Surgery, how much can I eat with no movement?

Options
Hey guys!
So I have surgery next week and my doctor said I won't be able to move for atleast a week, I'm worried I'll gain weight if I eat much. How much can I eat in a day without any movement and not gain weight?
I'm 5'6 and 165 pounds

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance while you are recovering. If you've been losing weight on this site, use your past food diary as a guide.

You'll need to eat as much as you can to aid in recovery and if you're having surgery there will be a lot of inflammation afterward which will show up as water weight.

Just focus on recovery.

I hope it goes well.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    There's a solid chance you may find you don't have much appetite. I had major surgery a few years ago, and it was probably close to a month before I felt normal-ish, appetite wise. I actually lost a good amount of weight, despite eating mom's comfort food! But you do need fuel to heal, so don't NOT eat just because you're worried about weight gain.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Your body needs lots of calories to recover from surgery. Eat at maintenance or a little above.
    Good luck. <3
  • Tinkachu
    Tinkachu Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Isn't the lowest value normally 1,200? I'm slightly taller than you and that's about how much I'd eat if I was going to be totally stationary for a while. But with your weight you can definitely get away with more I'm sure.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I would eat at maintenance as well for the week- and then when I get the doctors ok- go back to mfp recommendations for losing
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    focus on recovery not your weight loss. there will be time to get back to it when youve healed. slow and steady
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    What the other said - definately don't eat at a calorie deficit as you will need to heal. I don't know how much protein you usually eat (or what kind of surgery you are having), but it may be worth increasing that a bit as well. That said, I had a hip replacement a few years ago and the post op morphine made me really nauseous so I lost my appetite for a few days.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I had surgery two weeks ago and only just shuffling rather than walking.
    I really struggled to eat the first week and had to just drink my calories. Plenty fruit juice and also milk shake and protein shakes.
    I had a few tbsp of nut butter to boost my fats.
    I had planned on eating slightly over maintenance but couldn't manage.
    I managed yesterday to hit maintenance for the first time.
    I plan on eating at that level until I feel healed, around 8 weeks.
    Your body needs the extra calories to help you heal.
    I would not eat less.
    Good luck with your surgery. Please update us how you are getting on.
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Please listen to the good advice here. You should be eating at least at maintenance whilst recovering from an op (I have experience here). Your body needs the fuel to help you heal - don't make it harder for your body to repair the damage by crimping its fuel lines. Best of luck with your surgery. :)
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I’ve been suffering from and recovering from an infectious disease over the last eight days, and my activity level went from consistent 11-12k steps per day to hardy any.
    I’ve been eating at what MFP proposed were my sedentary maintenance calories, and lost nearly 2 kilos. Looks like my body needed extra calories to fight the infection.
  • SwissHausfrau
    SwissHausfrau Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I've read this and to the OP for asking. I'm having surgery in 2 weeks to lengthen my achilles tendon and so I will be restricted with what I do. (though I have been quite restricted for the last 6 months due to the pain) I never thought about needing more calories to heal but of course it makes perfect sense now I think about it....
    I hope you op goes well and you have a good recovery.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You'll need to AT LEAST eat a maintenance--depending on how extensive the surgery, you could need up to 2x your maintenance calories to heal. As others have said, you'll gain a bunch of water weight from the IV fluids, so don't weigh yourself for at least 2 weeks post op to give that time to go away.