Stronglifts Plateaus: Drop Sets or Drop Reps?

Options
Hello all, newbie here.

I have been working on SL 5x5 for about eight months (with various time off), and I have seen some nice progress. However, I’m nearing the third deload on bench and OHP.

Mehdi recommends dropping from a 5x5 to a 3x5 rep schedule. However, I wonder if similar results would be generated from 5x3 instead?

Synopsis of my goals: I want to be stronger and look nice in the mirror. I am neither a bodybuilder or a powerlifter. I just want to have a good baseline of strength.

My bodyweight started at 130 lbs (6’ 1”) after a long illness. I’ve gotten myself over 160 and am still looking to add weight intelligently.

Any discussion is appreciated!

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Mark Rippetoe (author of Starting Strength and coach) is on record that yes, 5x3 can elicit similar gains as 3x5 for some people. He was specifically referring to female trainees not able to advance on 3x5, but I'd imagine it would work well for men.

I'd recommend going 3x5 for now, though. Change to 5x3 - or some other programming - when you can no longer advance on 3x5.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I doubt there's any meaningful difference for the average person between 3x5 and 5x3.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Mark Rippetoe (author of Starting Strength and coach) is on record that yes, 5x3 can elicit similar gains as 3x5 for some people. He was specifically referring to female trainees not able to advance on 3x5, but I'd imagine it would work well for men.
    As specific as he was to 5x3 working for some females, he has been on record saying in the next breath...it doesn't work for men the same. Rip is a stickler for staying with 5s for the majority of people.

That being said some of his coaches specifically Jordan has recently recanted the theory that most females can benefit of triples instead of 5s in general. Though I believe his thoughts might be based on his style of training.
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I doubt there's any meaningful difference for the average person between 3x5 and 5x3.

There is a great difference when your factor in the recovery from fatigue. It isn't the norm to work triples for strength training as a novice specifically. It is hard to recover adequately from the higher intensity and fatigue can set in much easier.

As a novice, one should be able to recover enough to PR every lifting session.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts recommendation is to progress from 5 sets x 5 reps, to 3 sets x 5 reps, then to 3 sets x 3 reps.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    When I couldn't do 5X5 any more, after deloads, I switched to an intermediate program.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    8 months is too long to be doing Stronglifts.

Like Starting Stength, you should be able to transition to an intermediate program after 4-6 months.

You will face different rep/set routines in such programs designed to induce further strength gains for beginners who have plateaued on linear progression programs like Stronglifts and Starting Strength.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    8 months is too long to be doing Stronglifts.

Like Starting Stength, you should be able to transition to an intermediate program after 4-6 months.

You will face different rep/set routines in such programs designed to induce further strength gains for beginners who have plateaued on linear progression programs like Stronglifts and Starting Strength.

I did SLs for about 14 months, and progressed well. I wouldn't say someone has to jump ship at a set time.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If no other preference, I'll just point out 3 sets of 5 reps will require considerable less time in the gym than 5 sets of 3 reps.