Probiotics

Options
2»

Replies

• blueheartrisen
    blueheartrisen Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have used probiotics for other reasons, but they did not seem to help the digestibility of certain raw foods. If a soup is available instead of a salad, that's what I am going for because cooking really does help the digestibility of a lot of things for me. Many restaurants where I live will let you substitute a second side in place of a salad, so I go for cooked options.

For social situations, in some cases it might be helpful to just pull the host aside for a second and say something like "if you see me not eating something, it's because I have some food sensitivities, not that I do not like it". (If it's something where it's likely to be obvious that you are not eating). If you can just discreetly pick around the raw carrots/broccoli/etc you might still be able to eat enough lettuce in the salad to be socially under the radar.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,366 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    errrzarrr wrote: »
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Homemade pickles and yogurt might help the way sauerkraut could.

Why exactly pickles should be homemade?

Because instead of using vinegar they are fermented using salt:
    http://sparklekitchen.com/2015/07/how-to-pickle-for-probiotics/

Exactly this. Homemade or store bought, pickles may be made in various ways, and preserved in various ways. For probiotics, you want fermented pickles that still have live cultures, i.e., have not been pasteurized or heat canned or anything like that. Commercially, usually they're sold refrigerated, and the label should say something about fermentation/live cultures.

Most pickles are made with vinegar or salt brine, and heat canned to be shelf stable.

There are lots of foods that have probotics, besides fermented pickles or sauerkraut (same label cautions apply). Examples include raw/unpasteurized vinegar, yogurt, kefir, kombucha, miso . . . .

Science on probiotics' benefits is still pretty young.