Menopause, recovery, and 80lbs to lose. Gah, help!

Options
pluckybanana
pluckybanana Posts: 7 Member
edited January 2018 in Getting Started
Hi all, I signed up two days ago. I’ve read many threads here and I’m feeling a bit hopeful for the first time in a long while. I’d really appreciate friends and motivation.

A brief history: I had a hysterectomy 15 years ago which has recently caused me to go into an early menopause . I gained a bit of weight after the surgery, but not that much, probably around 20 lbs.

Five years ago I was able to get off the painkillers I’d been taking for 10 years. It was a big struggle. It was really easy to deal with my withdrawal with food. I gained another 40 lbs in the following 4 years. When I quit the painkillers, my doctor put me on antidepressants to help with my recovery, and I went off them last year. The withdrawal from the antidepressants was just as bad as (if not worse than) the withdrawal off the opiates.

Gah!! Now I have 80-90 lbs to lose, and it feels so overwhelming. I’m so happy I found this community.

Katina.

Replies

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,779 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Welcome to the MFP community. :) It's easy to get overwhelmed when we think about how much total we need to lose. To make that less stressful and more manageable, you might consider going with 10-pound increments as mini-goals and aiming for 0.5 to 1 pound per week. Small changes add up!
  • suerlewis2
    suerlewis2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hiya! From one Newbie to another - please don't be overwhelmed, these guys are a great bunch. You must celebrate everything!!! - Step 1: You've regained control of your life / body. Step 2: Finding and signing up for MFP. Step 3 ? Not wasting four hours per day on here like I do. You'll be just fine m'dear, come on in, it's nice and warm. :)
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    You got this! Feel free to add me. I have about 80 to lose, but my focus is going to be on exercise and eating for what works for me.