2000. I bought into much of the bad information out there and ended up putting on ~70 lbs over the next 14 years. None of this was due to my thyroid, but everything to do with my transitioning from a high active military career to a cushy life in academia. I found MFP in 2014 and lost 60 lbs the first year gradually decreasing my intake and increasing my activity.

Just follow the guidelines MFP sets you up with - that's the simple part. The tricky part is doing this slowly and patiently in a way that works for you.

I do this by identifying habits that hurt my goals and replacing these with habits that help me achieve my goals. Do this exercise: write down 5 bad habits you want to change, scratch off 2-5 and focus on #1. Note you cannot simply stop doing a bad habit - you need to replace this with another habit. After months when this becomes part of your daily routine.
  • goli777
    Options
    Thank you !! This encourages me!!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i'm glad @CSARdiver chimed in...cause i was going to tag him for the science-y stuff
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Another one with a crappy thyroid (Hashimoto's). I lost 75 lbs 3 years ago here and have managed to maintain that achievement.

With hypothyroid issues - provided you are properly medicated - your weight loss ability will not be greatly impacted. Like CSARdiver, I highly recommend making small *sustainable* changes, one at a time. Think of this as a marathon and not a sprint. :)
  • goli777
    Options
    Thank you..there is hope.
  • corporatelawmom
    corporatelawmom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I also have Hashimoto's. Now that my medication is at the right levels, the weight is beginning to come off as I make better food choices and as my body allows me to exercise more. You can do this. Take it one day at a time!
  • goli777
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thank you. It's so hard but yes it can be done. I just gotta stay foucused.