Dutch Oven

Bloooz
Bloooz Posts: 12 Member
What should I be making?

I made a big pot of Mexican rice with sautéed shrimp, any other ideas?

Replies

• Aplant77
    Aplant77 Posts: 112 Member
    I make goulash in mine.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited January 2018
    Bloooz wrote: »
    What should I be making?

Dutch ovens are especially handy when you want to brown a big hunk of meat and then add enough liquid to partially cover and cook it slowly on the stove-top or in the oven to break down connective tissue. Chuck roast and pork shoulder leap immediately to mind; so do belligerent roosters.
  • Marillian
    Marillian Posts: 3,892 Member
    Chili, soups, brisket, pot roast.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Chicken & noodles,beef stew,bean soup.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Not the dutch oven I was thinking of :laugh:
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member

I literally came here to post "The 18 year old in me saw the title and giggled." :D
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »

I literally came here to post "The 18 year old in me saw the title and giggled." :D

Baha, same here.

I use mine for all sorts of things, brisket (brown it all over, chuck in a cup of red sauce and pop in the oven low n slow for 3-4 hours), roasts (brown then pop in a medium oven for an hour or so), chilli, stews...
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    I mostly use mine for stews, soups, and chilis, or anything with too much volume for a sauce pan that needs the even heating of a heavier pan (as opposed to my lighter weight stock pot). I don't do big pieces of meat much any more, but if I did, the dutch oven would be my go-to for chuck roast or brisket, and I might do a whole chicken in one, depending on the results I was looking for.

You can also bake bread inside a dutch oven.
  • Bailey00030
    Bailey00030 Posts: 30 Member
    Turkey and black bean chili is awesome and can be frozen. Also homemade soups. I use my dutch oven to make chicken and shrimp jambalaya too and leftovers are even better
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »

Clearly we live in the cool part of the world where it has a very different meaning!
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    ljmorgi wrote: »
    'Fessing up that I came over to see if this was about the cooking vessel or not.

me too
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    OldHobo wrote: »
    Bloooz wrote: »
    What should I be making?

Dutch ovens are especially handy when you want to brown a big hunk of meat and then add enough liquid to partially cover and cook it slowly on the stove-top or in the oven to break down connective tissue. Chuck roast and pork shoulder leap immediately to mind; so do belligerent roosters.

Yes old roosters really need to be thrown in the dutch oven >:)