a good source of protein??

princesstoadstool82
princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
edited September 30 in Food and Nutrition
since using MFP, i have noticed meats, like red meats are quite high in cals.. whats the best for of protein that you've found... as i a love my meats, lamb beef. sometimes chicken.. dont really do the fish, though ... so whats your secret ????

Replies

• SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Some dairy, like yogurt, beans, peanut butter
  • princesstoadstool82
    yeah i have yoghurt, and dairy.. maybe its the cuts i've had that have been high.. and the portions.. so its 100grams for protein, thats enough or too much say like of beef/chicken ??
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    100g of chicken is a good portion (lean meat only), but that's not the same as 100g protein!
  • princesstoadstool82
    100g of chicken is a good portion (lean meat only), but that's not the same as 100g protein!

i am confused by that... wanna explain :)
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    eggs are great
    I love salmon, so eat a lot of that, both fresh grilled or smoked.
    Its great as it is so nutritious, has lots of omega 3 good fats as well as protein. its tastier than white fish.
    and protein shakes are always a good staple
  • labrat26
    labrat26 Posts: 60 Member
    Greek Yoghurt!!!!! 0% fat and 18 gm of protein per serving, in a smoothie with egg whites, and berries and milk..you get over 30 gm protein for around 300 calories
  • GPSHEALTHCOACHING
    GPSHEALTHCOACHING Posts: 497 Member
    I buy a "chuck tender" steak at my local super Walmart. It has like 120 calories and 3.5 grams fat for 4 oz. Also has 20g protein! I put it in the crockpot with TONS of mushrooms, peppers, onions and some sort of seasoning. I'll eat it plain or toast a sandwich thin or bagel thin with some fat free miracle whip and 1 tbsp A1 steak sauce. It's like a steak sub! YUM!!!

I have also used taco meat seasoning for some beef enchiladas.

I'll usually buy a large quantity, cook it up and then freeze it in individual portions for some quick and easy meals.
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Personally, I find egg whites to be inexpensive, always available in my fridge, and awesome with a tablespoon of salsa! I am rarely without some hard boiled eggs pre-cooked for a quick bite. Good luck!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    A 100g portion of chicken breast will have around 30g protein.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    I use cocolate flavoured protein powder, but I am semi-vegetarian.
    Eggs too. :)
  • tigersmoondiva
    tigersmoondiva Posts: 93 Member
    egg whites and turkey. I cook up a turkey and separate it into 3 ounce serving and put it in the fridge (freezer.) This way it's almost ready to go when your hungry NOW.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    If you're a red meat fan... check around for Bison/Buffalo and/or ostrich. Both are incredibly lean and carnivoriscious (new word).
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Cottage cheese, greek yogurt, fish, chicken, lean meats like buffalo, 96/4 hamburger, turkey, tenderloin, top or bottom round steaks. Best thing is just to go to the meat section of your grocery store and just read all the labels. Takes me forever to do my groceries, but at least i know whats in it
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    since using MFP, i have noticed meats, like red meats are quite high in cals.. whats the best for of protein that you've found... as i a love my meats, lamb beef. sometimes chicken.. dont really do the fish, though ... so whats your secret ????

boneless skinless chicken breast is a great source of protein. you want a serving the size of a hockey puck or your fist.
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Greek Yoghurt!!!!! 0% fat and 18 gm of protein per serving, in a smoothie with egg whites, and berries and milk..you get over 30 gm protein for around 300 calories

reccipe for awesome!~! I love these!
  • MrCake
    MrCake Posts: 53

boneless skinless chicken breast is a great source of protein. you want a serving the size of a hockey puck or your fist.

Agreed. Chicken and turkey breast will generally be your best choice as a low calorie protein source, mainly because they are mostly protein. No carbs, very little fat. Plus its generally much cheaper than red meats.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member

Trader joe's has some nice cuts of filet mignon as well as eye of round beef. I also like their 96% fat-free ground beef patties.
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Big 100 Colossal protein bars, protein powder, Tyson grilled & ready chicken (17-22 grams of protein per 3 oz), beans, skim milk, yogurt (I love Yoplait), eggs (I usually eat 3 whole because I'm not into the "throw out the yoke/keep the egg white" thing), almost all lean beef you can find in supermarkets/grocery stores, fish (I hate salmon because my mom made it every Sunday and I got tired of it, but I love cod fish and tilapia). I make my own protein shakes (55g of protein), which is a really good way to help your muscles recover after a workout :

*1 banana
    * 1-2 scoops of whey protein powder (this month I'm using EAS chocolate protein powder which contains 23g of protein per scoop)
    * 3/4 cup (or 1 cup) of skim milk, almond milk, or soy milk.
    * A good amount of ice.

