How do you avoid going on binges?

Options
Live_life_well
Live_life_well Posts: 86 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone else on here struggle with avoiding binges? Starting with a half cup of ice cream and looking at the clock 2 hours later and realizing that you actually lost control and went through 3-5 cups of ice cream?

How do you avoid going on these binges? Do you keep your most tempting foods out of your home?

Replies

• Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I would have chased that with chicken wings and a large bag of chips...so you're good. If you log it it's not so bad.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    For me the best defense is to avoid under-eating. Getting too few calories for too many days sets me up for a binge.

Binge -> feel guilty -> under eat -> binge.... it can be a cycle. It's worth it to make the extra effort to assess the appropriate calorie goal for your current size and activity and to realize that going too low is counterproductive in the long run.

^^^
  • riverscloud3407
    riverscloud3407 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Look at your calorie intake. Any thing that’s too low will cause you to binge. It’s almost unavoidable. When your body is deprived you will do anything you can. It’s just natural. Don’t feel to guilty about it. Try to move some of your extra snacking calories if you have any into your meals. You’ll feel fuller and be happier to eat them. You should be able to tell the different between a snack and a meal.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    I don't consider 3-5 cups of ice-cream a binge. Would most consider this a binge? I had ice-cream a couple of nights ago and had 3-bowls, each probably more than a cup. I thought it was a lot but not a binge. I would have to eat a 1/2 gallon and do it uncontrollably without hunger for me to consider it a binge. I have eaten that much a couple of times in college but I was hungry and ate it all intentionally. I considered that really a lot, but still not a binge since I was hungry and didn't want to not eat it.
  • helene4
    helene4 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    There are certain foods I just can't eat because I know once I start it will be incredibly hard for me to stop or I'll lose track quickly of how much I've eaten. After a few months of not eating those foods (chips and almonds mainly) I don't even crave them anymore :)

Maybe if you do buy ice cream, buy a smaller container? So even if you eat it all it not that much? Just an idea

Good luck!
  • bigfatguy13088
    bigfatguy13088 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Best for me- avoid alcohol
    If I didn’t drink, I wouldn’t binge eat, and I would probably weight 20 lbs less than I am now
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Halo Top.

I tried that. It's nasty in my opinion. The solution is either don't deprive yourself generally and you will be less likely to binge. Solution #2 don't bring it into the house. If you have an ice cream craving to to a local ice cream shop and get a small cone, or scoop and then quickly leave.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else on here struggle with avoiding binges? Starting with a half cup of ice cream and looking at the clock 2 hours later and realizing that you actually lost control and went through 3-5 cups of ice cream?

How do you avoid going on these binges? Do you keep your most tempting foods out of your home?

If it's food I have trouble with, sometimes I just make sure I go out and buy a single serving instead of bringing a large container home.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Planning to have appropriate choices available and inappropriate ones unavailable usually works for me. My husband keeps his snacks in a separate location where I don't have to look at them.

I've been having to exercise self control recently because I bought some treats for myself for Christmas - good cheese, good chocolate, nuts - and I've been doling them out in portions which fit into my calories, mostly with success. But then one day I sort of ate all the almonds. And looking at it, I can see where I went wrong: 1) the day before was a long run day, and I finished that day with a 1500 calorie deficit, 2) I didn't have a good dinner planned so grabbed what was supposed to be a snack to tide me over until I figured out dinner. In other words, undereating combined with lack of planning. I ended up under my calorie budget because 500 calories of almonds became my dinner, which is okay for one day but is not the most sustainable way of eating!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,982 Member
    Options
    This can be a very individual subject, but for me, the best way to avoid binges is to allow myself to eat the things I like, and just plan them into my days/diet. Some things, like pizza, it's far easier to buy a small personal size than to keep myself from grabbing "just one more slice" so recognizing ways to balance your desire with your willpower helps.

Ice cream is another one - I'll buy the little individual cups. Sure, they're more expensive, but I refrain from inhaling more than I should. The little personal pizzas are the same way. I can finish all of it and not feel guilty because I've planned it into my day and it's a reasonable size.

If I try to cut things out completely, that's a sure fire way to end up in binge land for me! Doesn't mean I keep a ton of it around the house, but I keep one or two for the days I really want it.