CrossFit

Options
Hello Everyone! I recently discovered CrossFit - and I am hooked! The problem is that I hit my exercise hard for the 60 minutes, but it changes every day, so I'm having a hard time logging my exercise. Is there a "general" amount I should put down for calories burned? Have other CrossFit'ers firgured out an easy way to log your exercise? Do you put it under strength, or cardio? Do you split it up? Seems like a lot of work to log each workout - but I want to be accountable. Any tips?

Replies

• ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I created a general Crossfit workout under cardio and just guess the calories burned.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I log 12 calories per minute for the duration of the actual WOD. I probably don't burn that much per minute exactly, but it's an estimate I found online and by the time you take the warmup and strength training into account, I don't think it's overly high.
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I don't log it. As mention above, I use a notebook. I write down my workout. I keep a list of my weights for each lift.

I also havea benchmark workout that I do every 2 months. I like to see my progress. :)

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I recently discovered CrossFit - and I am hooked!

2607ae7fbae3342bc39330680f9ba8d5--funny-gym-humor-crossfit-funny.jpg
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I dont track caloried burned from crossfit on here. According to my fitbit my total daily calorie burn is anywhere between 2200 and 3200. I average 2200 intake daily.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Hello Everyone! I recently discovered CrossFit - and I am hooked!

2607ae7fbae3342bc39330680f9ba8d5--funny-gym-humor-crossfit-funny.jpg

Instead of white button downs and messenger bags we have booty shorts and knee tape. Jealous?

ETA: :)

@MistressSara

Ha... I actually like Crossfit (don't tell my friends).

Here at our home it's affectionately known as 'our lil' cult'.

and yes, I'm quite familiar with the crossfire kit consisting of: Booty Shorts, Sports Bra, Tall Socks, Reebok Nanos & knee wraps.

• KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Before I had an activity tracker is used to log 300 cals for the hour long session under circuit training in the cardio section. Now I have a fitness tracker I find the cals recorded are anywhere between 250 and 500 depending on the intensity of the session in terms of getting my heart rate up. Long chipper WOD = higher cals burned where as a weight lifting focused session will be less. Log it at a rough estimate and eat some or all the cals back. If you aren't losing at the rate expected log and eat less or if you are loosing more then log more and eat more.
  • cbohling1987
    cbohling1987 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    As an avid Crossfitter I've found that it's basically impossible to get a consistent measurement of calorie burn because the workouts are so varied. It's one of the downsides of CF as opposed to just, say, running.

Here's my recommendation: If you are going to Crossfit on a regular schedule, don't worry about trying to figure out the burn from individual workouts. Just log your intake accurately for a month or two and you will probably figure out what "maintenance" eating is for you if you are regularly going to Crossfit classes. Then, you can simply eat under or over that depending on your goals.

Basically through trial and error, I've found that I maintain on about 2100 calories if I'm not exercising at all, but if I'm doing CF 5 times a week I actually have to eat closer to 2600 to maintain (that's 2600 on rest days too).
  • cbohling1987
    Options
    Also I dunno if you're trying to lose, but in my experience losing while doing Crossfit was a frustrating experience. You have to be comfortable with your results getting worse for some workouts.
  • adheadrick14
    adheadrick14 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What I've tried doing to track WODs is just logging them as "calisthenics (vigorous effort)," then if the WOD has any running, I know how fast I generally run 400 and 800m, I'll deduct it from the total amount of time it took me to complete the WOD and track it separately. The same goes for rowing. As far as weightlifting goes, since it's so hard to approximate how much time is spent doing it (unless you're doing something like Grace or Isabelle, or it's actually timed somehow), I tend to not even bother tracking it. This method has worked well for me so far, so hopefully it'll work for you, too. :smile:
  • adheadrick14
    adheadrick14 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Also I dunno if you're trying to lose, but in my experience losing while doing Crossfit was a frustrating experience. You have to be comfortable with your results getting worse for some workouts.

Totally agree with this. Since I started back consistently doing CrossFit 4-5 days a week back in September, I've had a couple to a few weeks where my weight loss has either stagnated or I've gained a little, which was very frustrating.
    My advice there is to just know that your body is going to go through a decent amount of recomp doing CrossFit, so try and focus on your non-scale victories (like PRs, measuring instead of weighing, or even how your clothes fit better) to help get you through those frustrating times when the number on the scale isn't moving. Best of luck to you, and welcome to the cult lol! <3
  • cbohling1987
    Options

Yep. And water retention in the beginning threw scale weight off. In regard to performance i really had to resign myself to "I can only do the best I can do" and with body composition I used tape measure, clothing, and photos.

Totally agree with this. Since I started back consistently doing CrossFit 4-5 days a week back in September, I've had a couple to a few weeks where my weight loss has either stagnated or I've gained a little, which was very frustrating.
    My advice there is to just know that your body is going to go through a decent amount of recomp doing CrossFit, so try and focus on your non-scale victories (like PRs, measuring instead of weighing, or even how your clothes fit better) to help get you through those frustrating times when the number on the scale isn't moving. Best of luck to you, and welcome to the cult lol! <3

That too, though what I was mostly referring to was being frustrated that my results for certain activities were getting worse (i.e. 1rm back squat and deadlift). I've had to make a choice between continuing to lose vs. improving my performance. I decided my weight was OK and chose performance.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I did CF years ago and just created a generic entry and chalked it up to about 500 calories for 60 minutes.