Mark Lauren - You Are Your Own Gym DVD

Options
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has tried the Mark Lauren 'You Are Your Own Gym' DVDs?
The gym I go to isn't the best for weights and stuff, the area is small and always packed with other people so I was looking to start doing some stuff at home. I don't really have anywhere to keep weights or a home gym.
I saw this DVD and thought I could give it a go, but wanted to know if anyone has tried it?

Replies

• Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Darn. I was hoping someone would have tried it. I'm curious.
  • britebloomz
    britebloomz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I haven't done his dvd. I think most people have done his YAYOG book program and his phone app. I started with his book, Body by You, which is for total beginners and so the progressions are more detailed and layed out. It was a great intro for me.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I just got Body By You from the library. I would do better following a DVD as opposed to a book so maybe I will look into the app. I also am exploring nerdfitness.com
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    His book You Are Your Own Gym was informative and I use the app whenever I travel. It works for me!
  • dudergroob
    dudergroob Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I haven't but I know a bunch of people who have and love it. It's very similar to other full-body calisthenics programs like Convict Conditioning
  • NickIandolo
    NickIandolo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use the YAYOG app religiously. I've read the book (in ebook form) for more detailed info (cause that's the kind of person I am). The program is great! Just use the app and take your time working up from either the Basic or First Class programs.

If you have the Body By You book, you can still use the YAYOG app to create custom workouts that match what's in that book. It may take a bit more prep time but it can be done and you'll get the benefit of the timers that are in the app, which helps make the workouts way more efficient. And, you'll be able to play your favorite music while working out. I've got playlists for each muscle group (mostly 80s and 90s rock). The app (at least the iPhone version) links directly to iTunes; you can even select specific songs and pause the music when you get a call.

Here's a tip: get an okay (no need for top-of-the-line) set of earbuds designed for exercise (that have rubber struts to keep the earbuds in the ears). You only need to hear the music to help you focus on your workout; you're not having a pure auditory symphonic experience. Many inexpensive exercise earbuds also come with a built-in mic so when you get a call during your workout you can take it (and have them call you back later) while still working out.

I'm on the Chief Class now in the YAYOG series and very happy with the results. Mark Lauren is the best! We're even Facebook friends.

I'm actually going to start his EFX Postural Training program in conjunction with the YAYOG Chief Class.

I've never felt better, and at age 50 I'm in the best shape of my life! :)

https://marklauren.com/apps.html
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has tried the Mark Lauren 'You Are Your Own Gym' DVDs?
    The gym I go to isn't the best for weights and stuff, the area is small and always packed with other people so I was looking to start doing some stuff at home. I don't really have anywhere to keep weights or a home gym.
    I saw this DVD and thought I could give it a go, but wanted to know if anyone has tried it?

yep I am currently doing them now. you dont use weights its all body weight workouts. but in a month I have seen where areas are getting firmer.I love doing them as they are only about 20 min(some a little longer) and they are tough so if you are a beginner even the beginner dvd may be too much. (he doesnt show you how to do modifications).
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have both of his books (Yayog and Body by You) but I feel stuck trying to get started. It seems complicated to me, but maybe if I had the DVD I could follow it better.
  • gallowaygal
    gallowaygal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The app is what clarified things for me. You can just follow along and do the workouts.
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I've started the workouts this week