Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

anyone had LASIK or PRK surgery?

I've worn glasses since I was 8, and now I'm 27 and have had enough.

I booked a consultation at a clinic for next week, but I am wondering:

Has anyone had LASIK or PRK done?
What was your experience?
Did it hurt?
How long did it take to heal and return to normal life?

Please let me know, even if your experience was a bad one....
(but I especially hope to hear good things!!)

Replies

• dgirllamius
    dgirllamius Posts: 171 Member
    bump

I want that done, I'm as blind as a bat xD
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    I had Lasik done a number of years ago. It didn't hurt at all. My mom drove me home and I stayed at her house for the night partly just to have help with my cats. I went back to normal activity the next day I think - it's been a long time. I remember having to put eye drops in periodically and I might have had a sleeping pill or something for that first night. After that I just had to wear special goggles anytime I went outside for maybe two weeks - and no makeup, but I didn;t really wear makeup anyway. One important thing when I had it done was that I had to have a prescription that hadn't changed (or not much anyway) for a few years or the doctor wouldn't do it. It is the best thing ever, to wake up and be able to see clearly! However, I do have a hard time driving at night. I've heard that they can correct that nowadys, but haven't actually looked into that to see if it's true.
  • I had it about six years ago, and it was the best money that I have EVER spent!!
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    I had PRK done close to 7 yrs ago and it was the best thing I could have ever done!!! I wasn't a candidate for Lasik so that's why they did PRK. It did not hurt one bit, plus they gave me some Valium right before the surgery because I was so super nervous. It didn't hurt at all! The worst part was when they put this wire thing around my eyeball, and tape my eyelid open. The wire thing reminded me of the thing you use to dip the eggshells in the coloring dish for Easter. Anyway, they did that, they said look at the red light, I felt a little rush of air and within 2 min one eye was done. Then they did the same with the other eye. They tried to make it a fun experience, they gave me a stuffed animal to hold (or in my case squeeze the crap out of), and took a picture of you with a huge pair of glasses on with a sign reading "the last pair of glasses I'll ever wear". I was really blind before the surgery, and could immediately see about 50% better as soon as I got up from the chair. The recovery was a bit longer than with Lasik. The lasik folks could drive themselves to the appt the next morning, I still had to use drops and dark glasses. However, I still see about 25/40 and haven't needed glasses since.

I do recommend you ask lots of questions, because I've heard of people that have had bad experiences. Make sure you're going to a good doctor that's going to check everything and make sure you're a good candidate. Overall I would recommend it. Nothing beats waking up and being able to see!

Good luck!
  • tyadrake
    tyadrake Posts: 107 Member
    I had Lasik done 4 months ago and do not regret it one bit! Talk about an amazing procedure! Literally, within minutes, I could see better than I had been able to see since the 3rd grade. There was no pain, just a little pressure, and you have to be very dilligent with your drops after the surgery to help the healing process, but was really no big deal. I have better than 20/20 vision now and i was almost legally blind with an astigmatism before. I highly recommend this procedure to anyone!
  • ilemtp
    ilemtp Posts: 1
    LASIK i am 34 had glasses since i was in 4th grade had it done at TLC in St. Louis. It was the best decision I ever made there is discomfort a few hours post op. but they gave me valium and I went home and slept my wife came in every few hours and put drops in. next day no discomfort except light sensitivity. I am now glasses free 20/20 left 20/15 right. But if at all possible do the bladeless lasik
  • curiositycat
    curiositycat Posts: 111 Member
    I had LASIK in 2000, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat! They have me a Valium to relax me before I went into the room, and then I reclined in a chair similar to the one at a dentist's office. I was nervous about the contraption that holds the eye open, but it only felt like wearing swim goggles, so it was no problem at all. I could see the light of the laser as the doctor worked but didn't feel anything. It only took about ten minutes, and when I sat up, I could read the clock across the room! Mind you, I had 20/400 vision before the surgery, so that was huge! I remember the recovery being very easy. I just had to be careful not to rub my eyes for a couple weeks. There were drops that I had to use, and I still experience dry eyes in the morning, but it's not that bad. It takes a while for the new vision to stabilize, but once mine did, I was better than 20/20! My vision has slipped a bit over years, so I do have a very mild prescription for glasses, but I only use them when I'm driving at night or when I go to the theatre. Now I can go swimming and not be blind as a bat--it's fantastic! I highly recommend it!
  • bovbjerg
    bovbjerg Posts: 172 Member
    YES - I had Lasik (Zyoptic (sp?) actually - it's a form of lasik and I had to go this route because my pupils were slightly larger than normal and this procedure reduces the chances of seeing "starbursts" at night).

