Chicago- Gem winter running spots?

Options
Hey all,

Travelling to Chicago later this month for work, staying at the downtown Hyatt. Have never been to Chicago before but it looks like I am staying pretty close to a sizeable park or series of parks on the lake. Are there any awesome winter running spots in there I should try?

Thanks!

Replies

• amelisegb
    amelisegb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It was -6 on Tuesday morning, sometimes ice on the sidewalks are slippery, windchill and such make it feel colder!! If you're used to the climate go for it, but it's way too cold for me to run outside. That said, I know a lot of people are still out there. I'll be nice and warm inside my gym :)
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    amelisegb wrote: »
    It was -6 on Tuesday morning, sometimes ice on the sidewalks are slippery, windchill and such make it feel colder!! If you're used to the climate go for it, but it's way too cold for me to run outside. That said, I know a lot of people are still out there. I'll be nice and warm inside my gym :)

I live in Toronto so the climate part of it is fine. I love winter running! :)
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Well you must go to the lakefront! Unless of course there are 30 mph winds, then no, it'll be dangerous with the waves. There are a couple of Hyatts downtown, but I'm assuming you're at the one on Wacker, you can head north towards Navy Pier and you'll see some beautiful skylines from the pier. The lakefront trail is 23 miles long, and you're kind of in the middle of it. Any direction would be fine. You could run south and go through Grant Park or Millenium Park (stop by the Bean). Lots of trees and sculptures and statues to look at.

if you want to go with a group, look into local running stores, they may have a free fun run, Fleet feet in Old Town is likely the closest. or look on Meetup.com for other groups.

How far are you going? Time of day? It's still dark at 7am.
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    bebeisfit wrote: »
    Well you must go to the lakefront! Unless of course there are 30 mph winds, then no, it'll be dangerous with the waves. There are a couple of Hyatts downtown, but I'm assuming you're at the one on Wacker, you can head north towards Navy Pier and you'll see some beautiful skylines from the pier. The lakefront trail is 23 miles long, and you're kind of in the middle of it. Any direction would be fine. You could run south and go through Grant Park or Millenium Park (stop by the Bean). Lots of trees and sculptures and statues to look at.

if you want to go with a group, look into local running stores, they may have a free fun run, Fleet feet in Old Town is likely the closest. or look on Meetup.com for other groups.

How far are you going? Time of day? It's still dark at 7am.

Great info thanks!!! Depending on my work schedule I'll be running around 7:30 AM and/or at lunch. Hoping to see some cool stuff. :)
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    When I stayed downtown, I went up and down Michigan Avenue for a quickie run and checked out all the stores while the sidewalks were empty. But I agree, lakefront and parks (Lincoln Park around the Zoo) are really lovely. Just check the weather right before you come, maybe you'll bring some toasty temps with you?
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Lakeshore Trail is great and typically safe! Hopefully it's warmer at the end of the month. I typically run on the 606 when it's day time but it's a much shorter trail and not close to downtown.