Biggest logging shock?

Options

Replies

• newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    That I can go to the movies, eat the small popcorn, candy, and have half a soda and still be in my goal at the end of the day.

It was possible because I planned a light breakfast and dinner afterwards. Totally doable.
  • JacklynSullivan
    JacklynSullivan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Alcohol - you don't really realize how much is in each drink and it's very easy to have several in one evening!
  • arnoldchristopher
    Options
    As always, the truth between what I thought I was eating (both in size of meals and caloric content). Once I honestly tracked a few weeks, it was plainly (and painfully) obvious where my efforts at changing my lifestyle needed to be.
  • yaddakadu
    yaddakadu Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Everything is so loaded with salt and sugar. It was so off putting to see the crazy amounts of salt and sugar I was ingesting.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Bread. I love the stuff but it is calorie dense. I cut back on it but never gave it up, but eating half a fresh bread is not happening unless planned
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    At Thanksgiving my family always wants me to make Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake. I put the recipe into the recipe builder and nearly died when I saw the calories per serving. I mean... I should have figured because there are a billion sticks of butter in it, but I've been making it for so long that I just didn't think about it.

On the opposite end, I was also shocked by how few calories are in my homemade chili. Chili is my favorite and I'm glad I can easily fit my two bowls into my calories when I make it.
  • RacheLoko
    RacheLoko Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The biggest shock was seeing how out of whack my macros were before logging properly
  • erbear117
    erbear117 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Alcohol. A glass and a half of wine = a meal.
    After a 10 hour work day, it seems I have to choose between dinner or a glass of wine. Thankfully I don't drink that much.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Alcohol was definitely one for me especially my beloved craft beers
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Nutella, peanut butter, oil, cheese, sausages....all the nicest things! :expressionless:
  • hereslibby
    hereslibby Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My biggest shocker was that I "thought" I was eating healthier, but I was still packing in the calories. Every time I would log in what I thought was low calorie, it would be much much more than I thought!
    It did surprise me how affective logging in all of my food consumption would make it easier to lose weight. Just be aware of what I was putting in my mouth helped me lose weight. It's still a struggle, but after a many months of doing it, it's gotten so much easier!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    One stupid pop-tart is a serving, not 2 like they are packaged.

This was a huge downer for me to learn that. Huge. I don't bother with Pop Tarts anymore. So not worth it for ONLY ONE
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    The biggest shock was not anything I logged because I didn't start logging until I was ready to make the change. But, after doing this for a few months and learning about portion control calories I am pretty horrified at the shear amounts of food I was eating every day. Most of that being pretty unhealthy. A bowl of cereal was easily 4 times what it should have been, all the huge restaurant portions....yikes!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Lots of them. How few calories in a teaspoon of sugar. How few calories in 1 tsp of butter. How many calories in a cup of flour.
    How many calories in everything at Sonic.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    My breakfast smoothies that I measured with a measuring cup and spoons was WAY more calories than I realized. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing unti i started using a scale instead. Turned out I was double what I thought I was doing.
  • Catherine_and_Hobbes
    Options
    No real shocker but how disappointing eating healthy while eating out is....because it’s always the highest in sodium no matter what.

Can’t quite pack my own meal when dining out with friends....
  • fuzzy_l0gic
    fuzzy_l0gic Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Like most people, what is considered a “portion” on packaged foods was my biggest shock. Before logging, a box of cereal (Fruity Pebbles were my favorite) would only last 3 servings. During logging, even for my bulk, I would stretch it to 9-10.
  • Patricehm16
    Patricehm16 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    suerlewis2 wrote: »
    Morning All

I'm new here and am logging over the holidays before I start my lifestyle changes, to have a record of just how awful I treat my body at the moment, and of course identify the real "hot-spots." I promised to be brutally honest. Oh boy.

After just one day - my very first day - there is no longer any mystery of why I am over-weight!

I knew it would be bad, but it was almost comical HOW bad. :o

So I'm curious - what was your biggest logging shocker? No need to be specific if you don't feel comfortable - and of course please post the positive ones too !

I'll start.

Yesterday, I consumed more than 2000 calories OVER my goal. The only number not in the red was protein. WOW. Very motivational.

Tomorrow's a new day with no mistakes in it!!!
  • suerlewis2
    suerlewis2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I consumed more than 2000 calories OVER my goal. The only number not in the red was protein. WOW. Very motivational.

[/quote]

Tomorrow's a new day with no mistakes in it!!![/quote]

Well it wasn't strictly the next day, but since the NewYear I'm doing good. Seem to be keeping things straight because, not in any small part, I've meal prepped. And I know damn well that if I hadn't prepared meals, I'd be sat here with a plate of Stilton, Grapes, Walnuts and Crackers - along with a glass of Port.