Cottage Cheese - Savory Snack Ideas?

Options
I recently posted looking for savory snack ideas for Greek yogurt - now I'm on the hunt for some cottage cheese ideas! I have some pinned recipes for egg casseroles that I'll make into single serving muffins, but I'm looking for ways to eat cottage cheese maybe with some mix-ins at work. The more protein packed, the better! But mostly, flavor hehe.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    My fiance just mixes in some mayo and salt. I don't like the texture so I don't eat it myself.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    A grind of black pepper and I'm happy
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I just like it plain. It's savory and pretty high protein for the calories.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10360668/cottage-cheese

There are so many great ideas on the forums, just give it a quick search!
  • kfischer1018
    kfischer1018 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I saw a recipe for one on Pinterest that I thought looked interesting. It was cottage cheese, diced cucumbers, red pepper, avocado and chia seeds. I also had a salad at a restaurant recently that was similar but I think it just had diced green pepper and carrots in with it. Never thought to make cottage cheese savory, I've always just eaten it plain or with some pineapple or pears but I liked it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I like it with tomatoes and black pepper, or with just black pepper, or with just cottage cheese.

If you put it in a food processor or blender it gets a consistency similar to ricotta which I think adds a little more flexibility in recipes because sometimes the curds are a little weird to me when mixed with other stuff.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I like it with just a little salt and pepper. I also love it mixed with sauerkraut.
  • deetails26
    deetails26 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    sometimes i drizzle a little honey on mine
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Growing up, we often had a small bowl of cottage cheese with sliced spring onions/shallots/green onions.

These ones (springonion):SPRING-ONIONS-%E2%80%93-BUNCH.jpg

Or finely chopped radish + chives. We would have this as breakfast. yum!
    IMG_7342-792x528.jpg

P.S. Sorry for huge images. Couldn't get the bbcode to resize :s
  • pageohana6
    pageohana6 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I like to mix in a single serving of lime jello, walnuts, and tablespoon of honey. I treat it like a dessert.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    I salt it and add sliced cucumbers and radishes.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese with just about any vegetable or combination of vegetables... hot or cold.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, tomato, kidney beans, jalapeño and ground beef/turkey
    Cottage cheese, roasted sweet potato, cinnamon
    Cottage cheese, barbecue chicken shreds, roasted carrots
    Cottage cheese, grilled portabella mushroom, caramelized onion
  • Gregory_Horton
    Gregory_Horton Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I mix crushed pineapple with my cottage cheese for my bedtime snack. Cottage cheese is one of the best sources of casein protein available.
  • onefortypoint6
    onefortypoint6 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, blueberries and sunflower seeds. Or over the top of roasted sweet potatoes.
  • becomingbeautifultoday
    Options
    Slices of cucumber, a dollop of cottage cheese, and then a bit of smoked salmon on top. So yum!
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, grilled chicken, roasted garlic Triscuits, avocado.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    A sprinkle of paprika is nice. Sometimes I put it in a pita sandwich with ham, instead of mayo or something else.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'll toss one or two 45 g packets of peanuts/cashews in, because lately cottage cheese has been tasting more bland to me, and it's harder to eat like I used to.

It ends up making the meal/snack a bit higher than what I usually do for that meal, so I have to cut something elsewhere
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Growing up, we often had a small bowl of cottage cheese with sliced spring onions/shallots/green onions.

These ones (springonion):SPRING-ONIONS-%E2%80%93-BUNCH.jpg

Or finely chopped radish + chives. We would have this as breakfast. yum!
    IMG_7342-792x528.jpg

P.S. Sorry for huge images. Couldn't get the bbcode to resize :s

Ohh I am totally trying both of these! I've always been a fruit and CC person except for sometimes on a pita with deli meat, but the radish and the green onion sound so good. I've been struggling to find sides for my lunches that aren't popcorn chips or crackers of some kind and this is perfect.