Question about water...

Options
2»

Replies

• Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Nailrep wrote: »
    What equals water? Can I drink sugar free kool-aid in place of it? Or flavored water? I know coffee doesn't count, but what about tea?

I just hate water!!

yes to sugar free kool-aid, flavored water (I'd watch out with those lots of sugar), carbonated water like la croix is great, tea is good too try to stay away for the caffeinated ones because then you will be wired all day. This summer I drank a whole pitcher of ice tea and I could not get to sleep that night.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    wow zombie thread should pay attention to the date lol
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    What equals water? Can I drink sugar free kool-aid in place of it? Or flavored water? I know coffee doesn't count, but what about tea?

I just hate water!!

Fluids that don't have diuretic properties. That being said, you still have to count those calories.

Fluids with diuretic properties =
    Caffeinated Beverages
    Prune juice
    Teas containing: dandelion, ginger, hawthorn, juniper, horsetail and stinging nettle.
    Lemon juice
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    As others have said, only water counts as water.... however I do add some Nuun tablets to some of my water, particularly for spinning and running.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Love the necro threads this time of year.

Yes but at least they were using the search function to find what they were looking for rather than starting yet another thread on something covered a thousand times. Silver linings!
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    Vicky14174 wrote: »
    tea counts if it's decaf. i use luzianne decaf tea and have for over 30 years. it's great and if you don't tell someone it's decaf, they'll never know. you can add crystal lite to water, lemon, etc. It counts as water if you can't do just plain water.

Why would tea not be water?
    I make tea every week.
    Its all water, except some flavoring to me.
    Yes, its got caffeine but its still water.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    According to my Nephrologist, everything but alcohol "counts" for hydration. Most all liquids are made up of primarily - you guessed it - water! He said even Diet Coke was fine. The only thing he said doesn't count is alcohol. Caffeine has a negligible affect on hydration.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »

I just hate water!!

Fluids that don't have diuretic properties. That being said, you still have to count those calories.

Fluids with diuretic properties =
    Caffeinated Beverages
    Prune juice
    Teas containing: dandelion, ginger, hawthorn, juniper, horsetail and stinging nettle.
    Lemon juice
    Nonsense

None of those liquids have sufficient diuretic effect to offset the water they're suspended in.
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    According to my Nephrologist, everything but alcohol "counts" for hydration. Most all liquids are made up of primarily - you guessed it - water! He said even Diet Coke was fine. The only thing he said doesn't count is alcohol. Caffeine has a negligible affect on hydration.

Your nephrologist is correct. Considering he's an expert on the subject, and no doubt he doesn't want your kidneys to get any more damage from being inadequately hydrated.... Assuming you're seeing a nephrologist because of current or expect kidney malfunction(since that's what they do).