Getting fat eating healthy!

Options
I have a pretty healthful diet. No soda, no sweets, lots of fruit, vegetables and whole grain. And yet my weight has just kept creeping up, from 175 at 18 years old to 230 at 32 (6'1" tall). Three days of tracking my diet show me just how easily you can get fat eating healthful food. I have been STRUGGLING to keep within my 2,060 calorie quota. Today, 100 over because I felt like having a beer with the 500-calorie turkey, black bean and low fat cheese whole grain tortilla burrito I made for dinner. Everybody acts like people gain weight from pigging out on fast food and Little Debbies. Sure, but over time the culprit can be that extra serving of fresh watermelon or a couple whole wheat crackers.

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Just because it's "healthy" doesn't mean you can ignore portion sizes!
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Just because it's "healthy" doesn't mean you can ignore portion sizes!

so true. I think that part of the reason I'm not losing as quickly as i was
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    This is my issue: overeating. I eat healthy food, I just eat too much of it.
  • TishaDawnMc
    Options
    Sadly when you're trying to lose weigh that beer just isn't an option. When you've reached a goal weight then it becomes about maintaining; that's when you can "afford" to have a beer once in a while, etc. But during a time where everything you put in your mouth counts, you have to choose wisely. Unless you intend on getting a solid work out in. I had a donut the other day, for 320 calories. It was tasty, but as I spent 40 minutes running, I determined that it was not worth it :)
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    That was our issue with food as well. I'm a good cook. I'm not an outstanding cook, but a good home cook. When you start to watch portions and fat and salt, it works. I found out I'm a pretty good HEALTHY cook too! Just set your mind to it and reduce portion sizes and you should start losing. You'll be hungry for a few days, but will adjust quickly. Try more water or unsweetened drinks too, to fill up.
    Good luck!
    Kathy
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I gained eating too much healthy food. I'm sure many others did on here also. Comfort eating way too many calories is damaging no matter where those calories came from.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Sadly when you're trying to lose weigh that beer just isn't an option.

Well, instead of skipping the beer I could have skipped the tortilla and had 60 calories left over for carrots! All about choices.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options

I disagree. I have a glass (read: bottle) of wine almost every weekend. I have also been known to have a 6 pack of beer on occasion. I lose. I just make sure it fit in with my calories for the day. I only get like 1400 right now (1/2 pound / week), I will GLADLY spend 600 cals for a bottle of wine. :drinker:
  • TishaDawnMc
    Options

Well, instead of skipping the beer I could have skipped the tortilla and had 60 calories left over for carrots! All about choices.

Very true- I just try to get the optimal benefit from the calories I eat. So to me, a beer is empty calories, whereas the wheat tortilla would be nutrition. And I avoid carrots like the plague due to the sugar... Now let me step off my high horse lol! The donut had no redeeming nutritional qualities, I just really wanted it. :)
  • spiffygirl17123
    Options
    I'm also one of the many people that struggle with portion sizes.. i love food so i tend to over eat :( it does help to track in ur food log the day before so u have all ur meals planned out... doing that saved me today.
  • smallerthighs
    Options
    Get in as much water as you can....beyond the typical 8 cups. If you have 8 cups..drink 2 more..or 2 cups of unsweetened green tea. Try to drink your first 3 cups of water as soon as you wake up. It will help curb your appetite tremendously. Even with healthy eating...you still have to be mindful of calories...and portions. Calories..whether good calories or bad calories....are still calories......they add up quickly. Add a beer to the equation..and "Bam". Fruits and beer..are loaded with calories. When you eat fruit...watch the portion size. You'd be very shocked to find out how small 1serving is...most times people will easily eat 4 servings of something , thinking it's only one......and realize they just turned a 300 calorie dish..into 1200. Watch the portions.