It was the BEST decision I ever made. The day of the surgery was nerve racking but really, there is a bit of pressure on your eyeball and it's over in 5 minutes (maybe less) per eye.

Anyways, I was blind (-6.25 in one eye and -5.5 in the other) and when it was over I sat up and could actually see the clock on the wall (before I could barely see the alarm clock on my bedside table right beside me).
  • bovbjerg
    bovbjerg Posts: 172 Member
    BTW - I see you're in Kelowna....I'm not sure if you were planning on travelling to Vancouver for the surgery to staying local. Just FYI, I had mine done at Lasik MD in Vancouver - they were great and very reasonable. Check out their website - they give a lot of information on how the procedures are done, etc.
  • tonicia
    tonicia Posts: 145 Member
    Exactly the same as everyone else. No pain at all. Slight pressure (feels like someones pushing slightly on your eyes when they are closed.) and you look at a light for ten seconds and its over. Best thing I ever did. Current vision is 20/15 better than perfect. Not exaggerating when I say best decision of my life. Paid to have my sister get it done for Christmas last year. If your prescription has stabilized you HAVE to do it!
  • My LASIK was a success for about 5 years, then I was back in contacts and glasses. My surgeon said my vision has worsened but not enough to be able to successful operate again. There was no pain during the procedure, it was just a little unnerving knowing what was going on (even under the influence of the prescribed Valium). I had minor pain/irritation after surgery - the multitude of eye drops sting but are tolerable. And you have to sleep with eye protectors taped to your face while your cornea flaps heal. I noticed I had worse night vision, more sunlight sensitivity, and dry eyes after LASIK, but that could just be me.
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    BTW - I see you're in Kelowna....I'm not sure if you were planning on travelling to Vancouver for the surgery to staying local. Just FYI, I had mine done at Lasik MD in Vancouver - they were great and very reasonable. Check out their website - they give a lot of information on how the procedures are done, etc.

I'm planning on staying in Kelowna and going to Vivid Laser :o)
    A friend of my bf's just had his eyes done there and recommended it!
    But thanks for the tip as well!
  • ricochette55
    ricochette55 Posts: 68 Member
    My husband had it a year ago (he wore glasses since he was little bitty) and he loves it! He had surgery around noon-ish, then the rest of the day/evening he had to stay in a completely dark room and stay awake. I think that's the part that was the worst, because you really just want to close your eyes and go to sleep. But after that, he just had to add drops and then all was good. I hope to get it in the next few years, can't wait!! I let him go first since he needed it so bad :) I'm so nice, right? lol!
  • hkfleming
    hkfleming Posts: 146 Member
    I had PRK a week ago. It was over quickly and didn't hurt - I didn't enjoy it, but it wasn't painful at all. They have me vallium beforehand that took some edge off. I recommend having it done as late in the day as possible so you can just go home and go to sleep.

The night of the surgery was pretty uncomfortable, couldn't open my eyes without discomfort and I spent most of the evening on painkillers with a cold compress on my eyes. The next three days my vision was decent, some blurriness and some light sensitivity, general discomfort. I basically had to lay in bed with a cold compress and just wait it out - they had told me to expect this since the recovery time is longer.

With PRK they usually put non prescription contacts in as bandages - they stay in fr 5 days. Mine were cloudy and blurry by the 4th day, and made it harder to see. Not a huge deal, but annoying. I was glad to have them out.

There's a lot of eye drops (I had 3 different ones for the first week). The cold compresses were essential for the first few days - we just put a big bowl of water in the fridge with wash cloths in it.

I was told to sleep in sunglasses for the first few days to make sure I didn't rub my eyes - I tried but I kept taking them off in my sleep. I used a sleep mask instead and that worked better.

8 days after, my vision is good - not crisp yet, but good. I can see to type this, but the text is a little blurry. The blurriness comes and goes, eye drops help for a bit. All of this is exactly what I was told to expect so while I wish my eyes would finish up, it's ok. I can still work, I just can't drive yet. I can do everything else as normal.

