How did you stop consuming processed sugar?

Options

Replies

• rrj242
    rrj242 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey, no added sugar whatsoever. If you can have the self control and do a 200 calorie treat in moderation, fine, but for me a few bites of a dessert left me less satisfied than none at all (and had me extra on edge next day). The first week of cold turkey was really rough, but it really does change your tastebuds. Fruit comes to taste really sweet, and processed things taste sickly sweet (no seriously, I gagged at the Starbucks drink that I've loved for a decade).

My favorite healthy dessert when I'm really wanting one is frozen banana, cashews, cocoa powder, and a splash of vanilla thrown in the food processor. It's my pudding/ice cream substitute.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I used "that sugar app", tracking my sugar consumption helped considerably in reducing sugar. You do need to work with your own traits, so if abstaining means you want to binge, don't aim for no added sugar. Maybe keep notes on mood along with your food diary if you haven't figured it out yet
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Um...here is the thing. I am not a big sweet/confectionery eater. But I am eating in a caloric surplus now and sugar makes up for some of my filler cals. So I have never stopped eating it, have actually increased my intake at the moment...
  • Linz91741
    Linz91741 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am going through the same thing! I just started attempting to stop on Dec. 27 and it is insane how much my thoughts center around sugar! I was off work due to holiday so it was easier for the first few days because I kept it from my house. I returned to work on Jan. 2 and ended up binge eating candy. I felt awful: headache, nausea, irritability, and even some guilt. I spent the next two days avoiding all of the community bags of M&Ms, Hershey's Nuggets, etc. and started Googling "reasons why sugar is bad for me" and writing them down when I had cravings. Over 2 days, I came up with 20. I'm going to keep a running list until I can look at the candy without wanting to cave (I guess you can say it's like aversion therapy). I understand that this probably sounds extreme, but my cravings feel extreme, so I guess why it's working for me.

I am also planning to do research on sugar addiction. I am an ex-smoker, and feel very similar to how I felt when quitting smoking.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I do not. I eat whatever fits in my calories for the day.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    rrj242 wrote: »
    I went cold turkey, no added sugar whatsoever. If you can have the self control and do a 200 calorie treat in moderation, fine, but for me a few bites of a dessert left me less satisfied than none at all (and had me extra on edge next day). The first week of cold turkey was really rough, but it really does change your tastebuds. Fruit comes to taste really sweet, and processed things taste sickly sweet (no seriously, I gagged at the Starbucks drink that I've loved for a decade).

My favorite healthy dessert when I'm really wanting one is frozen banana, cashews, cocoa powder, and a splash of vanilla thrown in the food processor. It's my pudding/ice cream substitute.

This and minimal (if any) prepackaged foods from the grocery store (what the heck is sugar doing in marinara sauce anyways). And, no snacking allowed the first few weeks I eliminated added sugar. Fruit and natural sugars with their fiber and nutrients saved for deserts but only with a regular meal.

Good luck!
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Most of the sugar in marinara sauce is not 'added' sugar - it comes from the tomatoes, which have 3.2 grams of sugar in a 123 gram (medium tomato) serving.

As has been said before, unless you have a medical reason to avoid sugar there is no reason to cut it out. If you find that you cannot regulate the sugary/fatty snacks, don't buy them or bring them into your house.

I have to chime in here... I disagree. I've made homemade marinara sauce loads of times before, if you don't add sugar it's super acidic! I happen to like the acidic flavor, so i choose sugar-free option, but there's no freaking way store bought doesn't add significant sugar to make it taste as mild as it does! Every recipe for marinara sauce calls for sugar.

That claim raised my eyebrows, as I have a crap-ton of cookbooks and magazines and can't remember ever noting recipes calling for sugar, from Mario Batali to Bon Appetit or Food and Wine to Better Homes and Gardens. From looking online now, I do see that sources like the Pioneer Woman call for a teaspoon of sugar or so of sugar, but I don't think she is particularly noted for her authentic Italian cookery. To me some grocery store tomatoes are so acidic they taste like puke (sorry) and if that was all I had access to I would probably want to put in some sugar too.

However...the acidity/sweetness profile can just as easily be determined by the kinds of tomatoes you use. I put up many jars of marinara every year and use a mix of homegrown San Marzanos, Brandywines, Black Krims and a family heirloom cherry, which creates a balanced, subtly sweet and smoky profile which is more pronounced if I roast the tomatoes. Recipes made with wine or balsamic vinegar are also going to have a sweeter profile. Obviously one would probably pay much more for a jarred sauce made with a bespoke heirloom tomato mix or more expensive ingredients, but that's the trade-off. The best option in my book is to make your own.

