C25K questions

Options
I just started the C25K program today. It's so hot outside (110+) so I run on a treadmill. I set the incline to 1% and walked at 3.5mph and ran/jogged at 6.5mph. I'm training for my first 5k in October. Anyways, I was just wondering if I'm setting myself up for failure since I started the running portion going at 6.5mph? I'm not completely new to running and not new to cardio, but it's been about 2 months since I've ran on a regular basis and I've never been able to jog/run more than 1.5 miles before. I just don't want to start too high and then have to decrease my speed. I've also heard that it's much harder to run outside than on a treadmill (which is why I set the incline to 1%), so will this mess me up when I actually do the 5k? Should I raise the incline some more? Eventually I'll start jogging some outside, but not until it cools down a bit. I just don't want to go running outside and feel completely defeated if a treadmill is easier to run on. Advice? Thanks everyone! :happy:

Replies

• simplysara9
    Options
    The treadmills at at my gym have a program called "rolling hills" .... I haven't used it yet but I am assuming it adjusts the incline for you to make it feel like you're running up and down hills. That might be a good start!

Also, if you are comfortable at the speeds you are using don't worry about slowing them down right now. If it seems to fast then step back and slow down until you get farther into the program. The program isn't made for speed it's made to help you jog / run for a full 30 minutes.
  • jenjens31
    jenjens31 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would say run as fast as feels comfortable, but dont feel like a failure if you drop your speed down as your running portions increase! As far as the incline, .05-1% is what I have always read is best for the treadmill if you are training to run outside. I think you are off to a great start! Congrats!!
  • rairye
    rairye Posts: 27
    Options
    I just started the C25K program today. It's so hot outside (110+) so I run on a treadmill. I set the incline to 1% and walked at 3.5mph and ran/jogged at 6.5mph. I'm training for my first 5k in October. Anyways, I was just wondering if I'm setting myself up for failure since I started the running portion going at 6.5mph? I'm not completely new to running and not new to cardio, but it's been about 2 months since I've ran on a regular basis and I've never been able to jog/run more than 1.5 miles before. I just don't want to start too high and then have to decrease my speed. I've also heard that it's much harder to run outside than on a treadmill (which is why I set the incline to 1%), so will this mess me up when I actually do the 5k? Should I raise the incline some more? Eventually I'll start jogging some outside, but not until it cools down a bit. I just don't want to go running outside and feel completely defeated if a treadmill is easier to run on. Advice? Thanks everyone! :happy:

I just started today too..and am in the EXACT situation.. too hot outside, been jogging for about 2 months, my jogging and walking pace is the same on 1% incline, to do a 5k on Oct 1. Let me know how it goes
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm new to running and I'm doing C25K. I'm actually doing W5D3 today. When I first started out I walked at 3.5ph and ran at 6 mph with a one incline. As time went on I couldn't keep up the pace so I eventually upped my walking pace to 3.7 mph and lowered my run to 5 mph with a three incline and I've been able to sustain this pace easily. The other day, just for fun I decided to see if I could run at 6 mph I was able to once I dropped the incline back to one. My point it is, start out at what is comfortable for you and if you need to make adjustments later go for it. It's all about building up endurance. When I first started I wasn't able to run for a full minute so you are way ahead of me.

Oh and I live in the desert too so in the summer it's always above 100 so I know how you feel.
  • FatUncleRob
    Options
    You're a lot younger than me, so you'll probably be able to adapt to C25K faster, but here's my advice:

1) Take it slow. If you feel that 6.5 mph is too fast at first, try building up gradually from 5.0 mph. See how you feel after you complete the session. See how sore you feel the next day. You should be able to hold a conversation while running (not be gasping for air or totally out of breath.)

2) I found the switch from the treadmill to the roads pretty tough. It almost made me want to quit, but I stuck with it and after a week or so it was OK. I think the main difference is that you have to maintain your own pace when you're not on the treadmill and the surface is not as easy on your joints (more jarring). If you stick with it, it will get easier. Maybe try running a little slower when you first move off the treadmill.
    I now run outside a lot (~20 miles a week) and very rarely use the treadmill, so there is hope. It does get easier. :smile:

3) Make sure you have good running shoes. After I bought mine, my knee pain reduced dramatically.

4) Make sure you are hydrated.

5) Walk for at least 20 minutes on your "rest" days so that you don't stiffen up too much.

7) Take it slow. :happy:
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You're a lot younger than me, so you'll probably be able to adapt to C25K faster, but here's my advice:

1) Take it slow. If you feel that 6.5 mph is too fast at first, try building up gradually from 5.0 mph. See how you feel after you complete the session. See how sore you feel the next day. You should be able to hold a conversation while running (not be gasping for air or totally out of breath.)

2) I found the switch from the treadmill to the roads pretty tough. It almost made me want to quit, but I stuck with it and after a week or so it was OK. I think the main difference is that you have to maintain your own pace when you're not on the treadmill and the surface is not as easy on your joints (more jarring). If you stick with it, it will get easier. Maybe try running a little slower when you first move off the treadmill.
    I now run outside a lot (~20 miles a week) and very rarely use the treadmill, so there is hope. It does get easier. :smile:

3) Make sure you have good running shoes. After I bought mine, my knee pain reduced dramatically.

4) Make sure you are hydrated.

5) Walk for at least 20 minutes on your "rest" days so that you don't stiffen up too much.

7) Take it slow. :happy:

Thanks for the advice! I did W1D2 today, still at a 1% incline and running at 6.5mph, but I upped my walking to 4.0mph. It was hard, but I could do it and hold a conversation with little difficulty. I'm just trying to find a pace where I'm not pushing myself too hard, but still being challenged. I'm going to switch to running outside as soon as it cools down, so the 5k doesn't completely shock me. I have amazing nike running shoes that I love! Shoes are definitely one of the most important things. Since I'm on a treadmill I have a bottle of water with me. My problem is making sure I don't drink too much too fast :) Walking so I don't get stiff is a good idea and I'll be sure to do that! Thanks again!