Hello new here

Started a new diet yesterday and started the gym I feel like I’m starving only ate salad for lunch with half chicken patty and salad for dinner with some grilled chicken tonight a small bag of jolly popcorn but of coarse didn’t eat whole bag and lots of water today. Any advice would be great thanks and good luck to all.

Replies

• 7mvandyke
    7mvandyke Posts: 30 Member
    I'm a "volume" eater, where I like to munch on more than a handful of almonds to feel satisfied. Id suggest adding protein packed snacks to help fuel your body between meals (ex apple slices with choice of nut butter).
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Set realistic goals you can stick to long term, cutting really low and going all out leads to quitting before you reach your goals. If you need help setting goals check out this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Think outside the box, too many people get so wrapped up in "diet food" and think all they can eat is salad and grilled chicken, which gets really old really fast. You can fit so many different things into you calorie goal. Check out the recipes board to see what some of our other users enjoy.
  • EJBarner
    EJBarner Posts: 68 Member
    One of the best things I did for myself was to set a reasonable (not too severe) calorie deficit, and to figure out how to eat so that I was satiated and happy rather than 'starving'. For me, 'stereotypical diet foods' like grilled chicken and veggies just aren't the way I like to eat! Satiety is very individual but for me it means lots of both meat and non-meat proteins (like beans, lentils, Greek yogurt, protein pudding, protein-packed morning smoothies, etc) as well as loads of high-fiber veggies all mixed in. Combine that 80% nutrient-dense food with 20% treat foods that I really enjoy and I'm in business. :)

It's okay to feel a little hungry before meals, but feeling 'starving' all the time is going to make you feel unhappy and won't encourage you to stay the course. Make sure you're eating enough calories to feel satisfied (1lb to .5lbs per week is the most the vast majoity of us can do safely), eat food you enjoy, and experiment with your carbohydrate/protein/fat ratios until you find a way of eating that satisfies, fuels your workouts, and makes you feel good. This may take some time but it's incredibly worth it!

One more thing: don't feel as though you have to go gung-ho doing everything all at once. That very well could burn you out fast! Instead, consider making small but sustainable changes that you can stick to for the long haul.

I'll add you as a friend so we can encourage each other. Good luck!
  • leaschanging
    leaschanging Posts: 6 Member
    winnie5339 wrote: »
    Started a new diet yesterday and started the gym I feel like I’m starving only ate salad for lunch with half chicken patty and salad for dinner with some grilled chicken tonight a small bag of jolly popcorn but of coarse didn’t eat whole bag and lots of water today. Any advice would be great thanks and good luck to all.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Eat the foods you like and find filling.

Just make it fit your calories.
  • leaschanging
    leaschanging Posts: 6 Member
    Good start winnie5339 well done. I started my journey here just after Christmas. Have been seeing a nutritionist for about 6 months. I have found little steps are sustainable. Although I enjoyed lots of Christmas food goodies I started my journey fucasing on my diet making small changes so I would stick to it. I still enjoy a glass of wine sometimes and a chocolate every now and then. I changed the focus of my goals after Christmas to moving. I am currently walking twice a day and feeling better for it. I am not loosing weight fast but my changes mean I am usually loosing a little every week, heading in the right direction. Have patience and make small changes that are sustainable. Good luck! People are a great support here. It is a lovely place to be a part of.