All in all, they told me up front to expect 5 days of discomfort (they give you painkillers) and that it could take up to a month for the very finest points of my vision to settle in to 20/20. My eyes were terrible before and I had a terrible astigmatism - the eye dr had reached a point where he was having trouble finding contacts that would fit and be effective, so he told me to get laser correction if I wanted the best possible vision.

The cost was about 2100 for the surgery and another 250 for the eye drops. With the cost of my contacts and glasses, it will pay for itself in less than 2 years. I've worn glasses since 3rd grade, so this is kind of a big deal. I would do it again in a second

Edited to add that I had to be out of my contacts for 3 full weeks before they could do the procedure. That might have been the worst part :)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    I had lasik done 6 years ago. Best thing I ever did. I was severely nearsighted, I couldn't see past my nose. I was back at work the next day wearing sunglasses inside for a couple days, very dark ones outside for a couple weeks. Last year I started having some issues with distance and night vision, and they told me that weight gain/loss (more specifically glucose issues) could have an effect on vision. They suggested that I get back down to the weight I was when I had the original surgery (about 60 pounds) before I had an adjustment done. I did get an inexpensive weak pair of glasses for driving. Since dropping 76 pounds I haven't been back in to be re-checked, but I don't seem to be having as much of an issue as I did last year. I think I will wait till closer to goal before checking on an adjustment.
  • Abigailblue39
    Abigailblue39 Posts: 212 Member
    I had lasik done 1 year ago. My vision is 20:15 now, before, I was -1.7 and -1.8 with astigmatism. I ad double vision in my left eye due to an accident (a car hit me 12 years ago). I love it. I don't need reading classes. It did not hurt. It took 2 min each eye. I did 1 the one week and the 2nd one the next. I could see right away, and even regretted that I didn't do both eyes at th same time. It changed my life. I don't think I've ever seen that good in my life. I recommend a reputable eye surgeon in your area.
  • TheGreatYaYa
    TheGreatYaYa Posts: 215 Member
    I had LASIK done about 6 yrs. ago and it was the BEST thing I've ever done...well worth the expense. I had no pain, just had to use drops for a week or so and it was really simple. I did have a problem in the beginning with seeing starbursts at night, but that has subsided considerably. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Just make sure you check out your surgeon really well. I've heard horror stories from others who did not do their homework when looking for a surgeon. I got the best one in town and he was well worth it. I've never had any problems with dry eye or anything.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,886 Member
    I've worn glasses since I was 8, and now I'm 27 and have had enough.

I booked a consultation at a clinic for next week, but I am wondering:

Has anyone had LASIK or PRK done?
    What was your experience?
    Did it hurt?
    How long did it take to heal and return to normal life?

Please let me know, even if your experience was a bad one....
    (but I especially hope to hear good things!!)
    I had PRK 2 years ago a regret that I didn't do it 10 years earlier. With all the working out I do, my glasses got fogged up a lot. No More!

Just one thing.......................make sure to take the pain killers after the surgery if you get PRK. I tried to MAN it out............wrong move. I was like a little beyotch the whole night and couldn't sleep. Once I got the prescription for the pain killers and took them I was fine.
  • I had LASIK done about three years ago and best decision ever! I was really nervous leading up to the procedure, but they give you something to help with nerves:) basically by the time it was my turn for the procedure...I was cool as a cucumber. No pain during the procedure but the only thing I really remember was something reminding me of a can opener lol! The doctor said it could have been the device used to cut a circle in the cornea so the laser can get to the pupil....no pain though just that odd feeling. After the procedure, I felt great and could see fine but when I got home my eyes felt sore and scratchy so I went to bed. When I woke up I could see 100% and felt great. The only thing that was wrong was a bruise on my cornea from that "can opener" device lol. Looked pretty crazy. Me and my cousin actually went shopping and to a movie the day after:)
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    I had LASIK done last October. BEST THING I EVER DID FOR MYSELF (and working on losing weight is the 2nd). Like the other posts, I had a valium to calm, there was pressure on the eyeball area from the lasers, was given numbing drops over the eyeball, and had to wear goggles to sleep, to protect the eyes. My recovery sucked because I get motion sickness from car rides/carnival rides and not being able to see clearly while walking around made me extremely nauseated. But the benefits are tenfold, especially waking up first thing in the morning and being able to see clearly.

DO IT!!!!