How did you stop consuming processed sugar?

Options
Hello...

Long story short- I fell off the wagon and I'm addicted to processed sugar again. I can't remember how I did it the first time, so I'm asking all of you guys- how did you stop it or at least reduced processed sugar intake?

Thank you!

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I'm the sort of person that can't just eat 1 or 2 biscuits I end up eating half a pack, so for me I just don't buy them at all. I live on my own so if I don't have any sweet treats in the house I'm not tempted.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    I'm the sort of person that can't just eat 1 or 2 biscuits I end up eating half a pack, so for me I just don't buy them at all. I live on my own so if I don't have any sweet treats in the house I'm not tempted.

I went with the solution of buying the single 100-200 calorie packs, in moderate bulk(Costco etc) That way I don't have to worry about finishing the pack.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

I went with the solution of buying the single 100-200 calorie packs, in moderate bulk(Costco etc) That way I don't have to worry about finishing the pack.

Yes - and even if I chain eat them, I still usually stop before the point at which I'd've eaten an entire "normal" packet. So I don't usually go over my calories. Still not great for my health mind, but better than previously! And it mostly works out much better than that.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Don't buy it otherwise willpower ... but why it is good just fit it into your calories.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My only advice is to start being an expert label reader, and learn the different names manufactures use for sugar.

Long story short, don't buy foods that are high in added sugar. If it's not in the house, you can't eat it. For me, it's out of sight, out of mind.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I simply had to for health issues. It wasn't hard as I don't care for sweet stuff. I don't know your story, but do you think this is something you can do long term? If so, great! Meal prepping and logging ahead will help you tons.

If Not, just easy a nutrient dense diet, and find ways to fit the sets into your goals.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    When I started deliberately trying to lose weight, I bought a bag of sucralose. That's a zero calorie sweetener. That was 2 years ago. I still have most of that first bag of sucralose and I've bought and consumed about 20 lb of granulated sugar in that same time span. I'm able to lose weight without obsessing about sugar.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    When I started deliberately trying to lose weight, I bought a bag of sucralose. That's a zero calorie sweetener. That was 2 years ago. I still have most of that first bag of sucralose and I've bought and consumed about 20 lb of granulated sugar in that same time span. I'm able to lose weight without obsessing about sugar.

I love my sucralose. (tastewise, I don't have a preference for sugar over splenda for most things I would add sugar to, unless it is something I traditionally used brown sugar for).
  • Tinkachu
    Tinkachu Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I mean I used to eat keto and that just made me have a terrible binge eating problem after like half a year of being perfect with my diet. The more you abstain from yummy food, the more appetizing it's gonna be. Taking an appetite suppressant helps me with binge eating it though.
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I stopped cold turkey. I found that sugar was causing me migraines so I just quit it.