Is anyone combining keto and real food diets?

Options
Last time I did keto I dropped 40 lbs in six months. I was still eat quite a bit of process foods and drinking vodka and artificial sweeteners.

Got away from keto. I have gained 15 pounds back in last three months. Won’t to restart keto, but want to work more on health than weight loss.

I want to do keto but also eat real food. Is anybody doing both? Any suggestions?

Replies

• eddie_fields
    eddie_fields Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    A lot of keto is real food, but many recipes call for artificial sweeteners which real food diet shuns. I have a pretty good grasp on keto, not so much on real food diet so may need to just keep researching.

Also I am more worried about over all health than losing weight. That’s why I am trying to find out more about the real side of the equation.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Beats me what real food is vs. fake food, but when I did keto (briefly, not doing it anymore), I ate pretty similar to how I normally do, but with more fat and without starchy carbs.

Basically breakfast was a 2 egg omelet with a lot of vegetables, some cheese, maybe avocado on the side. Lunch was often a salad with a variety of vegetables, dressing made with olive oil and vinegar, some nuts or seeds on the salad, and some kind of protein. In the alternative I'd have leftovers from dinner. Dinner was meat (often fish), several kinds of vegetables, maybe some kind of sauce if I needed the calories or I'd cook the veg with nuts (and always did with olive or coconut or avocado oil), or maybe some good cheese or nutbutter mixed with full fat greek yogurt for dessert. Stuff like that.

I was always struggling too keep my carbs below 50 with the veg, nuts, and occasional greek yogurt, however, which is one reason I quit (I tend to eat lots of veg in my normal diet). The biggest reason was that I missed fruit, potatoes and sweet potatoes, and occasional pasta. Also, eventually, because I wanted to eat less meat and for me there was no way to do that and stay keto.
  • Shulyn
    Shulyn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to follow keto, starting again, with no artificial sweeteners. Basically trying to combine clean eating with keto. It is hard. I tried to start prior to Christmas which I failed at and just keeping on trying. Today 2 eggs mixed with veggies and cheese and cream cheese, HWC in coffee, lunch was a salad, and supper I'm having sun-dried tomatoes with balsalmic vinegar and oil and garlic chicken thighs and asparagus for dinner. I can't get the fat macro up enough though.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Keto can be just meat, seafood, dairy, eggs, nuts, seeds, olives, coconut, avocados and non-root vegetables. When I am eating my best, the most processed foods I have are a few drops of stevia in my coffee with some plain protein powder. My other meals are bacon and eggs, bowls of nuts, pepperoni and cheese, and meat with a side of veggies.

Any diet can be as real or fake/highly processed as you want it to be.