Looking for Food Lovers on a Diet!

Options
I LOVE cooking new and different recipes each week and I want to know what everyone else is eating to lose weight! I get so sad when I see people logging 1 salmon filet and instant rice for dinner.... BORING & BLAND! I want to add some new friends with public diaries who also enjoy cooking so I can get some new recipe ideas. I'm primarily looking for vegetarian recipes, but meat-lovers are welcome too! Thanks :-)

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    One of my friends was cutting for a body building competition and he ate the exact same meal 3x a day for months. Unseasoned boneless skinless chicken breasts, steamed broccoli, and rice.

I find it absolutely baffling that some folks don't mind eating the same meals again and again. Props to them, but I could never do it.

I love experimenting in the kitchen, there are so many wonderful flavours to explore. I've recently been really enjoying reading through The Food Lab and trying Kenji's recipes!
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Add me if you want, my diary is open and I love to cook (and eat!) Most of my evening meals are from the recipes I've built up, but can provide links to anything you like the look of :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't keep a diary anymore, but I love to cook. Nutritious can also be very delicious, but I think a lot of people think losing weight has to be this painful thing and that if something tastes good, it must be "bad"...that and I think the art of cooking has been lost to a great many people...
  • cportwine
    cportwine Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You know...salmon doesn't have to be boring...I couldn't eat it for a long time...then a friend of mine gave me a blackened salmon recipe and wow....all the difference. I also had a smoked salmon at a company picnic that was to die for....loved it.... :) l am sure there are lots of people with cooking ideas out there.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I enjoy bland flavours quite a lot more than richer “tastier” ones, personally :(
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    One of my friends was cutting for a body building competition and he ate the exact same meal 3x a day for months. Unseasoned boneless skinless chicken breasts, steamed broccoli, and rice.

I find it absolutely baffling that some folks don't mind eating the same meals again and again. Props to them, but I could never do it.

I love experimenting in the kitchen, there are so many wonderful flavours to explore. I've recently been really enjoying reading through The Food Lab and trying Kenji's recipes!

I love vegetarian tacos. I could eat them every other night and be happy. We all eat our favorite foods regularly, some people just prefer more or less often. For me, even if I had them recently, I know I'll love them tonight.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian, but I frequently eat meals that have no meat, and in many of my meals that do contain meat, the meat isn't really the focal point (i.e., you could often eliminate it and still have what I would consider a full meal). For example, tonight I logged about an ounce of dry salame with my dinner, but it was just what I was nibbling on to tide me over until I was able to actually fix dinner, which was black-eyed peas, white rice, and collard greens (leftovers from earlier in the week) with hot sauce and two of the batch of corn muffins I made this evening. I added some chiles, cheddar, and bacon to the corn muffin batter, but you could leave out the bacon.
  • Acem24
    Acem24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hey there,
    How about poblano peppers stuff with rice and cheese, baked and serve with beans or avocado.
  • Acem24
    Options
    How about hot corn salsa in a corn tortilla with slow cooker beans.
  • Acem24
    Options
    How about toast with avocado and bruschetta
  • Acem24
    Options
    How about a peanut butter and honey banana sandwich on wheat or whole gain bread.
  • Acem24
    Options
    How about noodle soup with vegatable broth, potatoes, and cabbage.
  • Acem24
    Options
    I can go on forever
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Both my husband and I love cooking, entertaining, eating out and trialing new recipes. I am living proof that this does not mean not loosing weight Got down from obese to BMI 22 in 3.5 years. Sure possibly could have gone faster but I would have missed out on some great food and trials along the way.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,414 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I cook nearly every day, and if not then I've cooked for two days the day before :smile:

My way of cooking works like this: Meat is in the freezer in mostly equal portions (living along, etc). So I want to make a dish with mince and bulgur. I know the mince is roughly 100gr. I have a rough idea what else I put in and I want to stay within 550-650kcal. Another ingredient is feta, high in calories. So I decide to take 70gr of Bulgur instead of 80, cook and log all my ingredients at the same time. Feta comes last, so I can portion it such that it fits within my calorie budget, thus take a bit more or less.

Thus:
    Meat calories is fixed due to what I've portioned and put in freezer
    Rice, bulgur, potato, pasta, etc is fairly flexible, usually around 70-80gr dry.
    Add oil, veggies and spices and log while cooking
    If another calorie high ingredient is added then make it work.

For me logging and making it work doesn't take a lot of time.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    We cook frequently and we freeze leftovers in single serving portions to take to work for lunches. Saves money and is more healthful. Dinner last night was black bean soup. Easy to make and freezes well.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i love to cook (and bake when someone is around i can give it away to lol). most of my stuff i do in the recipe builder so you see what it is but not a breakdown of ingredients. often the calorie counts are slightly higher in the diary than what i actually made, because i make lower calorie substitutions when i can or the serving size is smaller and i just dont care to recreate the recipe myself, though sometimes i will. i just consider it a slight 'padding' lol

i usually take leftovers of some variety for lunch.

ive lost 103 pounds so it works for me lol
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    If salmon is bland you're doing it wrong.
  • ZRunner5Lulaica
    ZRunner5Lulaica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I don't worry too much about people who do the second meals all the time. If it's working for them, that's great. Personally though, I can't. Hubby and I are both food people, and I love cooking. So we're doing more of an "eat what we want, but less" method. We keep breakfasts and snacks in check, but dinner is adventure time (with leftovers going to lunch).

We're not vegetarian, but I am trying to do one "ethnic" dish (we live in Houston, so culturally we have a huge variety in cuisine), one vegetable heavy dish (usually vegetarian, leftovers from our Hello fresh days when I tried to get vegetarian meals), and a free-for-all meal (whatever else sounds good).

Feel free to add me or just hit me up if you see a meal I ate and want the recipe. I have a growing Pinterest board of recipes to try this year.
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You can add me. I do tend to eat a lot of the same foods throughout the week because I love left overs (They make life so easy!), but I love to cook and eat! I just eat a little less now.