whole 30

Options
Hi everyone, I've been both the low carb vegetarian eater and the low carb meat eater in the past but for the past year back to no plan... I want to get back to taking my diet seriously and have listened to both sides(veg and meat eaters low carb) and have found the Whole 30 program... it sounds like this might suit me perfectly for a while of getting back into diet. Is there anyone who is doing this program?

I would like to be able to gather some friends or find a group?

Replies

• corporatelawmom
    corporatelawmom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 3 of my 2d round of Whole30.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Type in Whole 30 in the search bar. There are plenty of threads and I'm sure at least one group.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat a diet with a name to be serious. At some point you need to find a way of eating that you enjoy and keeps you satisfied at the right calorie level.

I could never do Whole 30 myself, I don't have the patience to cut out all those foods! It's intended to be an elimination diet, just make sure you also track the calories if your goal is to lose weight. I'm sure you'll find plenty of peeps here doing it though. Best of luck
  • CallMeRu
    CallMeRu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Just clean up your diet and learn actual serving sizes. The amount in true serving sizes of foods was a real shocker to me!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What happens on day 31? If you have a plan that is a great WHOLE FOOD based plan that highlights the foods that you've learned work for you and that you LOVE, and replaces the ones that you find don't, AND you have a plan to lose weight and then transition into a LIFESTYLE with all the awesome stuff you've learned, great. If Feb 1 you go back to whatever you did in the past, then I'd say: expect the results from the past.
  • mariemystic
    mariemystic Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, very good advice :)
  • Falklang
    Falklang Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    If you want to take your diet seriously, you have to stop all those programs. A varied and balanced diet filled with food YOU like, is good enough, and it IS taking diet seriously. You can still plan your meals.

Couldn't agree more with this quote. You need to do something that you can consistently keep to and make it a lifestyle change! If the Whole 30 plan is something you can keep to for the rest of your life...then fantastic, do it. But if you don't see yourself sticking to it after it's done, then why do it? :)
  • NannylouG
    NannylouG Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am on day 14 of Whole30. Very happy so far!
  • SoulOfALion5
    SoulOfALion5 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Find a diet that's going to be what you do the rest of your life. Most diets fail because people go to extreme and can't stand it. Portion Control is my diet plan, lol.

Great advice. Also portion control along with exercise.
  • porcelanmermaid
    porcelanmermaid Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to start whole 30. I've been slowly cutting some stuff out a head of time so it's not as big of a shock to my system
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    More seasoned Whole30ers can refute me on this one (I was only on it briefly), but I don't believe it's intended to be a permanent thing.

The purpose of it--and if not the primary purpose, the true value of it IMO--is to reset the way you think about food. For 30 days you eat more veggies, nuts, meat, unprocessed foods, etc., and certainly you learn (and put into regular use) recipes that feature these healthier foods. After 30 days you leave the program with a new-found appreciation for foods that, truly, you should be eating more of anyway.

Then, whenever you find yourself slipping back into the 'Standard American Diet', you go back on Whole 30 and reset yourself once again.

Done this way, Whole 30 becomes a bridge to a more healthy but ultimately non-restrictive relationship with food.
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    BDonjon wrote: »
    More seasoned Whole30ers can refute me on this one (I was only on it briefly), but I don't believe it's intended to be a permanent thing.

The purpose of it--and if not the primary purpose, the true value of it IMO--is to reset the way you think about food. For 30 days you eat more veggies, nuts, meat, unprocessed foods, etc., and certainly you learn (and put into regular use) recipes that feature these healthier foods. After 30 days you leave the program with a new-found appreciation for foods that, truly, you should be eating more of anyway.

Then, whenever you find yourself slipping back into the 'Standard American Diet', you go back on Whole 30 and reset yourself once again.

Done this way, Whole 30 becomes a bridge to a more healthy but ultimately non-restrictive relationship with food.

I agree, that's what I'm hoping for anyway - I'm on day 30 and while I'm chomping on the bit for a bourbon and a piece of cheese, I'm super excited to report I won't be going back to a lot of the *daily* foods and crap that I used to think I HAD to have. Also, my food has been so varied (thank god for the Instant Pot and the Internet, LOL) and delicious, I now have a whole stash of healthy, easy to prepare meals that I can incorporate into my WOE. I think any tool that you can use to help you stay on track is one that you can use. Some people need more structure and *plans*. After all, if we were good about portion control and knowing what foods were healthy, and were consistent about applying it... we wouldn't BE here.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options

No... whole 30 is an elimination "diet" for food intolerances....

OK, I did the research. And you are partially correct; identifying food intolerances is one small purpose.

But this is the big picture: the program's stated goal, from the Whole30 website itself:
    "Our goal with the Whole30 is to support and catalyze new, healthy habits so that after doing the program, learning about how food affects you, and changing your relationship with food, you can settle into your new baseline, an effortless 'new normal.'"
    Source: https://whole30.com/2015/05/whole30-learning-tool/

And truly, isn't the establishment and maintenance of new, healthy habits what we're all striving for?

I'd argue that Whole30, given it's not permanent, and given that it aims at a worthy end of effortless, healthy eating, is at worst 'harmless', and at best could be 'exactly what some people need'.

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

I'd argue that Whole30, given it's not permanent, and given that it aims at a worthy end of effortless, healthy eating, is at worst 'harmless', and at best could be 'exactly what some people need'.

Yes. I started my diet in April with a Whole30. I’m glad I did, but will never do another one.

I learned a lot. How much unneeded sugar is added to so many things I did not expect. That there are delicious veg (like Fennel) I had never tried. That I love cheese but dairy on the whole disagrees with my gut. That never ever again will I try to eat breakfast regularly. And a newfound love for tomato juice. That I could do a 30 day restricted diet, commit and stick to it.

It was a great way to start my weight loss and I needed to learn a lot of ultimately very useful things to be compliant that month. I would certainly recommend it to anyone who was interested. The program is clear that it is a temporary thing, and emphasizes putting thought and care to how one will be eating afterwards.

Was it weight loss magic? No. I did not actually lose much weight on it at all. But I think ultimately it made my food decisions more informed and better for me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If you want to take your diet seriously, you have to stop all those programs. A varied and balanced diet filled with food YOU like, is good enough, and it IS taking diet seriously. You can still plan your meals.

This^

Taking your diet seriously is not a 30 day elimination plan. Taking your diet seriously is a life-long effort.

I've done the temporary diets too. They work for weight loss, but they don't work for maintenance. Find a "plan" that fits both.
  • NannylouG
    NannylouG Posts: 9 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    For a thread titled “Whole30” there certainly are a lot of people posting negative comments knocking it.

Personally, although I would like to lose some weight, my primary goal here is to identify which foods trigger my inflammation and adverse health. As someone who had a heart attack nine years ago at a ridiculously young age, and a former Med Tech, I am very aware of my health issues, my abnormal labs and my family medical history.

I bought three of the Hartwig’s books and I’m reading them cover to cover (even the cookbook). I’m very well aware what this diet is all about.
    What I have observed in the 16 of 30 days I have been following this plan is a remarkable change in how I feel. Will I stay on this forever? Of course not. When my 30 days are up, I will methodically determine which foods are my triggers and plan to limit or eliminate them from my lifetime diet.

Right now I am leaning toward a transition to the a Paleo lifestyle, but my triggers will help determine if this suits me. I have a Practical Paleo book and I am reading that as well.

I’m happy to share my journey with anyone who is considering this Whole30 plan. I’m really not interested in a debate why this plan is not sustainable or a waste of time, because I’ve already made my choice, I am already more than half way through it and I’m in this thread to share support with others who have made the same choice.