C25K- who's joinin me?

Options

Replies

• ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was W1D3 and it didnt go to plan! Went to my dads for tea from work and a MASSIVE plate of Steak Pie and Chips my (soon-to-be) mother-in-law had slaved over, as i dont go round very often.

Dont get me wrong it was beautiful, and i thought 'oh god hows this going to effect my run?!?!?!? ill soon find out'

Needless to say the old wives tales of pie and chip giving you loads of energy for the day ahead or whatever, is aload of tripe...

set off like a rocket getting a good pace and could hold it for the time allocated and i know i can hold it longer now, however, 15 minutes in to running and, oh god, i thought my stomach area was going to pack up and leave me. I cramped up and couldnt musta anything more than a brisk walk for the last 7 minutes or so, i did push as head as possible without keeling over and completed the time with the best distance covered, meaning i am improving, so at least i can take 2 things away from yesterdaysa antics.

1 i am improving and looking forward to Starting week 2 tomorrow with only weight training tonight, no cardio for a change.

and 2 never, under any circumstances eat a meal like pie and chip before a run! a Banana will do just fine!

I log my C25K on Endmondo for GPS phones, and its amazin givin you feedback of lap times and speed etc. plus you can properly analyse your runs afterwards... being an analyst for my job, i like this :) lol
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Like minds! I just did my first run today. Today-I was pretty bad :) I've gotten used to walking 5k during my lunches but running is completely different. I had to talk/yell to myself 'Okay come on, you can do this!' at the last jogs...people were staring at me like a nutjob :)

I'm planning on running the 5k at the Des Moines Marathon in October, about a week after my program ends. To help myself I'm using the same route the race will take. It'll be an old friend when racetime comes.

I'd love some encouragement during this journey-anyone, please, feel free to add me.
  • tevez032
    tevez032 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm starting week 5 today and finding it really hard. Each time the running section is increased I feel like I'm going to die, but if I look back I can see the progress I am making.

In week 1 I was struggling with 60 second runs. Week 4 was a couple of 5 minute runs with a couple of 3 minute runs in between. This week is 10/20. Hopefully I will get through it!
  • lissarv68
    Options
    Couldn't get the stopwatch to work so instead of doing 60/90 splits, I ran from song to song. Ended up running a total of 15:28 and walking 24:01. It was killer but awesome.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I did W2D1 - woohoo! I didn't feel like I was going to die either, which was a pleasant surprise haha. I read that you're not meant to run on consecutive days, so going to use the elliptical today and do some strength training (haha, a real joke as I have ZERO upper body strength!).

Great going guys! :)
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm doing week 3. Count me in!
  • optimusmom
    optimusmom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would love to join in!

I got the app for this on my Blackberry and I'm on Week 3, Day 1. It's been slow going so far because I've been battling with nasty shin splints, but I'm working on it slowly but surely.

I'm not a big fan of running because I have terrible knee and hip joints and actually got a stress fracture in my left hip from running several years ago. I prefer to run on my treadmill as its a bit easier on my old bones and I can keep track of my interval times a bit better. All and all things are going well. I'll keep ya posted.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    So today I was a bit naughty.

Was meant NOT to run today... but I tried a new gym and *had* to give their treadmill a go.

So instead of loading the c25k programme on my phone, I decided to see if I could run. Without prompting. All on my own.

And I did!! I did a whole 15 minutes on 8.4 - and a sum total of 2k. Granted, I'd put any beetroot to shame with the colour of my face.... but wow. What a feeling!! :)
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I would love to join, planning to start on monday.
    I enjoy running but havnt done any since i found out i was pregnant my sons now a month old so am starting from zero again
    Tried a little run the other day and felt all sorts of things jiggling with lots of huffing and puffing......horrifying.
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Count me in love and feel free to add me
  • colinh1949
    colinh1949 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just did Week 9 Day 2 of C25K so I'm almost there, after 3 years off running because of illness. It's a great app and I just know you will do it. There's quite a big step up about half way but you'll know you can do it because you've got to where you are. Just stick with it and DON'T GIVE UP! Best of luck.
  • ooOOooGravy
    Options
    Its brilliant to see everyones stories about this, and congrats to yo guys so far and welcome those joining :)

Did W2D1 today and was amazed i did the 90 runs without any issues (apart from last 5 mins, has to cut short to 60sec, i was hurting) but i feel amazin for it and never thought id every be able to do almost 2 mile in 25 mins (including the warm up walk) as soon as i am doing. and another thing, i dont hurt, at all, after W1D1 i thought all my muscles and internal organs were going to collapse on me, today i had alittle tightness in the thighs, but thats it! and im going to look at better warm ups and downs to help with that :)

W2D2 will be on Monday and looking forward to it already, just going to take dogs on a really long walk tomorrow. as my exercise
  • NotGoddess
    Options
    Week 1 Day 2 completed. My calves ached like hell during the running bits and I got into a zone where I was just listening for the music to tell me to start/stop. I was kind of surprised when I heard the 5 min cooldown announced-it hadn't seemed that long. Took a 15min cooldown instead of 5 because I mis-timed when to turn around on the bike path, but that's all to the good.

15min inside and my calfs are tingling but not sore. Let's hope that stays. I don't want to be hobbling tomorrow!
  • ooOOooGravy
    Options
    Any progress reports? :)

I completed Week 2 yesterday, and as i finished that last 90 second run, i stuck my arms up in the air and shouted 'yes!!!' really loud! Like Rocky or something! lol (just glad it was 11:30 at night and no one was around lol)

It was a really brilliant feeling though, i completed it with no real trouble like id been havin through the other 2 days, my calfs were aching a little and i was obviously out of breath by the end, but i didnt care, and i felt like i could have gone and done it again!

So looking forward to W3D1 tomorrow morning! im going to eat it up, no matter how much it hurts :)
  • NotGoddess
    Options
    Week 2, Day 2 Done.

W2D1: I did 90 sec and didn't think it was that bad at all. Then I decided to do it again later that night and changed my mind. Now I know why they have a rest day built in!

W2D2: The last 2 90sec intervals weren't hard but I was pushing to complete them. I managed to get 3/4 of the way through the 5k route before the last rest period ended, which was further than before-happy about that.

W2D3 - I'm going to be running everywhere Sunday and won't have time to do my c25k, so I'll have to either run this tomorrow or push back one more day to Monday. Thoughts?
  • livinglifeandlovingit
    Options
    feel free to add me if you would like. I would like to start even though it may be a tad bit late.
  • ooOOooGravy
    Options
    feel free to add me if you would like. I would like to start even though it may be a tad bit late.

never too late, all in together :) iv only just completed week 2, 7 more to go as yet!
  • livinglifeandlovingit
    Options
    I haven't been posting things on the boards regarding c25k in a while since some of you has added me as a friend I've just been posting on my home page. Well, when I started the program I started at w5. I figured that since I was able to run 10 minutes straight I did not want to start at day 1. I did not realize that it was a 9 week ordeal. However, I like my choice. I find that now that I am in week 6 (w6d2 completed today) I am feeling better and better about running. I hope that everyone is keeping up with the challenge, as it would be nice to have some stories of success to read! Looking forward to reading future posts.

Good luck everyone.
  • Oplesandbanonos
    Oplesandbanonos Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm starting this, and the 30 day shred tomorrow. I'm so excited. anyone who wants to friend me can. I could use the encouragement.
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is W4D1 for me, a never-have-run-before gal! I am loving it! I run at 5am so I dpnt make drivers crash when they spot me! :) Best wishes all!
    Also, I started out on the treadmill... That was awful! I have been much happier outside!