choosing food when eating out??

Options
how do u choose food when ur eating out??? are the vegetable curries and dahls in indian restaurants/takeaways high in fat/calories? i know chinese is extremely bad but what tends to be the better choices of cusine to choose when eating out?

Replies

• clairibou1
    clairibou1 Posts: 124
    Options
    bump!
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I'm a cheater! lol I always have my phone with me so either before I go, or once I get to a place, I check out the menu and start plugging things into MFP to see what it looks like. Thats how I decide what I'm going to eat!
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    im not sure about all places but juts remember the healthiest option isnt always the salads! :)
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I look to see if the restaurant has a menu online or if they are in my Nutrition App.
    I look for words like butter, basted, simmered, etc., things to say that the food was cooked in a sauce. I look for grilled or some roasted items, veggies with not sauce or butters and pick the carbs with care. Also, make sure you don't get any bread before the meal.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Chinese isn't bad, but you have to pick the right options. One cup of beef or chicken and broccoli with a cup of steamed white rice is kickin'! It's good for you (i.e. low in calories, good fiber and protein) and does a good job of filling you up. And steamed or stir fried veggies with chicken or shrimp? Oh, darn it, now I'm hungry!
  • ljmeep
    ljmeep Posts: 29
    Options
    lately I've been trying to go to the restaurant's website and looking at nutritional info. before I go. This way I can know exactly what I'm getting myself into...
  • homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Applebee has and under 550 menu and I have eaten there a couple of times and the food was really good. I was satisfied afterwards too. Many restaurants offer WW or low cal options.
  • ljmeep
    ljmeep Posts: 29
    Options
    Chinese isn't bad, but you have to pick the right options. One cup of beef or chicken and broccoli with a cup of steamed white rice is kickin'! It's good for you (i.e. low in calories, good fiber and protein) and does a good job of filling you up. And steamed or stir fried veggies with chicken or shrimp? Oh, darn it, now I'm hungry!

I'm a big fan of Hot and Sour Soup ... only 90 cals! Yum!
  • lcoreo5
    lcoreo5 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i always try to do my homework as well. check online before you go. and never be afraid to ask while you are at the restaurant!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Chinese isn't bad if you stay away from heavy sauces and fried items. I usually get a veg steamed and get the brown sauce on the side.

The key to eating out to plan ahead. Chain restaurants typically have their menus and calorie info online. Otherwise just google by food type. I eat out a lot and rarely run into problems.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    im not sure about all places but juts remember the healthiest option isnt always the salads! :)
    It depends on the salad. The specialty salads are often loaded with too many sauces, or have proteins that are sauced and/or fried. They are killers, but if you get a house salad with no cheese or croutons, have a non sauced grilled or baked protein and a simple oil/vinegar dressing, you will be fine.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Eating out for me is in a sense a celebration as i eat out once a week or less. When i do eat out . I get what i want paying no attention to the calorie cost. You don't gain a lb with a day a week splurge so enjoy. Your paying for it.
  • corgifan
    corgifan Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If they have a nutrition menu I try to look at it online.

Other things to help keep you in check:

- limit yourself to one bread item (or none)
    - get veggies on the side and ask for no butter on them (a lot of restaurants butter them before cooking)
    - don't be afraid to ask for half to be put in a box, double veggies, or sauce on the side (sauces are HUGE culprits)
    - keep in mind that opaque sauces typically mean more calories/fat
    - believe it or not, a 6 ounce steak on a restaurant menu is often one of the lighter dishes it you get it with veggies. If you cut that size in half, you actually are eating a fairly healthy meal
    - don't be afraid to ask what's in your food! If you're self-conscious, tell them you have a food allergy or dietary concerns and need to know for your health (unfortunately, some servers think people counting calories are a hassle, but saying it's for other health reasons usually will ensure 100% effort on the part of the server)
  • elly0001
    elly0001 Posts: 191
    Options
    thanks for all the suggestions :)