To tie this back into the OP's question, there are a lot of tricks and techniques for different foods where you can play with the flavor profiles to bring out the natural sweetness. I think you just have to be really disciplined at first and muscle through it, but over a couple of weeks your palate will adjust and the cravings should get less, and really something like an apple or banana has so much sugar in it, those become a dessert in themselves. When I was actively cutting, I would use a little honey on my greek yogurt, or have a small square or two of chocolate, and those really helped with the cravings.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    That claim raised my eyebrows, as I have a crap-ton of cookbooks and magazines and can't remember ever noting recipes calling for sugar, from Mario Batali to Bon Appetit or Food and Wine to Better Homes and Gardens.

Ok I stand corrected. I should have said "every receive I've ever seen." Obviously I haven't seen all recipes. Haha! Also I know nothing of the tomato language you speak. It's cool! But I buy tomatoes at the grocery store. Hopefully I can someday be exposed to other tomatoes!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Most of the sugar in marinara sauce is not 'added' sugar - it comes from the tomatoes, which have 3.2 grams of sugar in a 123 gram (medium tomato) serving.

As has been said before, unless you have a medical reason to avoid sugar there is no reason to cut it out. If you find that you cannot regulate the sugary/fatty snacks, don't buy them or bring them into your house.

I have to chime in here... I disagree. I've made homemade marinara sauce loads of times before, if you don't add sugar it's super acidic! I happen to like the acidic flavor, so i choose sugar-free option, but there's no freaking way store bought doesn't add significant sugar to make it taste as mild as it does! Every recipe for marinara sauce calls for sugar.

This isn't true. I make marinara sauce often and never add sugar, and it's not acidic (to my taste) at all.

It also can have a decent amount of sugar, especially if I add a variety of other vegetables.

Store bought (which I have not purchased for about 20 years, but started looking at occasionally when this became something people talked about) various a LOT in the amount of added sugar. Some, I expect, are ridiculously sweet, whereas others have little added sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

That claim raised my eyebrows, as I have a crap-ton of cookbooks and magazines and can't remember ever noting recipes calling for sugar, from Mario Batali to Bon Appetit or Food and Wine to Better Homes and Gardens. From looking online now, I do see that sources like the Pioneer Woman call for a teaspoon of sugar or so of sugar, but I don't think she is particularly noted for her authentic Italian cookery.

Fundamentals of Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazen, which is a book I'd recommend, does suggest a little sugar in marinara, but it's just a bit, nothing significant. (She also recommends good quality canned san marzano tomatoes out of season vs. trying to use supermarket, if memory serves. I agree with that recommendation although maybe someday I will can my own.)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Anyway, unless OP says otherwise, I seriously doubt her issue is about marinara sauce.
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

That claim raised my eyebrows, as I have a crap-ton of cookbooks and magazines and can't remember ever noting recipes calling for sugar, from Mario Batali to Bon Appetit or Food and Wine to Better Homes and Gardens. From looking online now, I do see that sources like the Pioneer Woman call for a teaspoon of sugar or so of sugar, but I don't think she is particularly noted for her authentic Italian cookery.

Fundamentals of Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazen, which is a book I'd recommend, does suggest a little sugar in marinara, but it's just a bit, nothing significant. (She also recommends good quality canned san marzano tomatoes out of season vs. trying to use supermarket, if memory serves. I agree with that recommendation although maybe someday I will can my own.)

San Marzanos are awesome and are the backbone of my sauce mix, but yes a little acid; here is an interesting article saying Indiana grown Red Gold are the best due to a very pleasant balance of sweetness. https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/best-canned-tomatoes-san-marzano-italian-taste-test-article If I buy from the store as a Hoosier, I’m buying local. ;)
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    That claim raised my eyebrows, as I have a crap-ton of cookbooks and magazines and can't remember ever noting recipes calling for sugar, from Mario Batali to Bon Appetit or Food and Wine to Better Homes and Gardens.

Ok I stand corrected. I should have said "every receive I've ever seen." Obviously I haven't seen all recipes. Haha! Also I know nothing of the tomato language you speak. It's cool! But I buy tomatoes at the grocery store. Hopefully I can someday be exposed to other tomatoes!

Check out the farmers markets in the later summer—they might have a lot of fun things to try. I especially love any black tomato. Yellows I have for the most part found to be insipid. Also Whole Foods type stores will have different heirlooms but the prices can be obnoxious.

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I haven't quit sugar but I use sucralose when it works for me...typically in coffee and other drinks. I am in the camp of table sugar isn't evil.