Noob Walking with weight. Yes or No?

Options
Hello Everyone,

First I would like to apologize for any bad spelling, improper grammar, sentence structure and any other mistakes in this post.

So I have been at this for about 10 days and was wondering if it's okay if I add weights to my daily walk that I've been trying to motivate myself to do every day. After walking for a while I am going to start jogging then awhile after that running and increasing the distance.

I'm trying to walk everyday that I don't work out at the gym for 1 hour and the days I do work out at the gym 30 minutes. So I was wondering the days I don't go to the gym and I walk for an hour would it be okay to add weight to my body as I walk? I was thinking a book bag full of stuff and some ankle weights. I'm new at this it has only been 10 days since I've been walking for exercise, so I'm not sure if I'm trying to do too much or not. I was also wondering should I try to eat a lot of protein after I walk like the days I work out at the gym? I don't want to hurt myself so I would appreciate your advice and I thank you all so much you are really helping me so much.

Replies

• Tweety379
    Options
    I'm not an expert or anything. I would try a little weight at first. Or another option is to keep up with the walking, but do some strenght training with weights as well.
  • klamont9
    klamont9 Posts: 59
    Options
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    you might want to start out with just the ankle weights and then work up. If you add the bookbag, and the weights at the same time you are more likely to get hurt. If youre looking to build muscle then alittle bit of protein will help your muscles heal, and build more muscle up. Just make sure the protein isnt over board on calories because then it would defeat the purpose of the cardio part of the walking.
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I've always been told to walk further and run from weights. Weights on the ankles especially can cause problems on the joints. I think if you would walk an extra mile or try to increase your speed you would see better results.
  • GladImTall
    GladImTall Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    depending on how overweight you are, weights around your ankles may be unsafe for your joints. You can damage your knees, ankles by adding weight and then the stress of walking/jogging/running with the weight.

Find some strength training activities at the gym. If you really want to do some weights while you walk- fill a couple of bottles of water and start with those- do bicep curls while you're walking, etc. And then- you've got a drink handy when you get thirsty!
  • deadliftdavie1918
    deadliftdavie1918 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am certainly not an expert, but the very idea of weights on my ankles while I am running or walking makes my knees scream at me. It seems the more important thing is to get your heart rate up, which you can accomplish by walking quickly. If you want to get stronger do strength training.
  • baxter07
    Options
    I would not add any weights. Adding weights could result in an injury, due to changing your posture while walking. I would try to increase the pace of your walk or do short intervals of jogging in-between walking.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    "was wondering if it's okay if I add weights to my daily walk." -Sure. But why?

" I was also wondering should I try to eat a lot of protein after I walk like the days I work out at the gym?" -Within 30 minutes of a workout.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    If your end result is to run, the weights aren’t a tool really to get you there. (They add muscle where running shreds fat.) Try the C25K DVD. (Couch to 5K) I run and started with just power walking. Add me as a friend if you want support from a fellow runner. Best of luck!