Shrinking out of all my clothes

Options
I've lost nearly 70 pounds since June, 68 if we're being exact, and I keep shrinking out of my clothes. Which is a good thing-I'm not complaining at ALL, I was just wondering what other people have done in this situation. I still have about 60 or so pounds to loose until I'm at my initial goal weight so I'm not done loosing weight yet. Clothes I bought in October, which were a few sizes smaller than I was originally, are too big now. How did you guys pace yourselves buying clothes while loosing weight?

Replies

• Vonny198334
    Vonny198334 Posts: 178 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I tend to buy one size down of things (than I currently am) when I see them at a bargain because it seems every 2/3 weeks my body is changing.

Charity shops don't seem to have age appropriate wear for me in my area :(, but I am more than happy to pay £5 for a pair of trousers or jeans from Primark, outlet shops or from supermarket sales racks.(bought a new dress for £8.20 the other day...beaut!) I always have something to wear & something to try on which fits better each time I do. It's quite a lift! I'm also a fan of belts, things with drawstrings (extra time before the backside gets baggy!) & tops/jumpers/dresses that look good both tight & loose. Think I've slowed to one or two items a month now which is nearly always less than £20 all in.... definitely saved that much on the food bills, so I don't see it as extravagance.

It's hard not to go overboard when there is a whole new world of clothes that have opened up to me, but I have to try & be good. Remind myself that I can make my bank account cry all I want when I get to goal haha XD

For me, it's important to dress to my changing shape. Gives me confidence & let's my brain register the changes with something tangible. In 5 months I've went from a size 18/20 on top to a 12. On bottom I'm currently a 16 (began at 22)but some of those are loosening up too. It's all worth it though, hey?
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,472 Member
    Options
    I just spent the money. I went from dressing like an unmade bed to the office fashion plate. I found a tailor who taught me how to dress.

Taking pride in my appearance was a game changer. Nothing better than clothes that fit right.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Second hand stores.
  • Jingsi84
    Jingsi84 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I use infant safety pins to hold up my suit pants/skirts because I need to wear suits to work but they are expensive. I plan to get the pants tailored when I am down a total of 3 sizes but then I still plan to lose 2-3 more sizes so I’ll likely be pinning again. That is unless the jackets start to look too wonky.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I wear gym clothes pretty much constantly now. Leggings are the only thing working for me now. Fortunately for me, I work from home so I don't have to dress nice. I buy one pair of jeans in my current size. And one or two cute tops for when I need to go out somewhere and look semi presentable.
    If I needed nicer clothes I would likely hit up clearance racks and thrift stores, so I don't feel like I'm wasting too much money!
  • KeepOnMovjng
    KeepOnMovjng Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Don't know about your area but what are you doing with your clothes that are too big to wear?
    If you're prepared to throw them away. In the UK we have a place called a weigh and pay. Where you take bags of clothes and get money back for them. Sadly you don't get much in return between clothes and price but it goes towards a new outfit and better than having clothes that are no good in the wardrobe. Plus the clothes given to weigh and pay go to charities or third world countries. Maybe worth seeing if you've got any places like it local.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Have a clothing swap with friends. Everyone brings stuff they don't want to wear anymore and walks away with new pieces (in new sizes). Donate the leftovers to charity. Or just find a friend or coworker in your new size who's cleaning out their closet!

Check out Old Navy, Kohl's, TJ Maxx, Marshall's and other stores that offer large discounts. Select a few basics for work to mix and match.

Dresses are great during weight loss - they tend to be the most forgiving, and usually still wear well as you drop a few sizes.
  • CryingBlue
    CryingBlue Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I shop at Goodwill and ware a lot of dresses and leggings. I don't have a formal job so no suites to worry about. If you shop thrift stores often enough its not too hard to put together trendy outfits.
  • azironasun
    azironasun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    While in transition, I shop Goodwill for slacks and shirts for work.
    I then donate the 'too big' clothes back to Goodwill.
  • lancenuovo
    lancenuovo Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've lost nearly 70 pounds since June, 68 if we're being exact, and I keep shrinking out of my clothes. Which is a good thing-I'm not complaining at ALL, I was just wondering what other people have done in this situation. I still have about 60 or so pounds to loose until I'm at my initial goal weight so I'm not done loosing weight yet. Clothes I bought in October, which were a few sizes smaller than I was originally, are too big now. How did you guys pace yourselves buying clothes while loosing weight?

good for you! what a reward that must feel like. cant wait till i have the same issue!
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores, Wal-Mart, and stretchy knits are my best friends. I find some serious bargains in my local thrift shops. Unfortunately, I'm still in plus size pants which are next to impossible to find used. I buy those mostly at Wal-Mart. Still pretty cheap and they have a good selection. I don't care if they are low quality because I don't plan on wearing them more than a few months. Burlington, TJ Maxx, Ross, and Marshall's have good deals when I need something nice.

If you have trendy or expensive clothes in good shape look into selling or trading them through a resale shop. I used to trade all my clothes through a place called Buffalo Exchange when I was a fashionable teen. I hear from other sellers on eBay that plus size clothes get a good price and move fast.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    these: https://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Fashion-Fit-Clip-Black/dp/B00AF8Q4ES/ref=cts_ap_2_vtp or a more decorative "cardigan clip" can go a long way in improving the fit of now looser dresses and shirts. Not much you can do for skirts falling off your hips other than a tailor or shopping.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    For non-athletic gear (skirts, dresses, tops), I usually try Amvets (2nd hand like Goodwill, Salvation Army) or have the 'Amazon Fairy' bring me an assortment of sizes/cuts of more inexpensive items to try on (the latter is what I mostly do for athletic gear).
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores. Of course I've always shopped thrifts so it's no big change. I can't justify spending mall prices when I can get the same stuff for $5 at a thrift. And I don't like wearing baggy clothes. I feel better about myself when dressed nicely. That motivates me to keep losing. And lemme tell ya. It's way easier to find nice stuff in a 16 (soon to be 14) than a 24w in the thrifts. Lol