How to get over a plateau?

Options
I've lost 8lbs already. Doing really well but now I'm at a plateau and I'm not sure how to get over it! Any suggestions would be helpful. I've been on a very low carb diet and lots of water. Exercising. I'm just stuck!

Replies

• knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    for how long?
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    In addition to the above:

1. What kind of plateau? Scale only, or are you tracking your progress in multiple ways? Sometimes a scale plateau is NOT a fat loss plateau ;)

2. Check and track your macros. I use the IIFYM calculator. My last plateau I discovered I wasn't eating enough fat, added more back into my diet, and boom, the scale started to budge again.

3. Switch up your workout routine. If you're prone to doing the same (or similar) things each day, try something new. Mix it up. Spend time doing strength training.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Really? Plateaus usually don't happen after a loss of 8 lbs - unless you are underweight to start with.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I've lost 8lbs already. Doing really well but now I'm at a plateau and I'm not sure how to get over it! Any suggestions would be helpful. I've been on a very low carb diet and lots of water. Exercising. I'm just stuck!

How long did it take you to lose 8 lbs and how long have you been stalled? How much weight are you trying to lose in total?
  • DmaMfz
    DmaMfz Posts: 125 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Are you also eating at a deficit? Just doing low carb doesn't mean you'll lose weight if you're eating at maintenance now.
  • DmaMfz
    DmaMfz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    ggirgis44 wrote: »
    Try adding in fresh vegetables. I also follow a low carb plan. Since I started adding a tomato, onion, and cucumber salad (dressed with 2% Greek Yogurt dressing, homemade), it really increased my fat loss. Often on a lower carb plan, the tendency is to lower carb levels at the expense of vegetables. They contain micronutrients and fiber, which aid in burning fat! Try out increasing vegetables and see if it makes a difference. And as with all things, slow and steady wins the race. Keep making good choices regardless of the scale and you will see a difference!

You're losing because you are at a calorie deficit and that's it. Has nothing to do with the type of food you eat, when, or the macro ratio.