Fodmap and vegan

Options
Hi All,

Having recently been diagnosed with IBS my gp advised me to try the fodmap diet. I am also allergic to dairy (although ok with eggs) and have been eating less meat since the start of the year, so on a mainly vegan diet except for the odd occasion..

I'm just wondering if there are/is anyone else here doing similar and how they are getting on? Any tips?

Replies

• BigGrubber
    BigGrubber Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello! I follow a plant-based diet and also have IBS. I was finally referred to a dietitian who has advised I cut out all fizzy drinks, caffeine, alcohol, onion and garlic for one month before I back and see her in Feb. I've to monitor how I get on and we can then look at introducing foods and removing others. I bought a really good book called 'Low-Fodmap and Vegan: What to Eat When You Can't Eat Anything' by Jo Stepaniak on amazon and have enjoyed what I've made from it so far. Living with IBS is all trial and error. Some foods act as a trigger, some don't, and it's different for everyone. I would try push for a referral to see a dietitian. I've been living with this for years and wish I'd seen someone sooner. I don't believe there is a quick fix, but I feel better already for at least trying. Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • SwissHausfrau
    SwissHausfrau Posts: 83 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You may have already found them, but have a look at this site. lots of into.
    https://www.monash.edu/medicine/ccs/gastroenterology/fodmap

I removed some things from my diet on the advice of a gastro doctor after a couple of severe bouts of diverticulitis.
    Caffeine, alcohol, onion, all the 'usual' suspects.... and then slowly re-introduced them....
    what really upsets me is raw veggies that are high in fibre. If they are cooked I don't have a problem with them. leafy greens are ok but carrots are a big problem...a raw broccoli would have me doubled over... the next step would have been FODMAP diet, but everything is OK at the moment so I'm not going to change too much.

Good luck, its not easy as it also it could be 2 foods when they are together or in high qty that causes you symptoms. A teaspoon of carrot grated on a green leafy salad is OK, but carrot sticks with dips are a big NO.

Keeping an accurate food diary with symptoms will help. You might see some patterns forming. My problems occur in the intestines and colon, not the stomach so it took a while to work out as it takes a while for the food to digest.