And then just put it in a blender and enjoy!

Hope this helps you out!
  • 4 oz Beef has about 32 g of protein and 311 calories...
    1 oz of of chicken/ turkey has about 34 g of protein and about 177 calories.
    4 oz fish has 30 g of protein and 158 calories.
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    The staple of my diet is chicken and low fat cottage cheese. Chicken sausage are good too as they arent much higher calorie than chicken.

Tuna, fish, beans are also good.

Slightly fattier are eggs and ground turkey (turkey burgers, ground turkey in salad, turkey chili lots of options)

High cal protein being cheese, red meat, ground beef, pork.

HIGHEST cal has to be peanut butter... Carefull!!!!
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    4 oz Beef has about 32 g of protein and 311 calories...
    1 oz of of chicken/ turkey has about 34 g of protein and about 177 calories.
    4 oz fish has 30 g of protein and 158 calories.

You are way off on your chicken info...

1 oz is 9g protein so maybe you meant 4 oz?
    I use 46 cal per oz chicken based off USDA nutrition info for chicken breast only but most of MFP uses 30 calories....

I will assume you meant 4 oz which would be in the right range.
  • Quinoa is surprisingly high in protein for something that can be used like rice. Beans and tofu are quite good, too.

A somewhat controversial source of protein is [a href="http://www.bobsredmill.com/tvp-textured-veg._protein.html"]texturized vegetable protein[/a]. My local, excessively hipsterish indie Whole Foods-type grocery sells it in bulk. Throw it in soup, chili, or lasagne made with shaved zucchini rather than pasta. TVP will take on a ground turkey or lean beef type quality. On its own it has no flavor. I've been toying with making chorizo out of a mixture of TVP and tofu.

OK. I give up on figuring out how to link on this forum. The link is to nutrition info for TVP. No affiliation with Bob's Red Mill, etc. etc.
  • princesstoadstool82
    Quinoa is surprisingly high in protein for something that can be used like rice. Beans and tofu are quite good, too.

A somewhat controversial source of protein is [a href="http://www.bobsredmill.com/tvp-textured-veg._protein.html"]texturized vegetable protein[/a]. My local, excessively hipsterish indie Whole Foods-type grocery sells it in bulk. Throw it in soup, chili, or lasagne made with shaved zucchini rather than pasta. TVP will take on a ground turkey or lean beef type quality. On its own it has no flavor. I've been toying with making chorizo out of a mixture of TVP and tofu.

OK. I give up on figuring out how to link on this forum. The link is to nutrition info for TVP. No affiliation with Bob's Red Mill, etc. etc.
    yeah i've heard of TVP, havent been able to find it.. i'd like to try it though as my boyfriend is a vegitarian...... cant find it here at woolies or coles (Australia),..

thanks everyone for your suggestions, looks like chicken is what i will be eating more of, and fish.... umm i've cooked salmon once.. and killed it.... any one know how to cook it right ??? lol.. eating more baked/ steamed fish would be very good for me and getting my omega 3's as i dont touch fish at all.. but since starting MFP, looks like i should...
  • chicken salad and use the olive oil maynaise, on crackers very good.
  • princesstoadstool82
    chicken salad and use the olive oil maynaise, on crackers very good.
    only ever use olive oil.. :) so whats in a chicken salad, ??? or is it just chicken and mayo ??
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    chicken salad and use the olive oil maynaise, on crackers very good.
    only ever use olive oil.. :) so whats in a chicken salad, ??? or is it just chicken and mayo ??

I stayed with my old neighbors up in NC last week. They made some amazing chicken salad.

I don't know all the ingredients, but it was chicken, raspberries, and mayo.
This discussion has been closed.